Rookie Mistake!

quenya

Jan 14, 2010
I'll start by saying I had my powertap SL+ serviced in early may and the internals were changed to the newer generation electronics... Previously my powertap zero offset never shifted (it changed when the firmware update messed up the numbers, and when it blew a torque tube in may otherwise it was *always* the same) since I got the new PT I manually zero every ride... whatever no big deal. When I zero the thing the zero offset jumps from 501 to 516 +/-1 and the power displayed seems to come up a bit, ~20 watts or so. Sunday was the district TT championships at Sattley. I went pretty well, I was feeling good on course, speed was good... but my power was lower than I expected. After the race it occurred to me that I'd warmed up on a different pair of wheels, I didn't manually zero! Average power was ~265 and normalized only a tad higher, my recent FTP sessions/tests at home and at essentially sea level have been suggesting an FTP of ~310. I knew from last year that I'd go faster on less power at Sattley (~4500ft) but I'd expected to be 10-15 watts above last years powers not 10-15 watts lower. It may have worked out because, while I knew I couldn't go a ton harder I did push a bit harder, especially on the way back and into the wind... I set a PR and earned the right to buy an NCNCA champion skin suit but I wish I knew my actual data.

Nice job up at Sattley. Bummer about the data.

What was your 40K time?

Ironically Kevin Metcalf had a similar experience while setting a new national record and going sub 50 minutes. Some issues with his SRM and it seems his power data wasn't accurate. Clearly both of your results weren't hurt by the bad power readings.

Nicely done!

-Dave

It was nowhere near as fast as Metcalf's; 53:26.2. Why are the 30-34 master such a consistently 'soft' category? Elites, 35,40,45,50+ seem to be much faster.

Originally Posted by quenya .

... 53:26.2....
Dude, I'd kill for a 53 and change 40K!

My best time to date is still over 56 and I doubt even 5000' at Sattley would take three minutes off that time. Fantastic job!

Thanks, Dave. I'm still over the moon about it, it was the first sanctioned race I've won. And, my power data is off... 😭

Originally Posted by quenya .

It was nowhere near as fast as Metcalf's; 53:26.2.

Why are the 30-34 master such a consistently 'soft' category? Elites, 35,40,45,50+ seem to be much faster.
Just some wild speculation, the 40 - 55 year age groups might be full of guys who are recently divorced, plus the kids have probably left home.

The equation is a simple one;

No nagging wife + no 80 hour work weeks to pay for the kids school/university studies = good results on the bike.

PS - 53:26 is a really good time.

Whatever it is I will be aiming for continued improvement so that when I'm racing 35+ (or 50+) I can still compete...