Rookie needing help

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by Nekrosis, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Nekrosis

Nekrosis New Member

Some background info: Last time I was on a bike was in grade 7 and it was a BMX which me and my dad had restored, anyways long story short I got cocky, took it off a jump, missed the kicker by about 3 feet into a prickle bush and gravel combination. Lesson learned.

Recent information: Am currently training for the army and am getting up to speed on cardiovascular health/strength training, and losing a little weight. Recently moved closer to work, around a fifteen minute car ride due to road construction. However, I'm looking to purchase a road bicycle (jumps no longer appeal to me) on a pretty small budget (100-300) just to get into it and see how well I like it. It will be used for commuting from to and from work, getting to the gym, and leisure riding. I've searched the local Walmart website and they have a Raleigh Record listed at $299 however I cannot find any recent information on this bicycle as when googled it shows listings as a vintage bike. I also Craiglisted and found a bunch of vintage Raleigh bikes in good shape for $100-$250. What should I do in regards to a starter road bike? Also, what size should I be looking for I'm 5'10, and about 199 lbs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tags:

2. cycleheimer

cycleheimer New Member

Make sure you find a bike with the right frame size for you. At 5'10" you will most likely need a 58CM (23") frame if you are buying a road bike. Probably a 20" frame if you are looking at an mountain bike. Make sure to avoid frame siaes that are too big, or too small. They can be both inefficient and dangerous to ride. They are not a good deal at any price if they don't fit you correctly, which is kind of the way it is with shoes. You can look up frame siaing on the internet. If you are mechanically inclined, Bikes Direct & Randall Scott & Nashbar & Performance often have good prices on bikes online. Buying online, though, isn't like buying from an LBS. It is more like buying a bike on Craig's List or e-bay. You are kind of on your own. Nashbar and Performance are probably better than the first two online merchants when something goes wrong. Make sure any used bike is used but not abused., preferably a "garage queen" that collected dust. In your price range, check out the Japanese bikes from the '80s (Fuji, Miyata, etc.) They were nicely made.

3. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

I'm going to disagree on the frame size(s) you should select ...

I think you will be happier if you choose the respective frame type which is one size smaller than cycleheimer has suggested ...

I would suggest:
    • 56cm-57cm ROAD frame
    • 16"-18" MTB frame

4. cycleheimer

cycleheimer New Member

That might work. Best to try both sizes to see which one fits you best.

5. Nekrosis

Nekrosis New Member

Raleigh 12 spd

I found this bike seems reasonably good and I'm sure she can be haggled. I also got my height measured at the gym today post-haircut, I'm actually 5' 8.5" and my legs aren't very long.

6. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

If you're 5'8.5" then the particular Craigslist bike should work for you ...

7. Nekrosis

Nekrosis New Member

Alright excellent, I'm going to pick it up next Friday. Time to uninsure the car, and start being extra healthy and green. As far as older bikes go, should I take it into a bike shop and have them do some maintenance on it, or is it pretty basic and stuff I can do at home?