Rookie Road Tire Question

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Rotwang, May 30, 2003.

  1. Rotwang

    Rotwang Guest

    Hello, I just upgraded to a road bike after a few years of riding a mountain bike mainly on paved
    trails (mostly the Silver Comet Trail outside Atlanta). My new bike, a Bianchi Strada, has 700x25c
    tires. Most of the tires I see for sale in the various cycling catalogs are
    700x23c. If I decide to replace the tires on my bike, can I use the 700x23c tires, or would I also
    have to replace the wheels?

    Thanks for any help, Rotwang

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Rotwang <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > My new bike, a Bianchi Strada, has 700x25c tires. Most of the tires I see for sale in the various
    > cycling catalogs are
    > 700x23c. If I decide to replace the tires on my bike, can I use the 700x23c tires

    Yes

  3. > Hello, I just upgraded to a road bike after a few years of riding a mountain bike mainly on paved
    > trails (mostly the Silver Comet Trail outside Atlanta). My new bike, a Bianchi Strada, has 700x25c
    > tires. Most of the tires I see for sale in the various cycling catalogs are
    > 700x23c. If I decide to replace the tires on my bike, can I use the 700x23c tires, or would I
    > also have to replace the wheels?

    The Bianchi website lists Mavic CXP22 rims; you should be able to using anything from 20c (but why
    would you???) up to 28c without trouble. Your present 25c tires will give a more comfortable ride
    than a 23c, and be less likely to puncture if ridden at slightly lower than recommended presure.

    When you change tires, make sure you have a high-quality rim tape, not a rubber one (which sometimes
    comes on stock bikes).

  4. Snortley

    Snortley Guest

    Check the width of the space in your fork and between the seatstays and read this article:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html

    You got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there.

    - Yogi Berra

  5. "Rotwang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello, I just upgraded to a road bike after a few years of riding a mountain bike mainly on paved
    > trails (mostly the Silver Comet Trail outside Atlanta). My new bike, a Bianchi Strada, has 700x25c
    > tires. Most of the tires I see for sale in the various cycling catalogs are
    > 700x23c. If I decide to replace the tires on my bike, can I use the 700x23c tires, or would I
    > also have to replace the wheels?

    700x23 will work fine, but I would going the extra mile and find 700x25. They are more comfortable
    can be used on rougher terrain, can be run at lower pressure and are not slower.

  6. Rainman

    Rainman Guest

    Stay with the 25c. You may have more flats with a 23c and your bike may be a little more difficult
    to handle. You don't need to replace the wheels and can go to wider tires if so desired.

    Regards,

    Rotwang <[email protected]>
    > If I decide to replace the tires on my bike, can I use the 700x23c tires, or would I also have to
    > replace the wheels?

  7. Rotwang

    Rotwang Guest

    Thanks to all for the replies.