Rookie Road Tire Question

Rotwang

Guest
Hello, I just upgraded to a road bike after a few years of riding a mountain bike mainly on paved
trails (mostly the Silver Comet Trail outside Atlanta). My new bike, a Bianchi Strada, has 700x25c
tires. Most of the tires I see for sale in the various cycling catalogs are
700x23c. If I decide to replace the tires on my bike, can I use the 700x23c tires, or would I also
have to replace the wheels?

Thanks for any help, Rotwang

Rotwang <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> My new bike, a Bianchi Strada, has 700x25c tires. Most of the tires I see for sale in the various
> cycling catalogs are
> 700x23c. If I decide to replace the tires on my bike, can I use the 700x23c tires

Yes

> Hello, I just upgraded to a road bike after a few years of riding a mountain bike mainly on paved
> trails (mostly the Silver Comet Trail outside Atlanta). My new bike, a Bianchi Strada, has 700x25c
> tires. Most of the tires I see for sale in the various cycling catalogs are
> 700x23c. If I decide to replace the tires on my bike, can I use the 700x23c tires, or would I
> also have to replace the wheels?

The Bianchi website lists Mavic CXP22 rims; you should be able to using anything from 20c (but why
would you???) up to 28c without trouble. Your present 25c tires will give a more comfortable ride
than a 23c, and be less likely to puncture if ridden at slightly lower than recommended presure.

When you change tires, make sure you have a high-quality rim tape, not a rubber one (which sometimes
comes on stock bikes).

"Rotwang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello, I just upgraded to a road bike after a few years of riding a mountain bike mainly on paved
> trails (mostly the Silver Comet Trail outside Atlanta). My new bike, a Bianchi Strada, has 700x25c
> tires. Most of the tires I see for sale in the various cycling catalogs are
> 700x23c. If I decide to replace the tires on my bike, can I use the 700x23c tires, or would I
> also have to replace the wheels?

700x23 will work fine, but I would going the extra mile and find 700x25. They are more comfortable
can be used on rougher terrain, can be run at lower pressure and are not slower.

Stay with the 25c. You may have more flats with a 23c and your bike may be a little more difficult
to handle. You don't need to replace the wheels and can go to wider tires if so desired.

Regards,

Rotwang <[email protected]>