General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Rose hip jam / jelly / syrup?

Started by Merlin · · Last activity · 3 posts · 213 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
8 April 2007
Last activity
9 April 2007
Original author
Merlin
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
213
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Does anyone have any advice please for making rose hip products?

    I recall enjoying rose hip jam from one of the central European
    countries many years ago, and Delrosa rose hip syrup from my childhood,
    and recently I have found a French source of reasonable rose hip jam.

    But how to make it oneself? First you need to pick a heck of a lot of
    rose hips! If you get over that hurdle then you have to separate the
    outer bit which tastes and looks good from the hairy interior which
    doesn't. And then you need to turn it into some sort of paste and make
    it set.

    I tried once and it was not a success - anyone out there been
    successful?

    Thanks

    Merl


  2. Quoted message said:

    Does anyone have any advice please for making rose hip products?

    I recall enjoying rose hip jam from one of the central European
    countries many years ago, and Delrosa rose hip syrup from my childhood,
    and recently I have found a French source of reasonable rose hip jam.

    But how to make it oneself? First you need to pick a heck of a lot of
    rose hips! If you get over that hurdle then you have to separate the
    outer bit which tastes and looks good from the hairy interior which
    doesn't. And then you need to turn it into some sort of paste and make
    it set.

    As a child I used to pick rose hips, which my a mother made into a thick
    jam. ISTR she used a food mill at some stage of the process, I presume to
    get rid of the seeds.

    Sorry not to remember more. I hope a web search can help you further.

    Quoted message said:


    I tried once and it was not a success - anyone out there been
    successful?

    Thanks

    Merl

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Merlin) said:

    Does anyone have any advice please for making rose hip products?

    I recall enjoying rose hip jam from one of the central European
    countries many years ago, and Delrosa rose hip syrup from my childhood,
    and recently I have found a French source of reasonable rose hip jam.

    But how to make it oneself? First you need to pick a heck of a lot of
    rose hips! If you get over that hurdle then you have to separate the
    outer bit which tastes and looks good from the hairy interior which
    doesn't. And then you need to turn it into some sort of paste and make
    it set.

    I tried once and it was not a success - anyone out there been
    successful?

    I have not made it but I have more than a few recipes for it and would
    love to make it. _ Joy of Cooking_, where I looked first, says to wait
    until after the first frost to pick the hips and, of course, to be
    careful not to use any that have been sprayed. After cooking, she says
    to rub it through a fine sieve and then weigh the pulp for the purpose
    of adjusting your recipe.

    Jeanne Lesem, in _Preserving in Today's Kitchen_, says that at least 3/4
    of the hips should be bright red. The rest should be mature but unripe.
    She says to use scissors to remove the blossom ends.

    In _Mes Confitures_, Christine Ferber discusses 2 methods. In the first
    method, she removes the stems & caps and then cuts them in half
    lengthwise, removing the seeds and hair by hand before cooking. In the
    second method, she removes the stems & caps, cooks them, and then puts
    them through a food mill several times using progressively finer disk
    each time. Then she uses a sieve after that.

    I hope these tips help.

    Emma

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.