Roswell Crit: day 6 Roswell,GA

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jason Waddell, May 5, 2003.

  1. Well its all over now. This has been a great week of racing and I am really looking forward to the
    rest of the year. I know now what I need to work on and what I need to improve to get myself to that
    next level. I don't know that I will make it to the level that I aspire and want to be at, but I am
    so close now...

    The race: I vowed after last nights debacle that I would start in the front and stay in the front. I
    lead out the first lap and after that went with almost every single move that went. Klasna (Saturn)
    and Henderson(7UP) were off the front for 20 laps or so and Navigators tried to bring them close
    enough to get a guy across. This didn't work the first time, so after 10 laps of chasing Klasna and
    Henderson's gap held.

    Next time around Shroeder Iron helped the Navigators and the break was finally caught. This is where
    I screwed up, I missed one move that was very promising with everyone in it. The field sat up on the
    very narrow course and I couldn't get around. After 3 full basically parade laps the break was only
    10 seconds in front of the field? They had the gap if they wanted it, but didn't drive it home. At
    this time two of the Jittery Joe's guys(Lawler and ???) went to the front with my teammate Nick
    Kiernan(Mathis Bros) and for 3 laps straight my guy and those two steadily brought the break back.
    It was about 6 laps to go at this time.

    Field sprint time, I was really excited that tonights race was coming down to a field sprint that I
    forgot to sprint. Not really, but without teammates to help you to the front and after following
    numerous attacks throughout the race you have trouble fighting for those valuable few places on the
    final laps. I was in 10th with one lap to go and my legs wouldn't let me move up at all, my snap was
    gone. Passed two guys in the long sprint and saw Meza and Carney get jiggy with it up front. That
    was exciting to watch. Oh yeah, I got 8th.

    Thanks for reading everyone, Jason Waddell Mathis Brothers Elite Team

    Tags:

  2. Thanks for the report Jason; you looked good out there. At the time, I couldn't figure out why that
    late break with Horner & co. didn't stay away either, but heard later from someone in it that he was
    telling guys to ease up. Interesting, considering the outcome...and good for you! ;-)

    "Jason Waddell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well its all over now. This has been a great week of racing and I am
    really
    > looking forward to the rest of the year. I know now what I need to work
    on and
    > what I need to improve to get myself to that next level. I don't know
    that I
    > will make it to the level that I aspire and want to be at, but I am so
    close
    > now...
    >
    > The race: I vowed after last nights debacle that I would start in the
    front
    > and stay in the front. I lead out the first lap and after that went with almost every single move
    > that went. Klasna (Saturn) and Henderson(7UP)
    were
    > off the front for 20 laps or so and Navigators tried to bring them close
    enough
    > to get a guy across. This didn't work the first time, so after 10 laps of chasing Klasna and
    > Henderson's gap held.
    >
    > Next time around Shroeder Iron helped the Navigators and the break was
    finally
    > caught. This is where I screwed up, I missed one move that was very
    promising
    > with everyone in it. The field sat up on the very narrow course and I
    couldn't
    > get around. After 3 full basically parade laps the break was only 10
    seconds
    > in front of the field? They had the gap if they wanted it, but didn't
    drive it
    > home. At this time two of the Jittery Joe's guys(Lawler and ???) went to
    the
    > front with my teammate Nick Kiernan(Mathis Bros) and for 3 laps straight
    my guy
    > and those two steadily brought the break back. It was about 6 laps to go
    at
    > this time.
    >
    > Field sprint time, I was really excited that tonights race was coming
    down to
    > a field sprint that I forgot to sprint. Not really, but without teammates
    > help you to the front and after following numerous attacks throughout the
    race
    > you have trouble fighting for those valuable few places on the final laps.
    > was in 10th with one lap to go and my legs wouldn't let me move up at all,
    my
    > snap was gone. Passed two guys in the long sprint and saw Meza and Carney
    get
    > jiggy with it up front. That was exciting to watch. Oh yeah, I got 8th.
    >
    > Thanks for reading everyone, Jason Waddell Mathis Brothers Elite Team

  3. Bob Parker

    Bob Parker Guest

    [email protected] (Jason Waddell) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... snip

    Passed two guys in the long sprint and saw Meza and Carney get
    > jiggy with it up front. That was exciting to watch. Oh yeah, I got 8th.
    >
    > Thanks for reading everyone, Jason Waddell Mathis Brothers Elite Team

    Thanks for the great reports from the inside. After reading about the controversial finish, and
    noticing your placing, I was looking forward to your opinion. But I can understand if you do not
    want to go there.

    Bob Parker