rotating saddle nose slightly off center?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Aljan12, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. Aljan12

    Aljan12 Guest

    Hi all, Has anyone tried this?... turning the saddle slightly to one side for increased comfort?
    John Cobb seems to advocate this on his website. He claims 5 degrees left or right rotation of the
    saddle nose off-center will enable a person to sit properly and more comfortably while riding. This
    is news to me, but I'm going to try it and report back. Regards, Al

    Tags:

  2. "Aljan12" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all, Has anyone tried this?... turning the saddle slightly to one side for
    increased
    > comfort? John Cobb seems to advocate this on his website. He claims 5 degrees left
    or
    > right rotation of the saddle nose off-center will enable a person to sit properly and more
    > comfortably while riding. This is news to me, but I'm going to try it and report back. Regards, Al

    Turn the nose of the saddle to the opposite of the side you 'dress' on. You will have more room and
    be more comfortable, longer. It doesn't take much. It is worth the try.

  3. Jean

    Jean Guest

    "Aljan12" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | Hi all, Has anyone tried this?... turning the saddle slightly to one side for
    increased
    | comfort? John Cobb seems to advocate this on his website. He claims 5 degrees left
    or
    | right rotation of the saddle nose off-center will enable a person to sit properly and more
    | comfortably while riding. This is news to me, but I'm going to try it and report back. Regards, Al

    Yeah, I have my saddle slightly pointed to one side - it makes a world of difference in comfort for
    me (...kinda found that out by accident when the bike fell and the saddle got pushed a bit to one
    side. Liked it so much I will always set my bike up that way...)

    Jean

  4. Roofi

    Roofi Guest

    I had a seat accidentally setup like that in a triathlon. Chafed a hole in the side of my leg, just
    near the goolies. Hurt like hell. I was wearing Speedos at the time, maybe it wouldn't happen with
    nix. Don't intend to try it again though.

    "Aljan12" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... Hi
    all, Has anyone tried this?... turning the saddle slightly to one side for increased comfort? John
    Cobb seems to advocate this on his website. He claims 5 degrees left or right rotation of the saddle
    nose off-center will enable a person to sit properly and more comfortably while riding. This is news
    to me, but I'm going to try it and report back. Regards, Al

  5. Jimp

    Jimp Guest

    Personally, I find it more of a comfort when down in the aero bars of my tri bike. Not as
    significant when on my road bike.

    "Aljan12" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all, Has anyone tried this?... turning the saddle slightly to one side for
    increased
    > comfort? John Cobb seems to advocate this on his website. He claims 5 degrees left
    or
    > right rotation of the saddle nose off-center will enable a person to sit properly and more
    > comfortably while riding. This is news to me, but I'm going to try it and report back. Regards, Al

  6. Grindstone

    Grindstone Guest

    I tried it at a very slight (5 degrees is the recommendation) angle and I find it to be somewhat
    more comfortable on my road bike using a serfas narrow saddle. (angled opposite "dress side").
    "Aljan12" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all, Has anyone tried this?... turning the saddle slightly to one side for
    increased
    > comfort? John Cobb seems to advocate this on his website. He claims 5 degrees left
    or
    > right rotation of the saddle nose off-center will enable a person to sit properly and more
    > comfortably while riding. This is news to me, but I'm going to try it and report back. Regards, Al

  7. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Aljan12 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all, Has anyone tried this?... turning the saddle slightly to one side for
    increased
    > comfort? John Cobb seems to advocate this on his website. He claims 5 degrees left
    or
    > right rotation of the saddle nose off-center will enable a person to sit properly and more
    > comfortably while riding. This is news to me, but I'm going to try it and report back. Regards, Al

    Funny you should mention this just now - I found _myself_ automatically sitting slightly skewed on
    my (straight) saddle recently, then turned it slightly to one side so I could sit straight and get
    the same result. Never heard mention of it before now, though. Guess my nuts can think for
    themselves, then, heheheh......

    Cheers!

    Shaun aRe

  8. Matt Locker

    Matt Locker Guest

    Al:

    Yes I am doing this also. It just seemed like the right thing to do to cure some inner thigh rub &
    it seems to work fine. I think I rotated my saddle no more than about 2-3 degrees but it works.

    MOO, Matt

    Aljan12 wrote:

    >Hi all, Has anyone tried this?... turning the saddle slightly to one side for increased comfort?
    >John Cobb seems to advocate this on his website. He claims 5 degrees left or right rotation of the
    >saddle nose off-center will enable a person to sit properly and more comfortably while riding. This
    >is news to me, but I'm going to try it and report back. Regards, Al

  9. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Dave Thompson wrote:
    > "Aljan12" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Hi all, Has anyone tried this?... turning the saddle slightly to one side for
    >
    > increased
    >
    >>comfort? John Cobb seems to advocate this on his website. He claims 5 degrees left
    >
    > or
    >
    >>right rotation of the saddle nose off-center will enable a person to sit properly and more
    >>comfortably while riding. This is news to me, but I'm going to try it and report back. Regards, Al
    >

    > Turn the nose of the saddle to the opposite of the side you 'dress' on. You will have more room
    > and be more comfortable, longer. It doesn't take much. It is worth the try.

    What do you mean by the side that you dress on?

    David

  10. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dave Thompson wrote:

    > > Turn the nose of the saddle to the opposite of the side you 'dress' on.
    You
    > > will have more room and be more comfortable, longer. It doesn't take
    much.
    > > It is worth the try.
    > >

    > What do you mean by the side that you dress on?

    Which side yer dingles dangles when at rest.

    Shaun aRe

  11. "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dave Thompson wrote:
    > > "Aljan12" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >>Hi all, Has anyone tried this?... turning the saddle slightly to one side for
    > >
    > > increased
    > >
    > >>comfort? John Cobb seems to advocate this on his website. He claims 5 degrees
    left

    > > or
    > >
    > >>right rotation of the saddle nose off-center will enable a person to sit properly and more
    > >>comfortably while riding. This is news to me, but I'm going to try it and report back.
    > >>Regards, Al
    > >

    > > Turn the nose of the saddle to the opposite of the side you 'dress' on.
    You
    > > will have more room and be more comfortable, longer. It doesn't take
    much.
    > > It is worth the try.
    > >

    > What do you mean by the side that you dress on?
    >
    > David

    When you are standing, with slacks on, which pantleg do the 'boys' want to be in? Most men have a
    preference to "dress" on the left or right side. If you were to go to a tailor to have your slacks
    altered, he most likely would ask you what side you "dress" on so he could make slightly more room
    on that side.

  12. David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Dave Thompson wrote:
    >>Turn the nose of the saddle to the opposite of the side you 'dress' on. You will have more room
    >>and be more comfortable, longer. It doesn't take much. It is worth the try.
    >What do you mean by the side that you dress on?

    I appear to be the only person capable of explaining this without a mass of euphemisms. The side
    that you "dress" on is the side of the crotch of your trousers that you ordinarily keep your
    penis next to.

  13. Jay Hill

    Jay Hill Guest

    David Damerell wrote:
    > David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Dave Thompson wrote:
    >>
    >>>Turn the nose of the saddle to the opposite of the side you 'dress' on. You will have more room
    >>>and be more comfortable, longer. It doesn't take much. It is worth the try.
    >>
    >>What do you mean by the side that you dress on?
    >
    > I appear to be the only person capable of explaining this without a mass of euphemisms.

    What a brave iconoclast! Actually, you're just the first person that's not capable of explaining it
    with a mass of euphemisms.

  14. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    David Damerell wrote:

    > I appear to be the only person capable of explaining this without a mass of euphemisms. The side
    > that you "dress" on is the side of the crotch of your trousers that you ordinarily keep your penis
    > next to.

    I could, but I couldn't be arsed.

    Is it a Yank thing?

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

  15. Roofi

    Roofi Guest

    hee hee hee - you said penis - hee hee hee