Rotating tires

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Joel Rose, May 2, 2003.

  1. Joel Rose

    Joel Rose Guest

    Hi all,

    This winter I put a flat spot on my rear tire on the trainer. My front tire is in much better shape
    and my question is should I rotate the tires so that the better tire is in the rear?? Thanks in
    advance for any advice.

    Joel

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Joel Rose <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hi all,
    >
    >This winter I put a flat spot on my rear tire on the trainer. My front tire is in much better shape
    >and my question is should I rotate the tires so that the better tire is in the rear?? Thanks in
    >advance for any advice.

    Go search rec.bicycles.tech for "tire rotation" on groups.google.com This is a regular topic.

    --Paul

  3. "Joel Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > This winter I put a flat spot on my rear tire on the trainer. My front
    tire
    > is in much better shape and my question is should I rotate the tires so
    that
    > the better tire is in the rear?? Thanks in advance for any advice.

    NOPE.. The best tire goes on the front. Read all about it on Sheldon's site:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-rotation.html

    Regards, Larry

  4. Michael Fuhr

    Michael Fuhr Guest

  5. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Michael Fuhr writes:

    >> This winter I put a flat spot on my rear tire on the trainer. My front tire is in much better
    >> shape and my question is should I rotate the tires so that the better tire is in the rear?

    I would ride it until it shows cords. Then move the front tire to the rear and put a new one on
    the front.

    > For one opinion on tire rotation, see the following article:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-rotation.html

    There are exceptions to that advice and I experienced that often in earlier times. If you are on a
    tour, putting much daily distance, tires can wear out rapidly, so the relatively new but more worn
    rear tire is not a dangerous old tire, as is implied in Sheldon's advice. In contrast, if tires are
    not rotated (between front and rear) the front tire will eventually become an unsafe old weather
    worn tire... the more dangerous one.

    Before Avocet (and IRC) introduced the carbon black tread compound with Avocet slicks, we rode
    primarily on Specialized Touring II tires that wore out in the Alps in about 1500 miles. I regularly
    rotated tires on these tours just to make it back to the start without going through the cords.

    Today, I routinely put the new tire on the front when the rear tire begins to show cords and move
    the old front tire to the rear so that it doesn't die of old age on the front wheel. I don't need to
    rotate tires anymore because the ones I use last a whole tour of the Alps without changing.

  6. On Fri, 02 May 2003 20:38:48 +0000, Joel Rose wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > This winter I put a flat spot on my rear tire on the trainer. My front tire is in much better
    > shape and my question is should I rotate the tires so that the better tire is in the rear?? Thanks
    > in advance for any advice.

    Think of this. On a long downhill, would you prefer the front, or the rear, to go flat? Never rotate
    a better tire to the rear. Put the best tire on the front.  When the rear wears out, take the
    current front and put it on the rear, and buy a new tire for the front.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I can _`\(,_ | assure you that mine
    are all greater. -- A. Einstein (_)/ (_) |

  7. >From: "Joel Rose" [email protected]

    >This winter I put a flat spot on my rear tire on the trainer. My front tire is in much better shape
    >and my question is should I rotate the tires so that the better tire is in the rear?? Thanks in
    >advance for any advice.

    I routinely rotate tires to equalize wear. But, if a tire is worn enough to be unsafe, replace it,
    don't rotate. I know the experts say not to rotate but I've been doing it for a few years now and I
    ain't likely to reform.

    George F. Johnson A veteran for peace

  8. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    George F. Johnson writes:

    >> This winter I put a flat spot on my rear tire on the trainer. My front tire is in much better
    >> shape and my question is should I rotate the tires so that the better tire is in the rear??
    >> Thanks in advance for any advice.

    > I routinely rotate tires to equalize wear. But, if a tire is worn enough to be unsafe, replace it,
    > don't rotate. I know the experts say not to rotate but I've been doing it for a few years now and
    > I ain't likely to reform.

    Maybe I read this differently than others, but I see no reasons given for these beliefs, whereas
    others have explained why one method is preferable to another. Since this is the "tech" forum, I
    think readers should get more than beliefs aka lore.

  9. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > >This winter I put a flat spot on my rear tire on the trainer. My front
    tire
    > >is in much better shape and my question is should I rotate the tires so
    that
    > >the better tire is in the rear?? Thanks in advance for any advice.
    >
    > I routinely rotate tires to equalize wear. But, if a tire is worn enough
    to be
    > unsafe, replace it, don't rotate. I know the experts say not to rotate but
    I've
    > been doing it for a few years now and I ain't likely to reform.
    >
    > George F. Johnson A veteran for peace

    I'm with you on this one. If the rear tire's not too worn, it goes on the front. Since 70% of my
    weight is on the rear, I'd much prefer to have more tread there than in the front. Since most flats
    I've ever had have been on the rear tire, I don't feel too bad.

    Yes, I know that if the front flats at the wrong time, bad things happen, but I'm willing to take
    that (very slim) chance.

    Mike

  10. jro-<< This winter I put a flat spot on my rear tire on the trainer. My front tire is in much better
    shape and my question is should I rotate the tires so that the better tire is in the rear?? Thanks
    in advance for any advice.

    Put the best tire on the front, where it is most needed, for sterering and the like, not
    on the rear.

  11. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Two 12 year olds, me and a friend, were riding a tandem, as fast as we could pedal. Some guy pointed
    at our front tire and yelled, ,"Hey! Your tires are rotating! Careful!" We hit the brakes, got off,
    looked for the problem. Guy said, "Rotating round and round and round. Ha, ha, ha!"

  12. Yes. Put the good, but older front tire on the rear, and buy a new tire for the front.

    This puts the softest rubber with the best traction on the wheel that controls the bike, but gets
    less wear, and the older, weather hardend rubber (less traction, but more resistance to wear) on the
    rear, which is subject to greater wear.