Rotating tires

Joel Rose

Guest
Hi all,

This winter I put a flat spot on my rear tire on the trainer. My front tire is in much better shape
and my question is should I rotate the tires so that the better tire is in the rear?? Thanks in
advance for any advice.

Joel

In article <[email protected]>, Joel Rose <[email protected]> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>This winter I put a flat spot on my rear tire on the trainer. My front tire is in much better shape
>and my question is should I rotate the tires so that the better tire is in the rear?? Thanks in
>advance for any advice.

Go search rec.bicycles.tech for "tire rotation" on groups.google.com This is a regular topic.

--Paul

Michael Fuhr writes:

>> This winter I put a flat spot on my rear tire on the trainer. My front tire is in much better
>> shape and my question is should I rotate the tires so that the better tire is in the rear?

I would ride it until it shows cords. Then move the front tire to the rear and put a new one on
the front.

> For one opinion on tire rotation, see the following article:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-rotation.html

There are exceptions to that advice and I experienced that often in earlier times. If you are on a
tour, putting much daily distance, tires can wear out rapidly, so the relatively new but more worn
rear tire is not a dangerous old tire, as is implied in Sheldon's advice. In contrast, if tires are
not rotated (between front and rear) the front tire will eventually become an unsafe old weather
worn tire... the more dangerous one.

Before Avocet (and IRC) introduced the carbon black tread compound with Avocet slicks, we rode
primarily on Specialized Touring II tires that wore out in the Alps in about 1500 miles. I regularly
rotated tires on these tours just to make it back to the start without going through the cords.

Today, I routinely put the new tire on the front when the rear tire begins to show cords and move
the old front tire to the rear so that it doesn't die of old age on the front wheel. I don't need to
rotate tires anymore because the ones I use last a whole tour of the Alps without changing.

On Fri, 02 May 2003 20:38:48 +0000, Joel Rose wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This winter I put a flat spot on my rear tire on the trainer. My front tire is in much better
> shape and my question is should I rotate the tires so that the better tire is in the rear?? Thanks
> in advance for any advice.

Think of this. On a long downhill, would you prefer the front, or the rear, to go flat? Never rotate
a better tire to the rear. Put the best tire on the front.  When the rear wears out, take the
current front and put it on the rear, and buy a new tire for the front.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I can _`\(,_ | assure you that mine
are all greater. -- A. Einstein (_)/ (_) |

>From: "Joel Rose" [email protected]

>This winter I put a flat spot on my rear tire on the trainer. My front tire is in much better shape
>and my question is should I rotate the tires so that the better tire is in the rear?? Thanks in
>advance for any advice.

I routinely rotate tires to equalize wear. But, if a tire is worn enough to be unsafe, replace it,
don't rotate. I know the experts say not to rotate but I've been doing it for a few years now and I
ain't likely to reform.

George F. Johnson A veteran for peace

George F. Johnson writes:

>> This winter I put a flat spot on my rear tire on the trainer. My front tire is in much better
>> shape and my question is should I rotate the tires so that the better tire is in the rear??
>> Thanks in advance for any advice.

> I routinely rotate tires to equalize wear. But, if a tire is worn enough to be unsafe, replace it,
> don't rotate. I know the experts say not to rotate but I've been doing it for a few years now and
> I ain't likely to reform.

Maybe I read this differently than others, but I see no reasons given for these beliefs, whereas
others have explained why one method is preferable to another. Since this is the "tech" forum, I
think readers should get more than beliefs aka lore.

> >This winter I put a flat spot on my rear tire on the trainer. My front
tire
> >is in much better shape and my question is should I rotate the tires so
that
> >the better tire is in the rear?? Thanks in advance for any advice.
>
> I routinely rotate tires to equalize wear. But, if a tire is worn enough
to be
> unsafe, replace it, don't rotate. I know the experts say not to rotate but
I've
> been doing it for a few years now and I ain't likely to reform.
>
> George F. Johnson A veteran for peace

I'm with you on this one. If the rear tire's not too worn, it goes on the front. Since 70% of my
weight is on the rear, I'd much prefer to have more tread there than in the front. Since most flats
I've ever had have been on the rear tire, I don't feel too bad.

Yes, I know that if the front flats at the wrong time, bad things happen, but I'm willing to take
that (very slim) chance.

Mike

jro-<< This winter I put a flat spot on my rear tire on the trainer. My front tire is in much better
shape and my question is should I rotate the tires so that the better tire is in the rear?? Thanks
in advance for any advice.

Put the best tire on the front, where it is most needed, for sterering and the like, not
on the rear.

Two 12 year olds, me and a friend, were riding a tandem, as fast as we could pedal. Some guy pointed
at our front tire and yelled, ,"Hey! Your tires are rotating! Careful!" We hit the brakes, got off,
looked for the problem. Guy said, "Rotating round and round and round. Ha, ha, ha!"

Yes. Put the good, but older front tire on the rear, and buy a new tire for the front.

This puts the softest rubber with the best traction on the wheel that controls the bike, but gets
less wear, and the older, weather hardend rubber (less traction, but more resistance to wear) on the
rear, which is subject to greater wear.