Rotating tires

yeroc602 said:
How often should you rotate your tires. I ride between 40-50mi a day??
And you manage that without your tyres rotating...No, seriously, there is no hard and fast rule. Just look for rear wear and swap round before all the tread goes.

er i ride about 80k a day..

im to be rotating my tires am i?!? :confused:

whatchoo talking about willis? they rotate all the time while im pedaling.

could this have somthing to do with me having to recenty replace my front tire because it had worn through in patches. I had done 5000+kilometers on it. how long should a tire last?

Ironfist said:
Never, just replace them when they are worn out.
Agreed. If you change your worn back tyre for your not so worn front tyre, you might have more rear grip, but less front grip. That means no grip for cornering or main braking. Stupid idea if ever there was one.:rolleyes:

Ironfist said:
Never, just replace them when they are worn out.

I'm cheap and so I rotate the rear to the front after it starts to wear significantly. In all the years and miles that I've done, I've never had a front slide out on me. I did have a rear that became completely unsuitable for continuing on a long ride last year. I had to be hauled the last few miles because it kept flatting on me. And it was the tire, not the fact that I was completely bonked after the 150 miles that made me call for help... don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I usually ride the back tyre until it needs replacing, then move the front tyre to the back and buy a new front tyre (I don't bother with the front/rear specific tyres). I've never lost the front end on a pedal bike but have on a motorbike -which makes me quite wary of not having decent rubber up front.

Srodders is right. Don't rotate tyres at all. Front grip/reliability is paramount and putting a half worn rear tyre on your front wheel is a bad move. It's nothing to do with tread wear because tread does nothing on bicycle tyres anyway unless you are on an MTB riding in mud or on wet grass.

You'll notice that the rear tyre will wear flat. If you put this to the front it will adversely effect the handling of the bike particularly in corners. Rear tyres are worn and weakened far more than front tyres for a given distance travelled and so are more susceptible to punctures.

Ride your rear tyre until it wears out or becomes unreliable and throw it away. Put your old front tyre on the back and buy a new one for the front. This keeps your front tyre fresh. You always want your best tyre on the front.. Always.

Good Luck Jay.

Another vote for not rotating tyres.

Replace when worn

I replace them in pairs (its often cheaper if you buy in pairs too - example) and save the front - if its in decent condition - for use on the turbo trainer.

Cheers