Rotisserie Chicken Skin

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by The Heap, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. The Heap

    The Heap Guest

    I got a Showtime Rotisserie and I love it. My favorite thing to cook on it is chicken. My favorite
    part of that is the skin.......YUM!!!! Since so many people are now on the low carb diet I wonder if
    there would be a way to market "chicken skin"....No joke. It seems that fried pork rinds are flying
    off the shelves because it is a crispy snack that is allowed on this diet. The catch to the chicken
    skin is that it needs to be consumed while it is hot. It can be flavored in many ways (pork rinds
    are only in plain or hot and spicy. Surely with all of the skinless chicken that is sold there must
    be an abundance of chicken skin with no place to go. I know that I am not the only one who enjoys
    crispy, deep golden brown, hot off the rotisserie, chicken skin but I wonder how many others will
    admit it OR buy it if it was sold by itself. Most people on the low carb (or otherwise) like
    instant, open the bag and there you have it snacks. You couldn't microwave it. I wonder if the
    public would like it enough to wait while it was heated up in the oven.

    The Heap

    Tags:

  2. The Heap wrote:
    > My favorite part of that is the skin.......YUM!!!! Since so many people are now on the low carb
    > diet I wonder if there would be a way to market "chicken skin"....No joke. It seems that fried
    > pork rinds are flying off the shelves because it is a crispy snack that is allowed on this diet.

    > You couldn't microwave it. I wonder if the public would like it enough to wait while it was heated
    > up in the oven.

    My favorite part also. If you were to play around with the process, I bet you could come up with a
    way of making it to stay crisp. You'd have to dry it out a bit at the very least. -- Ed [email protected]
    http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

  3. "The Heap" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip>

    > My favorite part of that is the skin.......YUM!!!! Since so many people are now on the low carb
    > diet I wonder if there would be a way to market "chicken skin"....No joke. It seems that fried
    > pork rinds are flying off the shelves because it is a crispy snack that is allowed on this diet.
    > The catch to the chicken skin is that it needs to be consumed while it is hot. It can be flavored
    > in many ways (pork rinds are only in plain or hot and spicy. Surely with all of the skinless
    > chicken that is sold there must be an abundance of chicken skin with no place to go.

    <snip>

    Filipinos and Thais eat fried chicken skin as a snack. We sometimes buy chicken skin from a Filipino
    grocery store and fry it. I like mine with a bit of salt and some ketchup. Yum!

    My mother used to have clients who worked at a chicken processing plant. They would give her bagfuls
    of chicken skin. Too bad she lost touch with them!

    rona

  4. "Richard Kaszeta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Or, from the vending machine at work:
    >
    > http://www.taquitos.net/snacks.php?snack_code=542

    Eek! I love fried chicken skins but bagged from a vending machine? That just seems wrong. Almost as
    wrong as the microwave pork rinds I bought from Wal-Mart in VT.

    A co-incidence--I first visited www.taquitos.net earlier this week when searching for a particular
    brand of potato chips. I don't like chocolate, but I *love* potato chips!

    rona

  5. Mr. Wizard

    Mr. Wizard Guest

    "The Heap" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I got a Showtime Rotisserie and I love it. My favorite thing to cook on it is chicken. My favorite
    > part of that is the skin.......YUM!!!! Since so many people are now on the low carb diet I wonder
    > if there would be a way to market "chicken skin"....No joke.

    I remember an episode of the Simpsons where Marge orders "One large bucket of chicken, extra
    skin please!"

  6. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

  7. Doug Weller

    Doug Weller Guest

    On 24 Jan 2004 15:23:28 -0800, The Heap wrote:

    > I got a Showtime Rotisserie and I love it. My favorite thing to cook on it is chicken. My favorite
    > part of that is the skin.......YUM!!!! Since so many people are now on the low carb diet I wonder
    > if there would be a way to market "chicken skin"....No joke. It seems that fried pork rinds are
    > flying off the shelves because it is a crispy snack that is allowed on this diet.

    Doesn't the new statement about fat affect this sort of thing?

    Doug

  8. Aria

    Aria Guest

    I'm having trouble cooking chicken on our Showtime. In order for the skin to crisp we have to cook
    it so long that the chicken is dry inside. Any suggestions?

    "Doug Weller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On 24 Jan 2004 15:23:28 -0800, The Heap wrote:
    >
    > > I got a Showtime Rotisserie and I love it. My favorite thing to cook on it is chicken. My
    > > favorite part of that is the skin.......YUM!!!! Since so many people are now on the low carb
    > > diet I wonder if there would be a way to market "chicken skin"....No joke. It seems that fried
    > > pork rinds are flying off the shelves because it is a crispy snack that is allowed on this diet.
    >
    > Doesn't the new statement about fat affect this sort of thing?
    >
    > Doug

  9. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    I saute chicken skins until rendered of all fat and they stop sizzling (meaning all the water has
    been driven out). Dprinkle on some Old Bay eat. They stay crisp indefinately as long as it's not
    humid. The rendered chicken fat can then be used for other things - like frying potatoes.

    Just like pork rinds - they're really not fatty at all - less fat than potato chips.

    -sw

    On 24 Jan 2004 15:23:28 -0800, [email protected] (The Heap) wrote:

    >I got a Showtime Rotisserie and I love it. My favorite thing to cook on it is chicken. My favorite
    >part of that is the skin.......YUM!!!! Since so many people are now on the low carb diet I wonder
    >if there would be a way to market "chicken skin"....No joke. It seems that fried pork rinds are
    >flying off the shelves because it is a crispy snack that is allowed on this diet. The catch to the
    >chicken skin is that it needs to be consumed while it is hot. It can be flavored in many ways (pork
    >rinds are only in plain or hot and spicy. Surely with all of the skinless chicken that is sold
    >there must be an abundance of chicken skin with no place to go. I know that I am not the only one
    >who enjoys crispy, deep golden brown, hot off the rotisserie, chicken skin but I wonder how many
    >others will admit it OR buy it if it was sold by itself. Most people on the low carb (or otherwise)
    >like instant, open the bag and there you have it snacks. You couldn't microwave it. I wonder if the
    >public would like it enough to wait while it was heated up in the oven.
    >
    >The Heap

  10. The Heap

    The Heap Guest

    "Aria" <Tucson[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm having trouble cooking chicken on our Showtime. In order for the skin to crisp we have to cook
    > it so long that the chicken is dry inside. Any suggestions?
    >
    > "Doug Weller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On 24 Jan 2004 15:23:28 -0800, The Heap wrote:
    > >
    > > > I got a Showtime Rotisserie and I love it. My favorite thing to cook on it is chicken. My
    > > > favorite part of that is the skin.......YUM!!!! Since so many people are now on the low carb
    > > > diet I wonder if there would be a way to market "chicken skin"....No joke. It seems that fried
    > > > pork rinds are flying off the shelves because it is a crispy snack that is allowed on this
    > > > diet.
    > >
    > > Doesn't the new statement about fat affect this sort of thing?
    > >
    > > Doug

    I have had excellent luck cooking chicken on mine. I use a 4 1/4 pound chicken (give or take an
    ounce) and cook it for 1 hour and 20 minutes. This is longer than the machine calls for but I use a
    meat thermometer and it takes that long. I tie it up very tight using cotton twine. I also let it
    rotate without heat for about 20 minutes after it is done. That lets the juices keep rolling
    without any heat. I season the outside and inside with garlic powder and poultry seasoning. I can't
    get enough...I now scout all of the grocery ads when they have whole chickens real cheap (usually a
    limit of 3 with additional $10 purchase) I go back a number of times during the week and stock up.
    I am guessing that the secret to the moist breast meat is the additional rotation without heat once
    it is done.

    The Heap