Rotisserie Chicken Skin

The Heap

Guest
I got a Showtime Rotisserie and I love it. My favorite thing to cook on it is chicken. My favorite
part of that is the skin.......YUM!!!! Since so many people are now on the low carb diet I wonder if
there would be a way to market "chicken skin"....No joke. It seems that fried pork rinds are flying
off the shelves because it is a crispy snack that is allowed on this diet. The catch to the chicken
skin is that it needs to be consumed while it is hot. It can be flavored in many ways (pork rinds
are only in plain or hot and spicy. Surely with all of the skinless chicken that is sold there must
be an abundance of chicken skin with no place to go. I know that I am not the only one who enjoys
crispy, deep golden brown, hot off the rotisserie, chicken skin but I wonder how many others will
admit it OR buy it if it was sold by itself. Most people on the low carb (or otherwise) like
instant, open the bag and there you have it snacks. You couldn't microwave it. I wonder if the
public would like it enough to wait while it was heated up in the oven.

The Heap

The Heap wrote:
> My favorite part of that is the skin.......YUM!!!! Since so many people are now on the low carb
> diet I wonder if there would be a way to market "chicken skin"....No joke. It seems that fried
> pork rinds are flying off the shelves because it is a crispy snack that is allowed on this diet.

> You couldn't microwave it. I wonder if the public would like it enough to wait while it was heated
> up in the oven.

My favorite part also. If you were to play around with the process, I bet you could come up with a
way of making it to stay crisp. You'd have to dry it out a bit at the very least. -- Ed [email protected]
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

"The Heap" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>

> My favorite part of that is the skin.......YUM!!!! Since so many people are now on the low carb
> diet I wonder if there would be a way to market "chicken skin"....No joke. It seems that fried
> pork rinds are flying off the shelves because it is a crispy snack that is allowed on this diet.
> The catch to the chicken skin is that it needs to be consumed while it is hot. It can be flavored
> in many ways (pork rinds are only in plain or hot and spicy. Surely with all of the skinless
> chicken that is sold there must be an abundance of chicken skin with no place to go.

<snip>

Filipinos and Thais eat fried chicken skin as a snack. We sometimes buy chicken skin from a Filipino
grocery store and fry it. I like mine with a bit of salt and some ketchup. Yum!

My mother used to have clients who worked at a chicken processing plant. They would give her bagfuls
of chicken skin. Too bad she lost touch with them!

rona

"Richard Kaszeta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Or, from the vending machine at work:
>
> http://www.taquitos.net/snacks.php?snack_code=542

Eek! I love fried chicken skins but bagged from a vending machine? That just seems wrong. Almost as
wrong as the microwave pork rinds I bought from Wal-Mart in VT.

A co-incidence--I first visited www.taquitos.net earlier this week when searching for a particular
brand of potato chips. I don't like chocolate, but I *love* potato chips!

rona

"The Heap" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I got a Showtime Rotisserie and I love it. My favorite thing to cook on it is chicken. My favorite
> part of that is the skin.......YUM!!!! Since so many people are now on the low carb diet I wonder
> if there would be a way to market "chicken skin"....No joke.

I remember an episode of the Simpsons where Marge orders "One large bucket of chicken, extra
skin please!"

On 24 Jan 2004 15:23:28 -0800, The Heap wrote:

> I got a Showtime Rotisserie and I love it. My favorite thing to cook on it is chicken. My favorite
> part of that is the skin.......YUM!!!! Since so many people are now on the low carb diet I wonder
> if there would be a way to market "chicken skin"....No joke. It seems that fried pork rinds are
> flying off the shelves because it is a crispy snack that is allowed on this diet.

Doesn't the new statement about fat affect this sort of thing?

Doug

I'm having trouble cooking chicken on our Showtime. In order for the skin to crisp we have to cook
it so long that the chicken is dry inside. Any suggestions?

"Doug Weller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 24 Jan 2004 15:23:28 -0800, The Heap wrote:
>
> > I got a Showtime Rotisserie and I love it. My favorite thing to cook on it is chicken. My
> > favorite part of that is the skin.......YUM!!!! Since so many people are now on the low carb
> > diet I wonder if there would be a way to market "chicken skin"....No joke. It seems that fried
> > pork rinds are flying off the shelves because it is a crispy snack that is allowed on this diet.
>
> Doesn't the new statement about fat affect this sort of thing?
>
> Doug

I saute chicken skins until rendered of all fat and they stop sizzling (meaning all the water has
been driven out). Dprinkle on some Old Bay eat. They stay crisp indefinately as long as it's not
humid. The rendered chicken fat can then be used for other things - like frying potatoes.

Just like pork rinds - they're really not fatty at all - less fat than potato chips.

-sw

"Aria" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<vPYQb.74623$XD5.4801@fed1read06>...
> I'm having trouble cooking chicken on our Showtime. In order for the skin to crisp we have to cook
> it so long that the chicken is dry inside. Any suggestions?
>
> "Doug Weller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On 24 Jan 2004 15:23:28 -0800, The Heap wrote:
> >
> > > I got a Showtime Rotisserie and I love it. My favorite thing to cook on it is chicken. My
> > > favorite part of that is the skin.......YUM!!!! Since so many people are now on the low carb
> > > diet I wonder if there would be a way to market "chicken skin"....No joke. It seems that fried
> > > pork rinds are flying off the shelves because it is a crispy snack that is allowed on this
> > > diet.
> >
> > Doesn't the new statement about fat affect this sort of thing?
> >
> > Doug

I have had excellent luck cooking chicken on mine. I use a 4 1/4 pound chicken (give or take an
ounce) and cook it for 1 hour and 20 minutes. This is longer than the machine calls for but I use a
meat thermometer and it takes that long. I tie it up very tight using cotton twine. I also let it
rotate without heat for about 20 minutes after it is done. That lets the juices keep rolling
without any heat. I season the outside and inside with garlic powder and poultry seasoning. I can't
get enough...I now scout all of the grocery ads when they have whole chickens real cheap (usually a
limit of 3 with additional $10 purchase) I go back a number of times during the week and stock up.
I am guessing that the secret to the moist breast meat is the additional rotation without heat once
it is done.

The Heap