rotor warped within 2weeks of having them.

Combfilter

Guest
I am new to disc brakes, so thought I would throw my question towards you guys.

I have a set shimano m475 disc brakes.. I have had them for about 3 weeks. Everything was going
fine till last week I was riding some trails and noticed a lot of resistance from the rear wheel.
So, I got off to check it and what had happend is that the rear rotor was warped real sharp like
in one area. I played back my day of riding and am 99% confident that I didn't hit the rotor on
anything. The only weird thing I recall happening is was hitting a small puddle and then doing
some heavy braking after that puddle. I would certainly hope that those rotors wouldn't warp from
the cold water to the heat of heavy braking would they?? After hitting that puddle and braking I
noticed while I was in the act of braking that there was heavy vibration from the rotor. Like the
act of braking was making a loud noise of friction... but like rubber on metal friction, not
metal on metal.

When I got home I tried to straighten out a wrench and some muscle.. I got it good enough to ride,
around, but it's still nicking on my pads on that one bent part. So, I need to order a new rotor in
which I can't really find any sites online to order just rotors.

Anywho, I guess my main question is if rotors can warp from braking after water, and if so,
that's lame.

TIA combfilter

"Combfilter" <*****@*****.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am new to disc brakes, so thought I would throw my question towards you guys.
>
> I have a set shimano m475 disc brakes.. I have had them for about 3 weeks. Everything was going
> fine till last week I was riding some trails and noticed a lot of resistance from the rear wheel.
> So, I got off to check it and what had happend is that the rear rotor was warped real sharp like
> in one area. I played back my day of riding and am 99% confident that I didn't hit the rotor on
> anything. The only weird thing I recall happening is was hitting a small puddle and then doing
> some heavy braking after that puddle. I would certainly hope that those rotors wouldn't warp from
> the cold water to the heat of heavy braking would they?? After hitting that puddle and braking I
> noticed while I was in the act of braking that there was heavy vibration from the rotor. Like the
> act of braking was making a loud noise of friction... but like rubber on metal friction, not metal
> on metal.
>
> When I got home I tried to straighten out a wrench and some muscle.. I got it good enough to ride,
> around, but it's still nicking on my pads on that one bent part. So, I need to order a new rotor
> in which I can't really find any sites online to order just rotors.
>
> Anywho, I guess my main question is if rotors can warp from braking after water, and if so,
> that's lame.
>
> TIA combfilter

I know that won't wrap my Hayes rotors, but I guess anything possible with shimano.
--
Slacker

In article <[email protected]>, Combfilter wrote:

> When I got home I tried to straighten out a wrench and some muscle.. I got it good enough to ride,
> around, but it's still nicking on my pads on that one bent part. So, I need to order a new rotor
> in which I can't really find any sites online to order just rotors.

Take it to a shop. They should be able to straighten the rotor. If they can't, they'll
send you away.

> Anywho, I guess my main question is if rotors can warp from braking after water, and if so,
> that's lame.

I've never seen that happen with any rotor before, but I know from experience that you can warp a
rotor and not even notice until later. Something warping the rotor like that was probably a rock or
a log. At the time, you were having fun and your blood was pumping, and you didn't even notice that
you had accidentally smacked up against something. Pretty common, really.

JS

--
========================= [email protected] ========================
Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

"Combfilter" <*****@*****.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am new to disc brakes, so thought I would throw my question towards you
guys.

> I have a set shimano m475 disc brakes.. I have had them for about 3 weeks.
Everything was going fine
> till last week I was riding some trails and noticed a lot of resistance
from the rear wheel. So, I got
> off to check it and what had happend is that the rear rotor was warped
real sharp like in one area. I
> played back my day of riding and am 99% confident that I didn't hit the
rotor on anything. The only
> weird thing I recall happening is was hitting a small puddle and then
doing some heavy braking after
> that puddle. I would certainly hope that those rotors wouldn't warp from
the cold water to the heat of
> heavy braking would they?? After hitting that puddle and braking I noticed
while I was in the act of
> braking that there was heavy vibration from the rotor. Like the act of
braking was making a loud noise
> of friction... but like rubber on metal friction, not metal on metal.
>
> When I got home I tried to straighten out a wrench and some muscle.. I got
it good enough to ride,
> around, but it's still nicking on my pads on that one bent part. So, I
need to order a new rotor in
> which I can't really find any sites online to order just rotors.
>
> Anywho, I guess my main question is if rotors can warp from braking after
water, and if so, that's lame.

Listen to Jan. You hit the rotor on a rock or something. It bent the rotor. Now the rotor is bent.
Rotors don't and can't just warp/bend in a small area. Heat is not your problem, and water is not
your problem.

The rock or whatever it was, was the problem. Now your rotor is the problem. Replace it or
get it fixed.

darsh

> TIA combfilter

Try Speedgoat: $29 shipped http://www.speedgoat.com/prod/store/categorie.asp?cid=3&m=Shimano
-BigfootDenny

"Combfilter" <*****@*****.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am new to disc brakes, so thought I would throw my question towards you
guys.

> I have a set shimano m475 disc brakes.. I have had them for about 3 weeks.
Everything was going fine
> till last week I was riding some trails and noticed a lot of resistance
from the rear wheel. So, I got
> off to check it and what had happend is that the rear rotor was warped
real sharp like in one area. I
> played back my day of riding and am 99% confident that I didn't hit the
rotor on anything. The only
> weird thing I recall happening is was hitting a small puddle and then
doing some heavy braking after
> that puddle. I would certainly hope that those rotors wouldn't warp from
the cold water to the heat of
> heavy braking would they?? After hitting that puddle and braking I noticed
while I was in the act of
> braking that there was heavy vibration from the rotor. Like the act of
braking was making a loud noise
> of friction... but like rubber on metal friction, not metal on metal.
>
> When I got home I tried to straighten out a wrench and some muscle.. I got
it good enough to ride,
> around, but it's still nicking on my pads on that one bent part. So, I
need to order a new rotor in
> which I can't really find any sites online to order just rotors.
>
> Anywho, I guess my main question is if rotors can warp from braking after
water, and if so, that's lame.

> TIA combfilter

Is a warped rotor as common of a result in the front, as much as it is in the rear? How many of you
have warped discs? Do you guys have spares in the house ready to be replaced, or is it rare to warp
a rotor, un-rideable?

David -thinking of going with Avid mechanicals in the front.........

"Combfilter" <*****@*****.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am new to disc brakes, so thought I would throw my question towards you
guys.

> I have a set shimano m475 disc brakes.. I have had them for about 3 weeks.
Everything was going fine
> till last week I was riding some trails and noticed a lot of resistance
from the rear wheel. So, I got
> off to check it and what had happend is that the rear rotor was warped
real sharp like in one area. I
> played back my day of riding and am 99% confident that I didn't hit the
rotor on anything. The only
> weird thing I recall happening is was hitting a small puddle and then
doing some heavy braking after
> that puddle. I would certainly hope that those rotors wouldn't warp from
the cold water to the heat of
> heavy braking would they?? After hitting that puddle and braking I noticed
while I was in the act of
> braking that there was heavy vibration from the rotor. Like the act of
braking was making a loud noise
> of friction... but like rubber on metal friction, not metal on metal.
>
> When I got home I tried to straighten out a wrench and some muscle.. I got
it good enough to ride,
> around, but it's still nicking on my pads on that one bent part. So, I
need to order a new rotor in
> which I can't really find any sites online to order just rotors.
>
> Anywho, I guess my main question is if rotors can warp from braking after
water, and if so, that's lame.

> TIA combfilter

> In article <[email protected]>, Combfilter wrote:
>
> > When I got home I tried to straighten out a wrench and some muscle.. I got it good enough to
> > ride, around, but it's still nicking on my pads on that one bent part. So, I need to order a new
> > rotor in which I can't really find any sites online to order just rotors.
>
> Take it to a shop. They should be able to straighten the rotor. If they can't, they'll send
> you away.
>
> > Anywho, I guess my main question is if rotors can warp from braking after water, and if so,
> > that's lame.
>
> I've never seen that happen with any rotor before, but I know from experience that you can warp a
> rotor and not even notice until later. Something warping the rotor like that was probably a rock
> or a log. At the time, you were having fun and your blood was pumping, and you didn't even notice
> that you had accidentally smacked up against something. Pretty common, really.
>
> JS

yea.. actually these trails have a lot of stumps on them.. I guess that was it. Do you know a place
like supergo.com where you can just order rotors?

tia, comb

> "Combfilter" <*****@*****.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I am new to disc brakes, so thought I would throw my question towards you
> guys.
> >
> > I have a set shimano m475 disc brakes.. I have had them for about 3 weeks.
> Everything was going fine
> > till last week I was riding some trails and noticed a lot of resistance
> from the rear wheel. So, I got
> > off to check it and what had happend is that the rear rotor was warped
> real sharp like in one area. I
> > played back my day of riding and am 99% confident that I didn't hit the
> rotor on anything. The only
> > weird thing I recall happening is was hitting a small puddle and then
> doing some heavy braking after
> > that puddle. I would certainly hope that those rotors wouldn't warp from
> the cold water to the heat of
> > heavy braking would they?? After hitting that puddle and braking I noticed
> while I was in the act of
> > braking that there was heavy vibration from the rotor. Like the act of
> braking was making a loud noise
> > of friction... but like rubber on metal friction, not metal on metal.
> >
> > When I got home I tried to straighten out a wrench and some muscle.. I got
> it good enough to ride,
> > around, but it's still nicking on my pads on that one bent part. So, I
> need to order a new rotor in
> > which I can't really find any sites online to order just rotors.
> >
> > Anywho, I guess my main question is if rotors can warp from braking after
> water, and if so, that's lame.
>
> Listen to Jan. You hit the rotor on a rock or something. It bent the rotor. Now the rotor is bent.
> Rotors don't and can't just warp/bend in a small area. Heat is not your problem, and water is not
> your problem.
>
> The rock or whatever it was, was the problem. Now your rotor is the problem. Replace it or get
> it fixed.
>
> darsh

when you say get it fixed.. do LBS do like a "turning of rotors" like on cars? from what i gather it
would be only about 20 to 30 bucks to replace, so now the question is .. where online to do that.
Not man LBS where I live..

tia -comb

> > TIA combfilter

> I know that won't wrap my Hayes rotors, but I guess anything possible with
shimano.

Jim and I have both been using Shimano's, never had any problems. I managed to warp an Avid rotor.

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

In article <[email protected]>, denhall*NOSPAM*@ismi.net says...
> Try Speedgoat: $29 shipped http://www.speedgoat.com/prod/store/categorie.asp?cid=3&m=Shimano
> -BigfootDenny

> "Combfilter" <*****@*****.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I am new to disc brakes, so thought I would throw my question towards you
> guys.
> >
> > I have a set shimano m475 disc brakes.. I have had them for about 3 weeks.
> Everything was going fine
> > till last week I was riding some trails and noticed a lot of resistance
> from the rear wheel. So, I got
> > off to check it and what had happend is that the rear rotor was warped
> real sharp like in one area. I
> > played back my day of riding and am 99% confident that I didn't hit the
> rotor on anything. The only
> > weird thing I recall happening is was hitting a small puddle and then
> doing some heavy braking after
> > that puddle. I would certainly hope that those rotors wouldn't warp from
> the cold water to the heat of
> > heavy braking would they?? After hitting that puddle and braking I noticed
> while I was in the act of
> > braking that there was heavy vibration from the rotor. Like the act of
> braking was making a loud noise
> > of friction... but like rubber on metal friction, not metal on metal.
> >
> > When I got home I tried to straighten out a wrench and some muscle.. I got
> it good enough to ride,
> > around, but it's still nicking on my pads on that one bent part. So, I
> need to order a new rotor in
> > which I canpuG+eally find any sites online to order just rotors.
> >
> > Anywho, I guess my main question is if rotors can warp from braking after
> water, and if so, that's lame.
> >
> > TIA combfilter

thanks bigfoot, I think I will place an order right now. -comb

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 11:49:57 -0800, "David" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Is a warped rotor as common of a result in the front, as much as it is in the rear? How many of you
>have warped discs? Do you guys have spares in the house ready to be replaced, or is it rare to warp
>a rotor, un-rideable?
>
>David -thinking of going with Avid mechanicals in the front.........
Good thought....so damn simple, even I was shocked. Bill

:-]

In article <[email protected]>, David wrote:
> Is a warped rotor as common of a result in the front, as much as it is in the rear?

Not really. You can smack the back end of your bike into a lot of things, and still keep it steady.
Plus, most of your weight is usually shifted back or is more over the back wheel when you hit
things. If you had that much weight on your front wheel and smacked something that hard, you'd
probably notice that you bent the rotor after you went flying past it.

JS

--
========================= [email protected] ========================
Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code
header to see my Geek Code
"Up yours, Zoidberg! Up wherever your species traditionally crams t'ings!"

- Hermes, Futurama

> Is a warped rotor as common of a result in the front, as much as it is in the rear? How many of
> you have warped discs? Do you guys have spares in the house ready to be replaced, or is it rare to
> warp a rotor, un-rideable?
>
> David -thinking of going with Avid mechanicals in the front.........

It's rare and aftermarket 160mm rotors costonly slightly more than a pair of brake pads.
--
_________________________

"Combfilter" <*****@*****.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> yea.. actually these trails have a lot of stumps on them.. I guess that
was it. Do you know a
> place like supergo.com where you can just order rotors?

Pricepoint sells rotors.

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

Combfilter <*****@*****.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> when you say get it fixed.. do LBS do like a "turning of rotors" like on cars? from what i gather
> it would be only about 20 to 30 bucks to replace, so now the question is .. where online to do
> that. Not man LBS where I live..

Yeah, I'm sure any auto brake shop would turn your rotors for you.

You dorked it good on a rock/stump/FOD/etc. Just replace it already.

JD

How many of you have actually hit there rotors on stuff? Out of that how many of you have had rotors
damaged? Is it a big problem?

Tim

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 08:48:31 -0500, "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I know that won't wrap my Hayes rotors, but I guess anything possible with
>shimano.
>
>Jim and I have both been using Shimano's, never had any problems. I managed to warp an Avid rotor.
Say it ain't so... Bill

>- CA-G
>
>Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

:-]

In article <[email protected]>, Combfilter wrote:

> yea.. actually these trails have a lot of stumps on them.. I guess that was it. Do you know a
> place like supergo.com where you can just order rotors?

I forgot. You can order some rotors from that Stan Notubes guy. He's made some Alu rotors that
supposedly work really well, but I think you have to buy new pads from him, too. I've never used any
of his stuff, but supposedly, pros are using his notubes formula to make their clincher tyres into
tubeless tyres.

Search for 'stan notubes' or 'stan no tubes' on google, and you'll probably find him. In fact, I
just did it. It's notubes.com.

JS

--
========================= [email protected] ========================
Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code
header to see my Geek Code
"Up yours, Zoidberg! Up wherever your species traditionally crams t'ings!"

- Hermes, Futurama

"Jan Sacharuk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, David wrote:
> > Is a warped rotor as common of a result in the front, as much as it is in the rear?
>
> Not really. You can smack the back end of your bike into a lot of things, and still keep it
> steady. Plus, most of your weight is usually shifted back or is more over the back wheel when you
> hit things. If you had that much weight on your front wheel and smacked something that hard, you'd
> probably notice that you bent the rotor after you went flying past it.
>
> JS

I agree with you there Jan. Although the front might seem more exposed, the rear rotor is attached
to a fixed wheel and is much less forgiving when it's hit.
--
Slacker