Roubaix Pro

tmctguer

Sep 9, 2003
i just purchased an '05 Specialized Roubaix Pro (carbon fiber) and really am impressed with the ride quality. i also own a '03 Cannondale Team Saeco (aluminum) and the difference in ride comfort is incredible.

the Cannondale is a great bike -- very quick and responsive, but you feel every bump in the road. the Roubaix does not feel as quick, but rides like a dream. it has a little less extreme frame geometry than the Cannondale.

i thought about buying the Cannondale 613 because of the carbon fiber/aluminum frame. but i thought that even though it would ride smoother than my Cannondale, it would probably be similar in handling. so i opted for the Roubaix. now i can ride the Cannondale when i want to feel the road (perhaps shorter training rides), and the Roubaix when i want to have a smooth ride (perhaps longer rides).

if anyone is thinking about a new bike, definitely check out the new Roubaix.

I had exactly the same reaction the first time that I rode my '04 RPro. Enjoy it! :)

tmctguer said:
i just purchased an '05 Specialized Roubaix Pro (carbon fiber) and really am impressed with the ride quality. i also own a '03 Cannondale Team Saeco (aluminum) and the difference in ride comfort is incredible.

the Cannondale is a great bike -- very quick and responsive, but you feel every bump in the road. the Roubaix does not feel as quick, but rides like a dream. it has a little less extreme frame geometry than the Cannondale.

i thought about buying the Cannondale 613 because of the carbon fiber/aluminum frame. but i thought that even though it would ride smoother than my Cannondale, it would probably be similar in handling. so i opted for the Roubaix. now i can ride the Cannondale when i want to feel the road (perhaps shorter training rides), and the Roubaix when i want to have a smooth ride (perhaps longer rides).

if anyone is thinking about a new bike, definitely check out the new Roubaix.
I purchased a Roubaix Pro about three weeks ago, and I am in love with it!

skydive69 said:
I purchased a Roubaix Pro about three weeks ago, and I am in love with it!

You guys know there was a recall on those, right? Maybe not on the "Pro" model. Do a Google on it, or check with your shop to be sure. Something about the bars and stems.

I am thinking that I will be getting one these in the near future and have a couple of threads on here trying to get peoples feedback on this bike. I have been riding a 2000 Specialized M4 (aluminum w/carbon fiber fork and 9 speed Dura Ace), this bike is more of sprinters bike with the compact geometry. How does it feel going to more traditional and longer frame style? You mention it might not feel as fast, do you think that's because it's a softer ride and it just feels slower, or do think it acutually performs a little slower. What do you think of the Dura Ace wheel set? I just recently bought Kysrium SL's and love them, I don't know if I get the Ruobaix Pro, if I should keep the Dura Ace wheels or try and get the bike shop to sell to me without. Do you mind sharing what you paid for the 2005 model, most of the prices I've seen around have been for the 2004.
Thanks...

DiabloScott said:
You guys know there was a recall on those, right? Maybe not on the "Pro" model. Do a Google on it, or check with your shop to be sure. Something about the bars and stems.
Recall was for models of the Allex, the base model of the Sequoia and the base model of the Roubaix - not the pro.

to answer OCRoadie's questions.........the Roubaix is as fast when measuring with a speedometer. it just doesn't feel as quick as my Cannondale. i am sure it is the smoother ride that contributes, but also the Roubaix is a longer frame.

i also like Kysirium's and have them on my Cannondale. i almost had Supergo change them out, but thought i would just stay with the Shimano line. the sales person said that Kysiriums ride a bit rougher than the Shimano's and since i was going for a smoother ride, i thought i would keep the Shimano's. the cost difference was about $50 - $75 less for the Shimano's.

i also am adjusting from Campagnolo on the Cannondale to DuraAce on the Roubaix. so far, i have happy with the DuraAce shifting, especially on the front chain rings. but really miss the small thumb shifter on the Campy for shifting gears. the Campy thumb shifter allows you to keep both hands on top of the handlebars and still shift into higher gears.

i paid approx. $4,000 for the '05 bike less taxes. the '04's were going for about $3,400 - $3,600.

tmctguer said:
to answer OCRoadie's questions.........the Roubaix is as fast when measuring with a speedometer. it just doesn't feel as quick as my Cannondale. i am sure it is the smoother ride that contributes, but also the Roubaix is a longer frame.

i also like Kysirium's and have them on my Cannondale. i almost had Supergo change them out, but thought i would just stay with the Shimano line. the sales person said that Kysiriums ride a bit rougher than the Shimano's and since i was going for a smoother ride, i thought i would keep the Shimano's. the cost difference was about $50 - $75 less for the Shimano's.

i also am adjusting from Campagnolo on the Cannondale to DuraAce on the Roubaix. so far, i have happy with the DuraAce shifting, especially on the front chain rings. but really miss the small thumb shifter on the Campy for shifting gears. the Campy thumb shifter allows you to keep both hands on top of the handlebars and still shift into higher gears.

i paid approx. $4,000 for the '05 bike less taxes. the '04's were going for about $3,400 - $3,600.
Thanks for the feedback, I too will most likely be buying from Supergo. I had thought about building this bike with Capagnolo Record and my Ksyrium SL's. From the feedback I've been getting from all of the Roubaix Pro owners, I am leaning more towards the stock complete bike. Which Supergo do you shop? Are you in So Cal?

Hey OC roadie,

I used to live in Fountain Valley, but I now live in the Bay Area. I could never find any fountains or valleys BTW;) I feel sorry for you though. OC is not the greatest area for road biking with lots of aggressive traffic, stop lights and basically flat terrain. Supergo on Warner is a great big bike store.

Anyway, I just bought an '04 Roubaix Pro and I really like the Dura-Ace wheels. They look sweet and understated. They are not as stiff as the Ksyrium SL's, which means a more comfortable ride. The 10 speed dura-ace groupo is nice with precise shifts. I did swap the crankset for an FSA Carbon Pro Elite Compact 50/34, swap the saddle for a Fitzk Arione and swap the tires with Specialized S-Works All Condition 700 x 25c.

I wish the Roubaix Pro came with the clearcoat nude carbon finish as the Comp. Nude carbon is oh so sexy:)

OCRoadie: i live in south orange county (dana point) and shop at the Supergo at Alicia Parkway & I-5.

ender Wiggins: i enjoy cycling in south orange county. tons of bike lanes, although too many stop lights. i have found a few routes that allow for several miles between lights so i can keep my tempo up for long periods. i also like the rolling hills. i have several that i do as a workout routine (6% - 9% grade, .5 to 1.9 miles long).

ender Wiggins said:
Hey OC roadie,

I used to live in Fountain Valley, but I now live in the Bay Area. I could never find any fountains or valleys BTW;) I feel sorry for you though. OC is not the greatest area for road biking with lots of aggressive traffic, stop lights and basically flat terrain. Supergo on Warner is a great big bike store.

Anyway, I just bought an '04 Roubaix Pro and I really like the Dura-Ace wheels. They look sweet and understated. They are not as stiff as the Ksyrium SL's, which means a more comfortable ride. The 10 speed dura-ace groupo is nice with precise shifts. I did swap the crankset for an FSA Carbon Pro Elite Compact 50/34, swap the saddle for a Fitzk Arione and swap the tires with Specialized S-Works All Condition 700 x 25c.

I wish the Roubaix Pro came with the clearcoat nude carbon finish as the Comp. Nude carbon is oh so sexy:)
Ender-
I agree that the areas immediately surrounding Fountain Valley are lacking in good road riding, but it's only 45 minutes riding (just long enough to get warmed up) to get to Santiago Canyon area or Newport Coast Drive and then there's plenty of climbing. The Supergo on Warner is my LBS that I frequent the most. I appreciate your comments about the Dura Ace 10 and the wheel set. Hopefully in January the Ruobaix Pro will be my new ride! I would love to take my bike up north and ride Sausalito/ Marin County for a weekend.

Tmctguer- I would do the 70 miles round trip from Fountain Valley every weekend to Doheny if it wasn't for the endless stop lights and lack of a bike lane through downtown Laguna. I will be doing my 6 repeats up Newport Coast this Sunday to train for upcoming Palomar Mtn ride.

Laguna can be a nightmare if you ride through after 9 AM. i try to be done with laguna before 8 AM, if possible. i know Newport Coast hill very well. i have done a few climbing repeats on it, too. i am impressed with SIX !!

tmctguer said:
Laguna can be a nightmare if you ride through after 9 AM. i try to be done with laguna before 8 AM, if possible. i know Newport Coast hill very well. i have done a few climbing repeats on it, too. i am impressed with SIX !!
This will be my first try at 6, I did 4 a couple of weeks ago. I'll be happy with 5.:)

tmctguer said:
tmctguer-
Well 6 repeats was an ambitious goal, I had to head home after 5. It was still a pretty good workout.

good job on 5 repeats of newport coast ! i rode up the hill on saturday & sunday, but only once each day. i did a 45 miler on saturday (PCH, Newport Coast, Bonita Canyon, MacArthur, Alton, Muirlands, La Paz, Moulton Parkway, Camino del avion), then a 30 miler on sunday (PCH, Newport Coast, PCH).

my quads were toast today !