Rough shifting Ultegra setup...

kevinmcdade

Nov 28, 2004
I completed upgrading my bikes today...I upgraded my bike that had full Shimano 105 to full Ultegra and installed all of my 105 equipment on my bike that had full Sora. All of the Ultegra is brand new (shifters, derailleurs, cranks, BB, cassette, and chain) and the 105 equipment has about 1500 miles on it. The bike that now has the 105 shifts smooth as butter and very fast. My bike with all of the new Ultegra equipment is kind of clanky, noisy and slow. I have taken it to one LBS 2 times and another LBS once. All three of the mechanics that adjusted it for me said everything was fine and it would smooth out after the parts break in. How much truth is there to that statement? I don't remember my bike that came with all of the 105 equipment acting like this. Should I get a fourth opinion on my bike or should I just get out and ride it to see if the shifting will smooth out?

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

kevinmcdade said:
The bike that now has the 105 shifts smooth as butter and very fast. My bike with all of the new Ultegra equipment is kind of clanky, noisy and slow. I have taken it to one LBS 2 times and another LBS once. All three of the mechanics that adjusted it for me said everything was fine and it would smooth out after the parts break in. How much truth is there to that statement?
About zero . Find a wrench that is not a moron. Better yet, learn to do it yourself. www.parktool.com repair sction.

kevinmcdade said:
My bike with all of the new Ultegra equipment is kind of clanky, noisy and slow. I have taken it to one LBS 2 times and another LBS once. All three of the mechanics that adjusted it for me said everything was fine and it would smooth out after the parts break in. How much truth is there to that statement? I don't remember my bike that came with all of the 105 equipment acting like this. Should I get a fourth opinion on my bike or should I just get out and ride it to see if the shifting will smooth out?
One quick way to find out if they were feeding you a line would have been to hop on a full Ultegra bike at their shop and go out for a test ride. If the components didn't feel a little clanky, noisy and slow then you would have known right there and you would have incontrovertible proof that they lied to you and you could then confront them about it.

Kevin - "So Ultegra is supposed to feel a little clanky, noisy and slow?"
LBS - "Yes, until it gets broken in"
Kevin - "What about the Ultegra equipped bikes on your floor?"
LBS - "No they are smooth as silk."
Kevin - "So you guys sell used equipment?"
LBS - "Huh?"
Kevin - "You must ride these bikes around for a while to 'break them in' according to your previous statement."
LBS - "Uhm ... :eek: "

Why would 105 work smooth right out of the box and Ultegra not?

boudreaux said:
About zero . Find a wrench that is not a moron. Better yet, learn to do it yourself. www.parktool.com repair sction.
I'm trying to get to a point where I can do anything and everything to my own bike. It is a skill that I realize will take some time to master which is why I do what I can, then take it to the LBS to get done what I can not accomplish. I am hoping within the next year, I will be able to do all of my own work. I will take it to a bike shop tomorrow that I don't normally visit to see what they say and do after I have them take it for a spin.

Doctor Morbius said:
One quick way to find out if they were feeding you a line would have been to hop on a full Ultegra bike at their shop and go out for a test ride. If the components didn't feel a little clanky, noisy and slow then you would have known right there and you would have incontrovertible proof that they lied to you and you could then confront them about it.

Kevin - "So Ultegra is supposed to feel a little clanky, noisy and slow?"
LBS - "Yes, until it gets broken in"
Kevin - "What about the Ultegra equipped bikes on your floor?"
LBS - "No they are smooth as silk."
Kevin - "So you guys sell used equipment?"
LBS - "Huh?"
Kevin - "You must ride these bikes around for a while to 'break them in' according to your previous statement."
LBS - "Uhm ... :eek: "

Why would 105 work smooth right out of the box and Ultegra not?
Thanks for the advice. I will do this tomorrow afternoon. I am not only going to ride one of their bikes but I am going to have them ride my bike instead of just spinning the crank while it is on the workstand.

boudreaux said:

Too true , mine was smooth as silk from the getgo but with triple chain rings it does need to be set up correctly or it´s like a knife through a bag of nails ( that´s the front mech , never a problem with the rear )

My new bike only has Tiagra, but Trek set it up and it rans super smooth out of the box.

I'm still not sure what the problem was but I rode the bike Tuesday and it shifts amazingly smooth and fast. It took me a little longer to get it resolved than I wanted it to but it was well worth it!!!