Roulston

Stu Fleming

Guest
Carl Sundquist wrote:
> "Mark VandenBerghe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>>more to it
>>
>>Mark VandenBerghe
>>

>>"bernard slater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]
>>
>>>Hayden Roulston has asked to be dropped from his Discovery contract. Is
>>>this
>>>because he is injury prone or is there more to it ?
>>>

> Definitely more to it. He asked or _was asked_?

He got full support from the team after the problem last month, so yeah,
probably _was asked_.

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Or they're less motivated to spend an hour (more in
> > training) looking at a derny pilot's butt, so fewer of them
> > have seriously attempted the record.

> Gilmore did not break any hour record, just the maximum (1 lap, I guess)
> speed record for women behind the derny, now 66 km/h. From the article,
> it's not absolutely clear whether that's a track, national, or world
> record. I wouldn't know. I was highly surprised because the men's HOUR
> record behind the derny is 66.114 km/h; I'd've thought the women to be
> over that for top speed.

I understood, and agree with you that it seems slow. But on
the other hand how many people have actually taken a shot
at the absolute speed record?

I assumed either record would take at least some practice
behind the derny. You don't just hop on a bike and ride 66 km/h
behind a derny. In fact, it must take quite a few laps to accelerate
up to 66 km/h without blowing up. Maybe Sundquist has an
idea of how long.

BTW, I do recognize that I am now trying to give a serious
justification for my own facetious post. That's what rbr does to you.

Ewoud Dronkert

Guest
[email protected] wrote:
> BTW, I do recognize that I am now trying to give a serious
> justification for my own facetious post. That's what rbr does to you.

I knew you were joking, but at the same time thought you had the wrong
idea about the record. Apparently I just didn't get it. Forgive me.

--
E. Dronkert

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > BTW, I do recognize that I am now trying to give a serious
> > justification for my own facetious post. That's what rbr does to you.

> I knew you were joking, but at the same time thought you had the wrong
> idea about the record. Apparently I just didn't get it. Forgive me.

No, I wasn't clear, and my post did sound like I was
talking about the hour record.

This mutual politeness is really out of character for rbr and is
going to give Henry and Mad Dog fits, though, so I won't
forgive you.

BTW, speaking of politeness, can Curtis or anyone explain
what's going on with those weirdo rec*mb*nt highracer/lowracer
flamebait posts? I thought Jeffy Potter told us bent riders
were all nice friendly bearded teddy-bears that were oppressed
by "USCF robo-riders." Damn, that's the last time I trust
Jeffy Potter!

Carl Sundquist

Guest
<[email protected]> wrote in message

>> Gilmore did not break any hour record, just the maximum (1 lap, I guess)
>> speed record for women behind the derny, now 66 km/h. From the article,
>> it's not absolutely clear whether that's a track, national, or world
>> record. I wouldn't know. I was highly surprised because the men's HOUR
>> record behind the derny is 66.114 km/h; I'd've thought the women to be
>> over that for top speed.

> I understood, and agree with you that it seems slow. But on
> the other hand how many people have actually taken a shot
> at the absolute speed record?
>
> I assumed either record would take at least some practice
> behind the derny. You don't just hop on a bike and ride 66 km/h
> behind a derny. In fact, it must take quite a few laps to accelerate
> up to 66 km/h without blowing up. Maybe Sundquist has an
> idea of how long.

Sprinters frequently spend time behind dernies. Sometimes the dernies are
used as warmup pace vehicles, sometimes for windup (as opposed to hard jump)
sprints, and sometimes to help the rider exaggerate their top speed by just
sitting behind the derny as it goes faster then they can achieve on their
own. Also, events that include the keirin (both men and women). Making a
decision to try for a speed record, especially one as esoteric as this,
doesn't require much in the way of preparation.

I couldn't find any information regarding the distance for certification,
but am guessing it's no more than one or two laps (250 or 500 meters).
Considering the women's absolute (unaided) 200 M record is 10.831 (Olga
Slioussereva, 25 April 1993 in Moscow) at a speed of 66.6 kph, one could
expect to be disappointed that Gilmore's speed wasn't superior to the men's
hour record.

As for distance to accelerate to top speed? Three laps from a standing
start, max. More likely two with a generous push from the start line.

Ewoud Dronkert

Guest
[email protected] wrote:
> This mutual politeness is really out of character for rbr

Arschloch, I got a little mixed up between this and my heather persona.

--
E. Dronkert

h squared

Guest
gym.gravity wrote:

> H2 is going to need a cold shower.

nope, i never take cold showers, i always do worse.

heather
wishing bob would stick to googling (or worse) tangled up leggy ring girls.

h squared

Guest
Ewoud Dronkert wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>
>>This mutual politeness is really out of character for rbr

> Arschloch, I got a little mixed up between this and my heather persona.

hey! that was nice of you to say :) being nice doesn't come naturally
to me (the way, say, manipulating people does, lol) but i try..but any
way, you're always polite, which is why i could never figure out how
bruce johnson could get so upset by you.

heather persona

Howard Kveck

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
h squared <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
>
> > [email protected] wrote:
> >
> >>This mutual politeness is really out of character for rbr

> > Arschloch, I got a little mixed up between this and my heather persona.

> hey! that was nice of you to say :) being nice doesn't come naturally
> to me (the way, say, manipulating people does, lol) but i try..but any
> way, you're always polite, which is why i could never figure out how
> bruce johnson could get so upset by you.

Mmmm, 'cause he was psycho?

Just sayin'...

--
tanx,
Howard

The sheriff is near...

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Howard Kveck

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
h squared <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
>
> > [email protected] wrote:
> >
> >>This mutual politeness is really out of character for rbr

> > Arschloch, I got a little mixed up between this and my heather persona.

> hey! that was nice of you to say :) being nice doesn't come naturally
> to me (the way, say, manipulating people does, lol) but i try..but any
> way, you're always polite, which is why i could never figure out how
> bruce johnson could get so upset by you.

Mmmm, 'cause he was psycho?

Just sayin'...

--
tanx,
Howard

The sheriff is near...

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Curtis L. Russell

Guest
On 18 Nov 2005 14:46:44 -0800, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>BTW, speaking of politeness, can Curtis or anyone explain
>what's going on with those weirdo rec*mb*nt highracer/lowracer
>flamebait posts? I thought Jeffy Potter told us bent riders
>were all nice friendly bearded teddy-bears that were oppressed
>by "USCF robo-riders."

I don't think I'm allowed to post as a recumbent owner - my last
purchase was a Fuji Paris Roubaix (which is kind of a funny name, in a
way), so my recumbency has probably been impeached.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

William Asher

Guest
h squared <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

<snip>

> hey! that was nice of you to say :) being nice doesn't come naturally
> to me (the way, say, manipulating people does, lol) but i try..but any
> way, you're always polite, which is why i could never figure out how
> bruce johnson could get so upset by you.

It's the medium, not the message.

--
Bill Asher

Carl Sundquist

Guest

Bill C

Guest
Carl Sundquist wrote:
> "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.holidaykoala.com.au/athletehk/showGallery.asp?gallery=7&athleteID=1

> > She is a professional cyclist and they hide her legs.
> >

> I've always been a leg man, but here they seem a bit disporportionately big.
> Almost like she's flexing.
>
> >http://www.holidaykoala.com.au/athletehk/showPhoto.asp?gallery=7&photoID=321&athleteID=1<

Yeah, I think you're right. She definitely is in this one:
http://tinyurl.com/95p9l

http://www.holidaykoala.com.au/athletehk/showPhoto.asp?gallery=7&title=&photoID=214&athleteID=1
Bill C

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

> I don't think I'm allowed to post as a recumbent owner - my last
> purchase was a Fuji Paris Roubaix (which is kind of a funny name, in a
> way),

It would be better if it were the (Mt.) Fuji Mont Ventoux or the
Fuji Alpe d'Huez or something like that. I didn't mean to imply
that you should speak on behalf of recumbent riders, just that
you appear to have a fractionally larger clue as to what this
Big-Ender vs Little-Ender fight is about. But it's not exactly
important.

> so my recumbency has probably been impeached.

IOW, you are no longer the recumbent incumbent?

Donald Munro

Guest

[email protected] wrote:
> you appear to have a fractionally larger clue as to what this
> Big-Ender vs Little-Ender fight is about.

Intel vs Sun/IBM/Motorola ?

Curtis L. Russell

Guest
On 20 Nov 2005 23:26:33 -0800, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>IOW, you are no longer the recumbent incumbent?

Probably not. Have to say that if I wanted to ride a century in total
comfort, it would be one of my recumbents. The fast crowd in the
recumbent world seems to want it both ways. They mention how
comfortable recumbents are, just before going into all the compromises
they make to go fast on a recumbent. The Fuji is faster than I am, and
it cost a bit less than a fast recumbent.

I drifted away from the recumbent only crowd fairly easily. I went
through all that with tandems a decade earlier when too many 'real
tandem riders' seemed to think you were committing an act of betrayal
by riding with people on singles, even if you'd been riding with them
about ten or more years. Then I saw a proud tandem riding couple in
all purple on a purple Santana, looking like grinning grapes, and gave
it all up. The tandem crowd thing, not the tandem.

OTOH, we do have a tandem recumbent and it is purple...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...