Round the bay - without rego

Pablo Juan

Mar 21, 2006
Is it OK to jump in on the RTB - say just to go down to Sorento then head back up to Melb, without paying rego. Obviously no intention on using facilities/ferry. Do Melb roadies just jump in? Whats the rules?

If they use public roads and bike paths/lanes then you have every right to do your own thing ride-wise. [EDIT] You'll end up riding with riders of all capabilities, including those who are totally clueless. It might pay to avoid the congested start area, maybe leave it until the 5km mark to join the route.

From all reports it would be an act of lunacy to try to use the ferries even if you paid for the journey due to the sheer volume of ppl and bikes trying to fit on them.

Have fun.

Yes.

Guys have been doing this for years.

Warm day = a great perve. :D

Nothing to stop you riding on public roads as Jock has said. However, might I suggest if you are going to do this, you think about making a donation to the Smith Family (which is the charity the ATB is supposed to help).

matagi said:
Nothing to stop you riding on public roads as Jock has said. However, might I suggest if you are going to do this, you think about making a donation to the Smith Family (which is the charity the ATB is supposed to help).
What she said.

While I baulk at the prices of some of the rides, if a charity is benefiting I am more likely to consider an entry than if the fee is solely lining the pocket of an event promoter.

I don't know what the deal in OZ is like with public liability, but another thing to bear in mind is that if you haven't paid an entry fee and get tangled up in a crash you could end up personally liable for some of the costs. Event organisers here carry some public liability insurance for that eventuality.

Obvious non-entry riders here often get a bit of a serve from those that have shelled out for an entry fee.

matagi said:
matagi

Well put.

Don't know what the asking price is for the ATB being a cane toad muncher but seems only fair that any rider pitching up for the social ... ahem, perve ... benefits of the ride should kick a few coins into the charity tin.

S'pose it comes down to social conscience. I'm doing the Bris to Gold Coast diabetes charity ride this weekend up this way and I've paid, so I'm living the dream.

Whaddya reckon Pablo? Are your pockets deep enough to cough up a couple of bucks?

matagi said:
A donation to the Smith Family is a great idea for non-registered riders since none of BV's entry fee (don't know how much it is this year... $110- $120??) goes to the Smith Family.
I've registered/paid in the past but won't be doing it again. I'd rather throw some $$ to the charity.

Still unsure as to whether we're going this year cos our club champs are on this Sat so the legs might be rooted.

Thanks,

Good points, - suprised that the fee does not go to the Smith Family!??

Anyone training up for Baw Baw next year?

Baw Baw is a killer i am thinking about the race run by th local club, but that climb will make me cry, if its snowing like last year not a chance

Gee there are some penetrating insights in the replies you've got so far.

Of course it is legal to to ride on the same road at the same time, just as it is legal to fart loudly in a crowded tram.

Most people don't do either. Sure there will be some freeloaders, but keep in mind this year registered riders will have a "bib" pinned to the front and rear of their top. Riders without the bib will be very obvious.

The ride is a fund raiser for charity and if you wnat to participate you should pay.