Round the Island

Tony Raven

Guest
Well my first 100k of the year completed which, given I've not done much
more than the odd Brompton commute so far this year, wasn't bad going.

The trouble with the Isle of Wight is someone forgot to teach them the
word "flat"! Its either uphill or downhill with nothing in between and
the hills were relentless right to the end.

Still, the rain held off (until I was back in the ferry terminal), the
weather was cool which made for very comfortable cycling and only one
mishap. Just got up plenty of speed for the start of the climb over
Compton Down, snick down to the granny gear and off comes the chain! Ratz!

Shared the roads with well over a hundred motorcycists having a group
day out and the motorists were nothing if not courteous, frequently
waiting for long periods for cyclists to clear a narrow section of lane
before moving forward and always waiting patiently behind until it was
safe to pass.

All in all a top day out.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

>All in all a top day out.

Yeah, I made it there too in the end, with a mate of mine and enjoyed
it. I'm not sure whether clockwise is easier than anti [although I
can't see how], but I found it much less hard than last year, and
that's without doing much cycling so far this year. Odd.
On both occasions I've got lost finding the school in Bembridge
somehow.

The fish & chips in Lymington hit the spot too, so did the copious
amounts of Broadside when we got back.

Garry

garryb59 wrote:

> Yeah, I made it there too in the end, with a mate of mine and enjoyed
> it. I'm not sure whether clockwise is easier than anti [although I
> can't see how], but I found it much less hard than last year, and
> that's without doing much cycling so far this year. Odd.

Heard lots of folks saying the opposite. I've Gmap Pedometered it at
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=156434

> On both occasions I've got lost finding the school in Bembridge
> somehow.

Its confusing and made worse by some cyclists who know where it is
taking a short cut which misses out most of the signs. The short cut is
to turn left off the High Street down Forelands Road and its in the
school on Wallis Road. The problem is that some cyclists turn down
Forelands Road where the Cycle Route signs say straight on. Its then
later on signed as a double back down Steyne Road but by then lots of
people are confused as to which way they should be going.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=464930&Y=87713&A=Y&Z=1

> The fish & chips in Lymington hit the spot too, so did the copious
> amounts of Broadside when we got back.

:)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

On Mon, 01 May 2006 16:25:07 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
wrote:

>garryb59 wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, I made it there too in the end, with a mate of mine and enjoyed
>> it. I'm not sure whether clockwise is easier than anti [although I
>> can't see how], but I found it much less hard than last year, and
>> that's without doing much cycling so far this year. Odd.

>Heard lots of folks saying the opposite. I've Gmap Pedometered it at
>http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=156434
>
>> On both occasions I've got lost finding the school in Bembridge
>> somehow.

>Its confusing and made worse by some cyclists who know where it is
>taking a short cut which misses out most of the signs. The short cut is
>to turn left off the High Street down Forelands Road and its in the
>school on Wallis Road. The problem is that some cyclists turn down
>Forelands Road where the Cycle Route signs say straight on. Its then
>later on signed as a double back down Steyne Road but by then lots of
>people are confused as to which way they should be going.
>http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=464930&Y=87713&A=Y&Z=1

Ah, just realised [pulls screwed up map out of bag], had we looked at
the blow-up on the map we picked up at Yarmouth....we'd have found it,
pretty easily!
Next time.

cheers
Garry

Tony Raven wrote:

> Well my first 100k of the year completed which, given I've not done much
> more than the odd Brompton commute so far this year, wasn't bad going.

Second long(ish) ride of the year for me. First being the Romsey 125km. Mind
you I do ride every day. 10 miles!

> The trouble with the Isle of Wight is someone forgot to teach them the
> word "flat"! Its either uphill or downhill with nothing in between and
> the hills were relentless right to the end.

What about the flat bit up to Yarmouth on the causeway track? That must have
been a mile long at least. :)

> Still, the rain held off (until I was back in the ferry terminal), the
> weather was cool which made for very comfortable cycling and only one
> mishap. Just got up plenty of speed for the start of the climb over
> Compton Down, snick down to the granny gear and off comes the chain! Ratz!

It didn't rain at all for me, either on the ride or on the ferry. The
weather did seem perfect, I was initially worried about sunburn, it didn't
take long to disabuse me of that idea. No chain problems for me, although
plenty of self lowering seat post problems. I'm now looking for some kind
of agricultural bolt to stop that from happening again.

> Shared the roads with well over a hundred motorcycists having a group
> day out and the motorists were nothing if not courteous, frequently
> waiting for long periods for cyclists to clear a narrow section of lane
> before moving forward and always waiting patiently behind until it was
> safe to pass.

Were the motorcyclists the ones on the mini-motorcycles? I saw loads of them
while I was waiting to turn onto the military road after coming down from
Brook. I was generally very impressed with the motorists, especially a long
queue of Triumphs (I think) while heading into Ventnor. The only time I had
a motorist trying to pass me in a less than ideal position was back in
Cowes when I was overtaking another cyclist. I may have moved out a little
later than I would normally. No complaints from the motorist as he applied
the brakes though. :-/

> All in all a top day out.

<AOL>
--
Chris

garryb59 wrote:

>>All in all a top day out.

> Yeah, I made it there too in the end, with a mate of mine and enjoyed
> it. I'm not sure whether clockwise is easier than anti [although I
> can't see how], but I found it much less hard than last year, and
> that's without doing much cycling so far this year. Odd.
> On both occasions I've got lost finding the school in Bembridge
> somehow.

I've only been on the ride once, and I also missed the school in Bembridge.
The person I was riding with didn't have that excuse though...

> The fish & chips in Lymington hit the spot too, so did the copious
> amounts of Broadside when we got back.

Stopped for a brief (more than one and a half hours) rest at the Three
Bishops in Brighstone. I can recommend the Batemans XXXB. :) I was less
impressed with the food though. :-(
--
Chris

Chris Slade wrote:

> Tony Raven wrote:
>
> > Well my first 100k of the year

> Second long(ish) ride of the year for me. First being the Romsey 125km. Mind
> you I do ride every day. 10 miles!

We've just got back - me, a fellow cycling instructor, daughter and boyfriend
and 14yr-old bike mad son on his new stealth black Marin. We've all done the
full ride before but plumped for the 55km route this time.

> > The trouble with the Isle of Wight is someone forgot to teach them the
> > word "flat"!

> What about the flat bit up to Yarmouth on the causeway track? That must have
> been a mile long at least. :)

Our ride's section from Alverstone to Cowes was pan flat :))
It was superb bowling along for a dozen miles at near evens - it seemed the
55km option was very popular this year. We did have problems with the signing
in Newport though where the route led us directly into queues of people waiting
for buses. A tea-stop calmed our nerves.

> It didn't rain at all for me, either on the ride or on the ferry. The
> weather did seem perfect,

It rained _all_ last night on our three little tents which were pitched on a
farmsite just down the road from the excellent Travellers joy in Northwood,
Cowes.
We spent the time after the event supping Goddards fine IOW beers, playing pool
and taking part in the Pub Quiz.
The "Team Randonnee" came a very creditable 9th :)
Out of nine :-(

It was, as ever, a brill weekend.

John B

Chris Slade wrote:

> I've only been on the ride once, and I also missed the school in Bembridge.
> The person I was riding with didn't have that excuse though...

Luckily I knew the way, but the group of a good 20-30 in front of me went
sailing off into the distance.
The cakes seemed a bit smaller this year - or was i hungier - but the mugs of
tea went down a treat.
There was also a red Bike Friday with big chainrings propped up outside, with
a tall chap supping nearby - I wonder who that was?

John B

Chris Slade wrote:

> Stopped for a brief (more than one and a half hours) rest at the Three
> Bishops in Brighstone. I can recommend the Batemans XXXB. :) I was less
> impressed with the food though. :-(

The two good pubs on the route for food are the Red Lion in Freshwater
and the Buddle Inn in Niton, unless you really want to push the boat out
and eat at the George Hotel in Yarmouth.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

John B wrote:

> There was also a red Bike Friday with big chainrings propped up outside, with
> a tall chap supping nearby - I wonder who that was?

He's someone I know very well.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Tony Raven wrote:

> The trouble with the Isle of Wight is someone forgot to teach them the
> word "flat"! Its either uphill or downhill with nothing in between and
> the hills were relentless right to the end.

The final drag into Cowes seemed especially nasty. To avoid the
pedestrian area, you are faced with another three steep hills.

> Still, the rain held off (until I was back in the ferry terminal), the
> weather was cool which made for very comfortable cycling and only one
> mishap.

A bit cold, compared to previous years. Then again, I haven't blistered
my skin off, so perhaps that's a good thing.

> Shared the roads with well over a hundred motorcycists having a group
> day out and the motorists were nothing if not courteous, frequently
> waiting for long periods for cyclists to clear a narrow section of lane
> before moving forward and always waiting patiently behind until it was
> safe to pass.

Only saw one badly behaved motorist, in an ancient and smokey Porsche 924.

> All in all a top day out.

Indeed. And many thanks to the organisers, if they're looking in.

Al C-F wrote:

> The final drag into Cowes seemed especially nasty. To avoid the
> pedestrian area, you are faced with another three steep hills.

I grovelled up Solent View Road after the beach huts.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Tony Raven wrote:

> I grovelled up Solent View Road after the beach huts.

You must've been hallucinating.

John B wrote:

> Chris Slade wrote:
>
>> I've only been on the ride once, and I also missed the school in
>> Bembridge. The person I was riding with didn't have that excuse though...

> Luckily I knew the way, but the group of a good 20-30 in front of me went
> sailing off into the distance.
> The cakes seemed a bit smaller this year - or was i hungier - but the mugs
> of tea went down a treat.

I wanted cake at Yarmouth. There wasn't any left. :-( Fortunately there was
TEA. :)

> There was also a red Bike Friday with big chainrings propped up outside,
> with
> a tall chap supping nearby - I wonder who that was?

I only saw one Bike Friday, and I don't remember it being red. Various
Airnimal and Trek folding bikes too. I even saw one woman on a Brompton,
but only as I got off the ferry at Cowes. She probably got round quicker
than I did!
--
Chris

The world is coming to an end! Repent and return those library books!

Tony Raven wrote:

> The two good pubs on the route for food are the Red Lion in Freshwater
> and the Buddle Inn in Niton, unless you really want to push the boat out
> and eat at the George Hotel in Yarmouth.

Maybe Freshwater would have been better. Climbing up Compton down with a
full stomach and a couple of beers was hard work.
--
Chris

Chris Slade wrote:

> I even saw one woman on a Brompton,
> but only as I got off the ferry at Cowes. She probably got round quicker
> than I did!

That would be Mary Jane on her Steve Parry Brompton special complete
with Rohloff 14sp hub, suspension handlebars and V-brakes. She finished
around 19:00. There was also a guy doing it on a 5 speed standard
Brompton that I met at Yarmouth. I was on a red Bike Friday.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Al C-F wrote:

> The final drag into Cowes seemed especially nasty. To avoid the
> pedestrian area, you are faced with another three steep hills.

Amen to that: getting a calf cramp in my right leg as I turned into the
first one (with right foot unclipped to avoid heel contact - one of the
few 'bent downsides) was not pleasant, but fortunately my left leg had
enough 'go' in it to work the right one for a few rotations and keep me
going.
Had the misfortune of having a whole bunch of the motorcyclists blast
past one of the hills on the Military Road, including some monster
tricycle thingy. Definitely not pleasant to get a prolonged faceful of
unregulated vehicle emissions when trying to get oxygen in one's lungs
:(
Made the peace and quiet after they'd gone seem doubly nice, though.

> > All in all a top day out.
> >

> Indeed. And many thanks to the organisers, if they're looking in.

Most definitely: gave me the perfect excuse for my first longish ride
on my Mistral.

Al C-F wrote:

> Tony Raven wrote:
>
> Only saw one badly behaved motorist, in an ancient and smokey Porsche 924.

The chap on the chain ferry told us yesterday that there were quite a lot of
aggressive motorists who took umbrage at all the bikies.
Apparently these were all 'tourists' as the local islanders understand it is
only one day a year, and also that the riders bring a lot of trade to the
island in sales of energy bars, cakes and beer.

John B

Chris Slade wrote:

> I wanted cake at Yarmouth. There wasn't any left. :-(

Our team had three cakes each :))

John B

Tony Raven wrote:

> Chris Slade wrote:
> >
> > I even saw one woman on a Brompton,
> > but only as I got off the ferry at Cowes. She probably got round quicker
> > than I did!

> That would be Mary Jane on her Steve Parry Brompton special complete
> with Rohloff 14sp hub, suspension handlebars and V-brakes.

I saw two ladies on standard Brommies at Cowes.

John B