Round the Island

John B wrote:

>> Tony Raven wrote:
>>
>> Only saw one badly behaved motorist, in an ancient and smokey Porsche 924.

No I didn't. Please check you quoting.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Tony Raven wrote:

> John B wrote:
>
> >> Tony Raven wrote:
> >>
> >> Only saw one badly behaved motorist, in an ancient and smokey Porsche 924.

> No I didn't. Please check you quoting.

Oh deary me. Soooo sorry :-(

John B

Tony Raven wrote:
> John B wrote:
>
>>> Tony Raven wrote:
>>>

>> Only saw one badly behaved motorist, in an ancient and smokey
>> Porsche 924.

> No I didn't. Please check you quoting.

Well, how many did you see, then?

--
Ambrose

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:

>>> Only saw one badly behaved motorist, in an ancient and smokey
>>> Porsche 924.

>> No I didn't. Please check you quoting.

> Well, how many did you see, then?

I didn't see any but Al C-F saw one in a ancient Porsche 924.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Tony Raven wrote:
> Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
>> Tony Raven wrote:
>>>
>>> No I didn't. Please check you quoting.

>> Well, how many did you see, then?

> I didn't see any but Al C-F saw one in a ancient Porsche 924.

Well, what was Al C-F doing in an ancient Porsche 924, then?

--
Ambrose

>>> Well, how many did you see, then?
>>
>> I didn't see any but Al C-F saw one in a ancient Porsche 924.

> Well, what was Al C-F doing in an ancient Porsche 924, then?

Well you can't expect to be first in the queue at the cafe stops if you
/cycle/ there.

Tony Raven wrote:
> Chris Slade wrote:
> >
> > I even saw one woman on a Brompton,
> > but only as I got off the ferry at Cowes. She probably got round quicker
> > than I did!

> That would be Mary Jane on her Steve Parry Brompton special complete
> with Rohloff 14sp hub, suspension handlebars and V-brakes. She finished
> around 19:00. There was also a guy doing it on a 5 speed standard

I saw that lady and had a chat about the bike. IIRC, she was preparing
for some Scottish epic and didn't feel that a vanilla brommie would cut
the mustard.

> Brompton that I met at Yarmouth. I was on a red Bike Friday.

I may have seen you. You may have seen me, even; I was leaning on a
gate having a quiet smoke just before the Alverstone checkpoint -
watching people (inc a chap on a red Bike Friday) come barrelling over
the traffic-calming at the end of the "Quiet Roads" stretch.

I was on a Dahon speed TR.

John B wrote:

> Chris Slade wrote:
>
>> I wanted cake at Yarmouth. There wasn't any left. :-(

> Our team had three cakes each :))

That explains it then. :-( Next year I'll ride a bit harder, get the pub
lunch out of the way by 1pm, and get to the cake stop earlier. :)
--
Chris

UFOs are for real; the Air Force doesn't exist.

Not Responding wrote:

> I may have seen you. You may have seen me, even; I was leaning on a
> gate having a quiet smoke just before the Alverstone checkpoint -
> watching people (inc a chap on a red Bike Friday) come barrelling over
> the traffic-calming at the end of the "Quiet Roads" stretch.

Barrelling doesn't sound like me unless you're referring to what was, in
my youth, my six-pack ;-) On Sunday though it was hidden under my
"muscles" cycling top -
http://www.primalwear.com/images/clothing/JESJERL_LG.gif

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

John B wrote:

> Al C-F wrote:
>
>> Only saw one badly behaved motorist, in an ancient and smokey Porsche
>> 924.

> The chap on the chain ferry told us yesterday that there were quite a lot
> of aggressive motorists who took umbrage at all the bikies.

The motorists all seemed quite happy to be sharing the chain ferry with us
when I got on, at about 17:00. The chain ferry conductor told us that we
were taking up far too much space and we should push a bit further to the
front. All in good spirit though. And he did stand in the way of a car that
looked a little too eager to get off the ferry on the other side.

> Apparently these were all 'tourists' as the local islanders understand it
> is only one day a year, and also that the riders bring a lot of trade to
> the island in sales of energy bars, cakes and beer.

And pub lunches...
--
Chris

"Wizard's Guild parking ONLY! Violators will be toad." -- seen on
Kuro5hin.org

Tony Raven wrote:
> Not Responding wrote:
> >
> > I may have seen you. You may have seen me, even; I was leaning on a
> > gate having a quiet smoke just before the Alverstone checkpoint -
> > watching people (inc a chap on a red Bike Friday) come barrelling over
> > the traffic-calming at the end of the "Quiet Roads" stretch.
> >

> Barrelling doesn't sound like me unless you're referring to what was, in
> my youth, my six-pack ;-) On Sunday though it was hidden under my
> "muscles" cycling top -
> http://www.primalwear.com/images/clothing/JESJERL_LG.gif

Wasn't you then. The gent I saw was much more of the
trousers-tucked-into-socks variety.