Round the World on a Wheel

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by Brenda Lacey, Rex Button, Aug 17, 2004.

  1. Anyone familiar with the book "Round the World on a Wheel: Being the
    Narrative of a Bicycle Ride Through Seventeen Countries ..."? It's by Sir
    John Foster Fraser (and others, I believe).

    Could someone give me an idea of what it's like? Is it about politics or
    bicycling, or both?

    Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    "Brenda Lacey, Rex Button" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Anyone familiar with the book "Round the World on a Wheel: Being the
    > Narrative of a Bicycle Ride Through Seventeen Countries ..."? It's by Sir
    > John Foster Fraser (and others, I believe).
    >
    > Could someone give me an idea of what it's like? Is it about politics or
    > bicycling, or both?

    It's a ripping yarn! Easy reading and full of adventures as the intrepid
    trio set off on a journey that takes them "through seventeen countries
    covering
    19287 miles in 774 days".
    I found my copy in a remainders bookshop and really enjoyed it. I very
    rarely read travel books preferring good contemporary literary fiction .
    I'll have to read it again to refresh myself.
    Great stuff.
    All the best
    Dan Gregory

    ---

  3. On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Brenda Lacey, Rex Button wrote:

    > Anyone familiar with the book "Round the World on a Wheel: Being the
    > Narrative of a Bicycle Ride Through Seventeen Countries ..."? It's by Sir
    > John Foster Fraser (and others, I believe).

    I thought I had that book, but on checking what I have is a different
    book with a similar name:

    "AROUND THE WORLD AWHEEL" by Brian Kinsman, based on the diaries
    of Karl Creelman.

    Karl Creelman, of Truro Nova Scotia, cycled around the world in
    1899-1901.

    A tragic story in several ways. Creelman caught malaria (plus dengue
    fever) on his travels and the disease kept returning the rest of his
    life, eventually killing him at the early age of 46. He had intended to
    write a book about his trip but never got around to it.

    So Kinsman's account is not as good as what Creelman himself would
    have wrote.

    Published by Lancelot Press (1993) ISBN 0-88999-544-3

    --

    David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
    email: [email protected]

  4. Don't suppose you know where I could get a copy? I've tried online searches
    but all I can turn up is a read-aloud version on tapes; that's not what I
    want.

    Thanks for the info.

    Dan Gregory wrote in message ...
    >It's a ripping yarn! Easy reading and full of adventures as the intrepid
    >trio set off on a journey that takes them "through seventeen countries
    >covering
    >19287 miles in 774 days".
    >I found my copy in a remainders bookshop and really enjoyed it. I very
    >rarely read travel books preferring good contemporary literary fiction .
    >I'll have to read it again to refresh myself.
    >Great stuff.
    >All the best
    >Dan Gregory
    >

    >---

  5. Ya, that's a different one. But it sounds good and I'm adding it to my list.
    Thanks!

    David Dermott wrote in message ...
    > I thought I had that book, but on checking what I have is a different
    >book with a similar name:
    >
    > "AROUND THE WORLD AWHEEL" by Brian Kinsman, based on the diaries
    >of Karl Creelman.
    >
    > Karl Creelman, of Truro Nova Scotia, cycled around the world in
    >1899-1901.
    >
    > A tragic story in several ways. Creelman caught malaria (plus dengue
    >fever) on his travels and the disease kept returning the rest of his
    >life, eventually killing him at the early age of 46. He had intended to
    >write a book about his trip but never got around to it.
    >
    > So Kinsman's account is not as good as what Creelman himself would
    >have wrote.
    >
    > Published by Lancelot Press (1993) ISBN 0-88999-544-3
    >
    >--
    >
    > David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
    > email: [email protected]
    > WWW pages: http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/

  6. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    "Brenda Lacey, Rex Button" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Don't suppose you know where I could get a copy? I've tried online

    searches
    > but all I can turn up is a read-aloud version on tapes; that's not what I
    > want.

    As I found mine in a remaindered bookshop I don't know if there are any left
    but here are the details :- ISBN 0 7088 4268 2 Republished in the UK in 1989
    by Futura Books
    Original edition 1899 Thomas Nelson.
    Next time I go to Hay on Wye I'll see if there are any copies there.
    Good hunting
    Dan Gregory

    ---

  7. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

  8. rhnb

    rhnb Guest

  9. Janet

    Janet Guest

    rhnb wrote:
    > Brenda Lacey, Rex Button wrote:
    >
    >>Don't suppose you know where I could get a copy? I've tried online
    >>searches but all I can turn up is a read-aloud version on tapes;
    >>that's not what I want.
    >>
    >>Thanks for the info.

    > There are a few copies of it available here...
    > http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet...+Box*Form&tn=world+on+a+wheel&imagefield.y=11
    >
    > Cheeers... Allan.
    > ~~~
    > http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/index.htm
    > Italian Cycle tour reports and the home of...
    > Cycling Before Lycra

    You can also try Amazon.com
    Besides new, they also sell some used books and have a couple of links
    to othere sites that sell used books.

    Janet