Roundabouts - how to take them?

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:00:32 +0100, "Michael Kent" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I found this page very useful in an argument with another car driver the other day
>http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/17.shtml#160
>
>All about roundabouts

Excellent pic. There are obviously no BMWs depicted in the image as all the cars are signalling
correctly.

On roundabouts, I treat myself as a slow moving motorcycle. Having said that, there is but one
roundabout near my home that is anything like a motorway-style roundabout. I guess I'm lucky in
that respect.

James

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:17:16 GMT, Mark van Gorkom <[email protected]> wrote:
> I actually like UK roundabouts, esp. the larger ones!

Roundabout surfing can be fun, true. I just wish the ones near where I live had better sight-lines.
Round Oxford you get everything from great view-obscuring grassy hills in the middle some of the
larger roundabouts, to miniature wicker men (http://uk.imdb.com/Title?0070917) in the middle of some
of the smaller ones. Strange place, Oxfordshire.

> I used the same strategy on a mini roundabout (more a glorified crossing) once, and almost got
> flattened by a van hurtling straight across, so now I'm a bit more carefull when aproaching the
> smaller ones!

Priority tends to go out of the window around miniroundabouts if there are two users approaching
from different directions. No-one seems sure who to defer to.

> P.S.: over here, roundabouts usually have a seperate cycle lane going round the outside; slower
> and less safe IMHO.

Ugh. Definitely less safe. I hope you're not compelled to use them.

--
Andrew Chadwick <We're all in this together