Roundabouts...

repiV

Apr 10, 2004
The last time I rode a bike I was about 8 years old, a BMX...
Well, I got a hybrid bike the other day, I've been riding around the sidestreets, just decided today to just go for it and rode to the town centre. Did fine... Problem is, I'm in London and as such theres a lot of traffic and the roundabouts look totally intimidating. One of them has five exits, and its up the top of an A road (which I avoid by taking the sideroads - but still end up at the roundabout). I'd really like to be able to do the roundabouts whilst still being on the bike, though. Any tips on how not to kill myself whilst going on roundabouts would be appreciated :)
Also, I don't bother indicating, because I'd fall off if I tried :)

Thanks.

I've got some nasty roundabouts to do too. I find one of the best ways to do them is to take them like you would if you were in a car, i.e. don't try to fit between lanes - ride in the middle of a lane. Most roundabouts should be slow enough that you don't cause much of a delay, and if you do - tough, they can wait. But practice indicating until you can do it safely, because it really matters. Also practice looking over your shoulder without veering wildly off course. On a bike in traffic you're trusting the motorists around you with your health and/or life, so you've got to help them out and let them know where you're going to go.

Originally posted by repiV
Okay, I'll do that.
Thanks for your time :)

Where are you riding from/to?

I ride in from Stratford most days... it takes a bit of planning but you can usually find a good way to avoid major roads. The LCC do some cyclist's maps which help!

I live in the Harrow area in Greater London. I wanna take the bike anywhere I want to go really, *shrug* :)