Route 7 Bike Shorts (Knicks)

On Mar 1, 6:38 pm, Andrew Priest <[email protected]> wrote:
> G'day
>
> I have posted my thoughts on my recent purchase of a pair of Route 7
> knicks from Torpedo7.com athttp://aushiker.blogspot.com/2008/02/route-7-bike-shorts-knicks.html
>
> Also interested if anyone has suggestions for knicks with more, eh
> coverage, at the rear for bigger blokes.

Have you considered, eh, going to an LBS and trying some on?

Bleve wrote:
> On Mar 1, 6:38 pm, Andrew Priest <[email protected]> wrote:
>> G'day
>>
>> I have posted my thoughts on my recent purchase of a pair of Route 7
>> knicks from Torpedo7.com athttp://aushiker.blogspot.com/2008/02/route-7-bike-shorts-knicks.html
>>
>> Also interested if anyone has suggestions for knicks with more, eh
>> coverage, at the rear for bigger blokes.
>>

> Have you considered, eh, going to an LBS and trying some on?

Yeah - and then you buy them online to save some cash. It works a treat ;-P

"Andrew Priest" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> G'day
>
> I have posted my thoughts on my recent purchase of a pair of Route 7
> knicks from Torpedo7.com at
> http://aushiker.blogspot.com/2008/02/route-7-bike-shorts-knicks.html
>
> Also interested if anyone has suggestions for knicks with more, eh
> coverage, at the rear for bigger blokes.
>
> Regards
> Andrew
> -----
> Churchlands, Western Australia
> Giant CRX 1; Giant Boulder SE
> http://aushiker.com http://aushiker.blogspot.com

I find the Gerolsteiner team pro kits fit me quite good and are quite
comfortable over many Km's, I am using the size 6 Gerolsteiner bib n brace
and top as they were the largest size that the guy I got them had.

He had CSC, FDJ, Caisse and Gerolsteiner but all the others size 6 were a
lot smaller, I could not even get the others past my knees as the leg hole
was just too small, and even if I managed to get my leg into it then there
was the problem of my backside :p

As you can see in this photo I am not a small rider.

<
http://www.hunterdistrict.com/images/Steel River Oct/B Grade/P1130972.JPG >

On Mar 2, 7:08 am, Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:

> Have you considered, eh, going to an LBS and trying some on?

Has it every occured to you that the LBS might not stock suitable
brands? Has it every occurred to you that the brands that they may
stock, assuming that they are okay, may be outside an acceptable price
range? You may be able to afford to spend up big, but not everyone
can, including myself.

Oh, thanks for your constructive and helpful response.

Regards
Andrew

On Mar 2, 10:32 am, "Boostland" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> "Andrew Priest" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> I find the Gerolsteiner team pro kits fit me quite good and are quite
> comfortable over many Km's, I am using the size 6 Gerolsteiner bib n brace
> and top as they were the largest size that the guy I got them had.

Thanks for this. I will check them out.

Andrew

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 1 Mar 2008 21:40:07 -0800 (PST)
[email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 2, 7:08 am, Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> Have you considered, eh, going to an LBS and trying some on?

> Has it every occured to you that the LBS might not stock suitable
> brands? Has it every occurred to you that the brands that they may
> stock, assuming that they are okay, may be outside an acceptable price
> range? You may be able to afford to spend up big, but not everyone
> can, including myself.

Does that mean you have? Or that you are sure these things are true,
so won't bother trying?

Way back when I was riding wedgies so needed knicks, there were shops
that had what I needed. Some cost more than others, but a little work
was usually repaid.

Being a very difficult to fit size, it took more effort for me than it
might for others, but that's true of most things involving clothing.

I have had a worse time buying over the net for exactly that reason -
that I can't try things on before buying.

Depends on the online shop - the upmarket ones tend to be a lot better
about discussing sizing. THe expensive stuff doesn't always last longer,
discovering what's good quality compared to what just costs a lot is
harder over the net than in person too.

Zebee
- who doesn't buy cycling specific clothing anymore, but does buy
good wool over the net which works well for winter cycling.

On Mar 2, 2:59 pm, Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:

> Does that mean you have? Or that you are sure these things are true,
> so won't bother trying?

Well I haven't been to every bike shop in town but I have been to the
three near me plus one in the hills. One bike shop stocked a pair of
reasonable priced ones which have been good, however, they are wearing
out and they don't stock now or at least didn't have them when I
looked again recently.

As I ride pretty much seven days a week I need a few pair hence I
sometimes buy online as well. My T7 ones are quite good, but at their
current price I am not keen on getting more pairs. They are okay, but
not worth $60.00 a pair.

I have also got a European branded pair which was quite pricey but
they, whilst being much thicker, have a narrow chamois too.

All this is why I asked for suggested brands to check out. I may then
be able to track down either local or online retailers.

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew Priest wrote:
> G'day
>
> I have posted my thoughts on my recent purchase of a pair of Route 7
> knicks from Torpedo7.com at
> http://aushiker.blogspot.com/2008/02/route-7-bike-shorts-knicks.html
>
> Also interested if anyone has suggestions for knicks with more, eh
> coverage, at the rear for bigger blokes.

We've recently been using Ventou for our knicks and jerseys. The knicks
are a very comfy fit once you've worked out the right sizing and their
range is extensive (XXS to XXL I think). Check their website
(www.ventou.com.au) to find out if there are any local stockists. As for
price... we pay around the $70-$80 mark for knicks with our own design
but the price comes down for the bulk purchases we make (24 or more
units). These are extremely comfy and I'm regularly in them for 3-4 hour
stretches with no discomfort. In my experience, you'll struggle to find
comfortable knicks for less than $50.

> On Mar 2, 2:59 pm, Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> Does that mean you have? Or that you are sure these things are true,
>> so won't bother trying?

> Well I haven't been to every bike shop in town but I have been to the
> three near me plus one in the hills. One bike shop stocked a pair of
> reasonable priced ones which have been good, however, they are wearing
> out and they don't stock now or at least didn't have them when I
> looked again recently.
>
> As I ride pretty much seven days a week I need a few pair hence I
> sometimes buy online as well. My T7 ones are quite good, but at their
> current price I am not keen on getting more pairs. They are okay, but
> not worth $60.00 a pair.
>
> I have also got a European branded pair which was quite pricey but
> they, whilst being much thicker, have a narrow chamois too.
>
> All this is why I asked for suggested brands to check out. I may then
> be able to track down either local or online retailers.
>
> Cheers
> Andrew

Check out the Nalini shorts and bib n brace towards the bottom of this page,
they have large chamois and are quite comfortable and of a high quality and
for $20.99 for shorts and $24.23 for the bib n brace they are good value for
$$.

<
http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?cat=Shorts & Bib Shorts&START=0&LIMIT=41 >

Nalini make the Gerolsteiner kits I use, and quite a few of the other pro
team kits.

On Mar 3, 9:19 am, Bean Long <[email protected]> wrote:

> We've recently been using Ventou for our knicks and jerseys. The knicks
> are a very comfy fit once you've worked out the right sizing and their
> range is extensive (XXS to XXL I think). Check their website
> (www.ventou.com.au) to find out if there are any local stockists. As for
> price... we pay around the $70-$80 mark for knicks with our own design
> but the price comes down for the bulk purchases we make (24 or more
> units). These are extremely comfy and I'm regularly in them for 3-4 hour
> stretches with no discomfort. In my experience, you'll struggle to find
> comfortable knicks for less than $50.

My Ventou bibs are far better than the standard Ventou knicks i own.
The good thing about Ventou is they have a few different chamois
options, and I've heard women say they prefer to ride with the "men's"
chamois (though no men admitting to riding with the "women's"
chamois). These guys are based in Melbourne, though, so not sure what
the distribution in your part of the country is, Andrew. Another
Aussie option is 2xU, though they tend to be a bit pricier. I have a
pair of their bib knicks and I actually find the chamois almost too
wide. Definitely good quality though - both in comfort and wear - and
I'm not sorry I spent the money on them.

On Mar 2, 4:40 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 2, 7:08 am, Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Have you considered, eh, going to an LBS and trying some on?

> Has it every occured to you that the LBS might not stock suitable
> brands? Has it every occurred to you that the brands that they may
> stock, assuming that they are okay, may be outside an acceptable price
> range? You may be able to afford to spend up big, but not everyone
> can, including myself.

My knicks don't cost that much (<$100), and if you're wearing them 7
days a week, for a few hours at a time, and then moaning about cost,
you need to do your sums again. Bang for buck, even the most
expensive knicks are very good value.

Now put the dummy back in, it's getting dirty.

On Mar 3, 9:23 am, "Boostland" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Check out the Nalini shorts and bib n brace towards the bottom of this page,
> they have large chamois and are quite comfortable and of a high quality and
> for $20.99 for shorts and $24.23 for the bib n brace they are good value for
> $$.
>
> <http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?cat=Shorts%20%26%20Bib%20Shorts...>

another vote here for Nalini bib shorts... though I do find the
material a little thin (wore a hole in my **** within 6 months or so).

But at that price, I picked up a pair on pbk with my last order
'just in case'.

On Mar 3, 1:33 pm, Duncan <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 3, 9:23 am, "Boostland" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > Check out the Nalini shorts and bib n brace towards the bottom of this page,
> > they have large chamois and are quite comfortable and of a high quality and
> > for $20.99 for shorts and $24.23 for the bib n brace they are good value for
> > $$.

> > <http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?cat=Shorts%20%26%20Bib%20Shorts...>

> another vote here for Nalini bib shorts... though I do find the
> material a little thin (wore a hole in my **** within 6 months or so).

Ouch! How'd the shorts hold up? ;-)

[email protected]:

> On Mar 3, 1:33 pm, Duncan <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Mar 3, 9:23 am, "Boostland" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Check out the Nalini shorts and bib n brace towards the bottom of this page,
>>> they have large chamois and are quite comfortable and of a high quality and
>>> for $20.99 for shorts and $24.23 for the bib n brace they are good value for
>>> $$.

>>> <http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?cat=Shorts%20%26%20Bib%20Shorts...>

>> another vote here for Nalini bib shorts... though I do find the
>> material a little thin (wore a hole in my **** within 6 months or so).

I was born with one.
--
Steve = : ^ )

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 16:35:40 -0800 (PST), Bleve
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mar 2, 4:40 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> can, including myself.

>My knicks don't cost that much (<$100), and if you're wearing them 7
>days a week, for a few hours at a time, and then moaning about cost,
>you need to do your sums again. Bang for buck, even the most
>expensive knicks are very good value.
>
>Now put the dummy back in, it's getting dirty.

You mean so you can work on your comprehension skills?

Andrew.

-----
Churchlands, Western Australia
Giant CRX 1; Giant Boulder SE
http://aushiker.com http://aushiker.blogspot.com

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 09:19:19 +1100, Bean Long
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Andrew Priest wrote:

>We've recently been using Ventou for our knicks and jerseys. The knicks
>are a very comfy fit once you've worked out the right sizing and their
>range is extensive (XXS to XXL I think). Check their website
>(www.ventou.com.au) to find out if there are any local stockists. As for
>price... we pay around the $70-$80 mark for knicks with our own design
>but the price comes down for the bulk purchases we make (24 or more
>units). These are extremely comfy and I'm regularly in them for 3-4 hour
>stretches with no discomfort. In my experience, you'll struggle to find
>comfortable knicks for less than $50.

Thanks for your comments and the link. Will check them out.

Andrew
-----
Churchlands, Western Australia
Giant CRX 1; Giant Boulder SE
http://aushiker.com http://aushiker.blogspot.com

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 16:19:53 -0800 (PST), Simon
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Another
>Aussie option is 2xU, though they tend to be a bit pricier. I have a
>pair of their bib knicks and I actually find the chamois almost too
>wide. Definitely good quality though - both in comfort and wear - and
>I'm not sorry I spent the money on them.

Thanks for the information. Will check them out.

Andrew
-----

"Bean Long" wrote:

> We've recently been using Ventou for our knicks and jerseys. The knicks
> are a very comfy fit once you've worked out the right sizing and their
> range is extensive (XXS to XXL I think). Check their website
> (www.ventou.com.au) to find out if there are any local stockists. As for
> price... we pay around the $70-$80 mark for knicks with our own design but
> the price comes down for the bulk purchases we make (24 or more units).
> These are extremely comfy and I'm regularly in them for 3-4 hour stretches
> with no discomfort. In my experience, you'll struggle to find comfortable
> knicks for less than $50.

I've been using these from Ground Effect
http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-detail-SPU-SHO.htm

At $A79 they are about the same price as mid-range shorts, but I've been
using one pair since 1990 and another since about 2001. No sign of any
serious wear, nothing beyond the fading of the reflective log. Last knicks
before these that I bought were some Nettis for about $90 that died after
about 3 years. The lycra gradually dissolved in the **** until they were
'offensive behaviour' to ride in public. GE seem to have excellent quality
lycra. I have often worn them all day, for 5-6 hours of riding on long tours
and find them very comfy.

$79 that lasts for 10 years is a damn sight better value than $40 that ony
lasts 3 years.
--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"PeteSig" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Bean Long" wrote:
>>
>> We've recently been using Ventou for our knicks and jerseys. The
>> knicks are a very comfy fit once you've worked out the right sizing
>> and their range is extensive (XXS to XXL I think). Check their
>> website (www.ventou.com.au) to find out if there are any local
>> stockists. As for price... we pay around the $70-$80 mark for knicks
>> with our own design but the price comes down for the bulk purchases
>> we make (24 or more units). These are extremely comfy and I'm
>> regularly in them for 3-4 hour stretches with no discomfort. In my
>> experience, you'll struggle to find comfortable knicks for less than
>> $50.

> I've been using these from Ground Effect
> http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-detail-SPU-SHO.htm
>
> At $A79 they are about the same price as mid-range shorts, but I've
> been using one pair since 1990 and another since about 2001. No sign
> of any serious wear, nothing beyond the fading of the reflective
> log. Last knicks before these that I bought were some Nettis for about
> $90 that died after about 3 years. The lycra gradually dissolved in
> the **** until they were 'offensive behaviour' to ride in public. GE
> seem to have excellent quality lycra. I have often worn them all day,
> for 5-6 hours of riding on long tours and find them very comfy.
>
> $79 that lasts for 10 years is a damn sight better value than $40 that
> ony lasts 3 years.

Or worse, the two different pairs of Netti nicks I paid $50 and $60 for
that lasted less than 6 months before falling apart at all the badly
done seams.

OTOH, I'm a *very* happy Ground Effect customer, I've an ancient
long-sleeved jersey of theirs that has been worn for winters and tours
for about nine years now, and three current pairs of nicks are all their
gear. The one time in nine years that I've ever had any hassles with a
mail-order that didn't show up and they were very helpful in tracking it
down and sending replacements.

> Cheers
> Peter

Adrian