Route maps from Adventure Cycling

navitatl

Oct 1, 2006
I am looking to tour the east coast next summer.
Has anyone here had experience with Adventure Cycling?
They seem to have very useful and up-to-date maps, but that's just by looking at their own descriptions.
I think their "Atlantic Coast Route" would be an amazing experience, stopping in Boston, D.C., and so many other great places. I just need to know I'll always have a place to stay.
So, your thoughts on this association?

navitatl said:
I am looking to tour the east coast next summer.
Has anyone here had experience with Adventure Cycling?
They seem to have very useful and up-to-date maps, but that's just by looking at their own descriptions.
I think their "Atlantic Coast Route" would be an amazing experience, stopping in Boston, D.C., and so many other great places. I just need to know I'll always have a place to stay.
So, your thoughts on this association?
Hello. I have cycled the east coast three times. There is a book out by Donna Ikenberry titled Bicycling the Atlantic Coast. It beats the AC maps and is much less expensive. If you free-camp and go self contained like I do, you really do not need all that much information, but a good guide book may be indispensable for the type of cycling you do.

Around May the winds turn around and start pushing from the south to the north. Around October they start getting serious from the north to the south.
Route 17 is okay till you get passed Savannah going north where you cross the river and it becomes two lanes and narrow with entirely way too much overly speeding and very discourteous motor traffic. On Some back roads in SC you might encounder what I call terrorist truck drivers who seem to think that if you are on a bike you had better get off the road or die, even when they have all kinds of room to pass you with no oncoming traffic hemming them in.

I cycled from Stuart, Florida to Bangor, Maine in twenty days cycling. That was over 1800 miles from as far as I can see it from scaling off the map. Highway 13 seems to be okay. There was a three digit road that was great with a service road and all kinds of good space.

If you have any specific questions I might be able to give you some good information.

Alright, I will order a copy of the book you mentioned. I am mostly concerned with finding routes and places to camp.
I don't really have a good grasp on the whole camping thing. Can you just set up camp in any wooded area along the route? I'll probably spend a few days in hotels in some of the bigger cities, so that I can do sightseeing.
Also, I have an online freelance writing service that I would like to continue while I'm on the road. If I bring my laptop along, do you think I'll encounter a sufficient amount of internet cafes to be able to upload my work at least once every two days?
Thanks a lot for your help.

navitatl said:
Alright, I will order a copy of the book you mentioned. I am mostly concerned with finding routes and places to camp.
I don't really have a good grasp on the whole camping thing. Can you just set up camp in any wooded area along the route? I'll probably spend a few days in hotels in some of the bigger cities, so that I can do sightseeing.
Also, I have an online freelance writing service that I would like to continue while I'm on the road. If I bring my laptop along, do you think I'll encounter a sufficient amount of internet cafes to be able to upload my work at least once every two days?
Thanks a lot for your help.
Free camping is fairly elemental as far as I am concerned, and some areas require you to use motels because there simply are no places to camp. Once you are up around the DC area there seems to be pretty much solid city with little surcease on northward. Usually with a little or a lot of scouting around a free camp is to be had somewhere, but it might not be worth the time and effort.

As for internet cafes, I do not know. That is not exactly what I consider to do with bicycle touring, but I can tell you this much, of all my cycle touring during which I used online facilities, only one public library turned me down for being a non member and that was in Port Isabel, Texas.

My advice would be to choose your routes, then look up internet services through the online yellow pages or through calling ahead to the regular 411 servives along the way. It is my guess that between free library services and internet services and cafes you should be all right, but there is no way I am going to say---sure go ahead and you will have no problem with that at all---because I am not knowledgeable on that aspect of it. My own experience has been that if I was willing to take the time and effort to find a library I was always able to get online---well almost always because sometimes services were closed.