Route of Vuelta a España 2004

azurki

Oct 29, 2003
Hi! I´m from Basque Country and this is my first message in this forum. Please, sorry, my English is not very perfect.

This Wednesday the organization of Vuelta a España had displayed the route of 2004 edition.
The most important things are the following:
· There are 4 time trials: one team t.t. in the first stage (León-León); two flat individual t.t. (in Valencia and the last day in Madrid) and other individual time trial in Sierra Nevada (very hard, I think this stage is the most decisive).
· There are 4 (5 with Sierra Nevada time trial) finishes in the top of mountains: a classic stage in Navacerrada; in La Covatilla sky station (where Roberto Heras won in 2002); in Aitana (where Klaus Moller won in 2001); and the newness of this Vuelta: Calar Alto, a little know mountain in the South of Spain. The characteristics of this climb are: 22,8 kms.; 2148 metres of altitude and 1390 metres of unevennes (6,10%) with some steeps sections. It is a “Hors Category” climb, I think. In my opinion, this will be a great stage in the Vuelta. You can see the profile of Calar Alto, and some photos, a little map and other information in this site (in Spanish): http://www.altimetrias.com/aspbk/verPuerto.asp?id=388
· Also there are some stages with middle-mountains: Zaragoza-Morella; Benicarló-Castellón; perhaps El Ejido-Málaga, and overcoat two stages: Alcoy-Xorret del Catí, with a final climbing in a short but very steep mountain; and Málaga-Granada, with Alto del Purche in the last kilometres. Also the stage Béjar-Ávila is difficult.
· The other stages are flat, without mountains.
· In 2004, the Vuelta will not visit the North of Spain (with the Cantabric Mountains in Asturias, Cantabria, Galicia,…so they wont´t climb some mountains like Anglirú, Lagos de Covagonda, etc), neither Pyrenees. The route will visit the East (Valencia) and the South of Spain (Andalucía), and Madrid and sorroundings.

:) :) :)

The 12th stage (Calar Alto) will probably be very important not just because of the last climb but the two really tough climbs before it.
04 looks to have somewhat steeper mountains than 03, which is good :D

Hello in Spain

I am visiting my mother in Spain this coming summer. What is the terrain like (for cycling), roads, people vs bikes in the Alicante area? I have to bring my bike with me so I am hoping the airlines take good care of it otherwise I won't be a happy vacationer! I visited that area 5/6 years ago; but, I wasn't cycling then so I didn't really take much notice of those things - the sun and sand were calling me!! I know the temperatures are going to be fairly hot - I am used to warm climes with no humidity and high elevation.

Your English is excellent! (better than my Spanish which is non existent).

Originally posted by azurki
Hi! I´m from Basque Country and this is my first message in this forum. Please, sorry, my English is not very perfect.

This Wednesday the organization of Vuelta a España had displayed the route of 2004 edition.
The most important things are the following:
· There are 4 time trials: one team t.t. in the first stage (León-León); two flat individual t.t. (in Valencia and the last day in Madrid) and other individual time trial in Sierra Nevada (very hard, I think this stage is the most decisive).
· There are 4 (5 with Sierra Nevada time trial) finishes in the top of mountains: a classic stage in Navacerrada; in La Covatilla sky station (where Roberto Heras won in 2002); in Aitana (where Klaus Moller won in 2001); and the newness of this Vuelta: Calar Alto, a little know mountain in the South of Spain. The characteristics of this climb are: 22,8 kms.; 2148 metres of altitude and 1390 metres of unevennes (6,10%) with some steeps sections. It is a “Hors Category” climb, I think. In my opinion, this will be a great stage in the Vuelta. You can see the profile of Calar Alto, and some photos, a little map and other information in this site (in Spanish): http://www.altimetrias.com/aspbk/verPuerto.asp?id=388
· Also there are some stages with middle-mountains: Zaragoza-Morella; Benicarló-Castellón; perhaps El Ejido-Málaga, and overcoat two stages: Alcoy-Xorret del Catí, with a final climbing in a short but very steep mountain; and Málaga-Granada, with Alto del Purche in the last kilometres. Also the stage Béjar-Ávila is difficult.
· The other stages are flat, without mountains.
· In 2004, the Vuelta will not visit the North of Spain (with the Cantabric Mountains in Asturias, Cantabria, Galicia,…so they wont´t climb some mountains like Anglirú, Lagos de Covagonda, etc), neither Pyrenees. The route will visit the East (Valencia) and the South of Spain (Andalucía), and Madrid and sorroundings.

:) :) :)
Hello in Spain

I am visiting my mother in Spain this coming summer. What is the terrain like (for cycling), roads, people vs bikes in the Alicante area? I have to bring my bike with me so I am hoping the airlines take good care of it otherwise I won't be a happy vacationer! I visited that area 5/6 years ago; but, I wasn't cycling then so I didn't really take much notice of those things - the sun and sand were calling me!! I know the temperatures are going to be fairly hot - I am used to warm climes with no humidity and high elevation.

Your English is excellent! (better than my Spanish which is non existent).