Route planning and tracking app for iPhone?

Moto700

Jul 24, 2011
I'm trying to find an application for my iPhone 4 that will keep track of a predetermined route while in route. I know I am probably looking for more than one thing, an on-line site for route planning, downloaded maps and an app for the iPhone that will use the maps and routes to track my position along the route. I also understand that the effectiveness is going to be determined by cell reception. Does such a thing exist and does anyone have any suggestions? I've got BikeTracks already and it's find (also allows me to tag pictures) but it doesn't allow me to track my present position. Thanks for any help.

http://mapmyride.com is pretty good - the online reporting/route creation is fairly good, and the app is pretty slick. I especially like the "delay recording" feature that gives me time to stash the thing in the saddle bag before it starts ticking over.

Originally Posted by steve .

Runkeeper?
I've looked at this and it seems to be a good app for what it was designed to do. The problem with this app is that, as far as I can tell, you can't plan a route in advance. It only allows you to track your position. What I'm looking for is the ability to plan a route in advance and real-time tracking along the route.

Originally Posted by elithrar .

http://mapmyride.com is pretty good - the online reporting/route creation is fairly good, and the app is pretty slick. I especially like the "delay recording" feature that gives me time to stash the thing in the saddle bag before it starts ticking over.

I looked at this as well, joined the site, downloaded the app and even planned a simulated route. Did you know it's just a little over 2600 miles from Houston to Seattle? Did an excellent job planning the route and I liked the mileage indicators but again there appears to be no ability to track your current position in real-time.
I did find apps for Garmin and Tom Tom. Pricey but maybe worth it if allows me to 1) plan a route and 2) track my position along the route.

The Garmin app will work for your planning/tracking requirements, but won't give you any cycle specific data if that is important to you. The iPhone battery won't last very long in constant tracking mode. There are a couple of stem mount cases with additional battery power built in ... another $300-$700 add-on (iBike Dash). I downloaded the iBike app, but without the Dash unit couldn't confirm the ability to pre-define a route and follow it.

It sounded like a good idea at first, but the more I investigated and found limitations that I wasn't keen on - battery life, VZW data mode or phone mode, lack of route guidance, etc. - I decided to stick with my Garmin 705 for a comprehensive bike solution (guidance, metrics tracking, power tracking option, etc) and leave my phone in my pocket.

That was a few months ago - I didn't find a real-time routing solution then, but maybe one exists now. Sorry can't help.

Originally Posted by sitzmark .

The Garmin app will work for your planning/tracking requirements, but won't give you any cycle specific data if that is important to you. The iPhone battery won't last very long in constant tracking mode. There are a couple of stem mount cases with additional battery power built in ... another $300-$700 add-on (iBike Dash). I downloaded the iBike app, but without the Dash unit couldn't confirm the ability to pre-define a route and follow it.

It sounded like a good idea at first, but the more I investigated and found limitations that I wasn't keen on - battery life, VZW data mode or phone mode, lack of route guidance, etc. - I decided to stick with my Garmin 705 for a comprehensive bike solution (guidance, metrics tracking, power tracking option, etc) and leave my phone in my pocket.

That was a few months ago - I didn't find a real-time routing solution then, but maybe one exists now. Sorry can't help.
Thanks, it gives me something to consider. Battery life is going to be a problem anytime GPS (or any other app) is running in the background. I may possibly go to a sepereate device and leave my phone in my pocket as you suggest. Garmin 705, hmmmmm....

I use MotionX-GPS along with Google's "My maps" (which they've changed to "My places" now).

First, on my computer, I lay out my route at Google, and save to My maps. Then, for my biking, I bring up that map on the IPhone in the Maps app. Meanwhile, I also bring up the MotionX app, which has a number of map features, though not as user friendly as Google directly. It's not as smooth a system as one would like but best I could find so far...

Originally Posted by harpo44 .

I use MotionX-GPS along with Google's "My maps" (which they've changed to "My places" now).

First, on my computer, I lay out my route at Google, and save to My maps. Then, for my biking, I bring up that map on the IPhone in the Maps app. Meanwhile, I also bring up the MotionX app, which has a number of map features, though not as user friendly as Google directly. It's not as smooth a system as one would like but best I could find so far...
Thanks harpo. I was looking at this app previously and I downloaded it yesterday. I'll play around with it today between my laptop and iPhone. Just trying to save myself the expense of a Garmin if possible.

I'm not sure if it has GPS for the US but over here (UK) I got an app called Bike hub. Its like a TomTom but made for bikes. On it you can choose the type of route you want (such as 'quiet' for example) which is take you away from busy roads.

I am curious as to how effective the TomTom/Garmin ones are. The only thing that attracts me to them is that they are world renowned for their GPS quality.

Cyclemeter GPS 4.5 star rating based on thousands of reviews. The stop watch feature is accurate I have compared it to my Cat Eye Strada and the only value I find to not match is the max speed. Loads of features such as storing previous rides leader board results of racing against yourself ect... Every ride is mapped out by the gps and and you can save or discard as you please. Loads of information is stored you can view your ride in intervals and splits and refer back to maps and graphs to he how you are doing. Very easy to use. And of course you carry your bragging rights with you wherever you go. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

I was considering a Garmin and I tried this out for the heck of it and found it was everything I needed. 4.99 American dollars.

There is now Travel Stories Mobile. You can define a route, budget in multiple currencies and track your trip activities.