route planning software

texastough

Feb 12, 2010
Is there any software that will plan a route. I'm planning to do a charity ride this summer by myself. This is all new to me and I need to get going on the planning, training, etc. If there is no specific software that you know of, what is the best way to plan a route. Really appreciate your help since this is my first post and have no idea what to do. I'm open to any advice, thanks

Thanks for the link. I guess I should have said my ride will be from Texas to Illinois. So anything like this for the US. Thanks

texastough said:
Thanks for the link. I guess I should have said my ride will be from Texas to Illinois. So anything like this for the US. Thanks

zoom out and keep dragging across the map until you get to the usa

Alright that's cool I'll try it. I initially put in my zip code and it gave me an error message asking for a correct UK postal code. Thanks for your help.

So maybe what I'm trying to do is not possible. I was hoping that I could put in a starting point and ending and it would give me a recommended route much the same as using google maps for driving directions. Obviously I don't want to take major roads but I also don't want to take roads that are not more of a direct route. The distance for this ride would be just a little over one thousand miles so I'm almost positive that it has not been done before so I wouldn't find any route on line that someone had previously ridden.

Apparently I'm going to have to go through some major research on specific roads. I've driven it several times but there's no way I'm going to ride the interstate.

You might try other routing sites:

Bike Route Toaster

Sport Distance Calculator

Topo Route

Map My Ride

I kind of doubt that any of those will help, but I could be wrong.

Will you be using GPS or, specifically, a Garmin GPS? You might be able to do what you ask with Garmin mapping software on your computer. I can't say for sure.

Your next and maybe best option would be to search for routes others have done between cities along your projected route. This way, you could stitch together your ride in bits and pieces.

I wouldn't rule out that large sections of your ride have been done. I know, for instance, that multi day bike tours are done through the Smokey Mountains, and it's possible tour websites might provide said routes.

Wow, this is all great info and more than I asked for. Really appreciate it! I haven't set a date for this and I might be way crazy for even considering it. My desire is to raise money for our Youth for Christ ministry here in North Texas and thought this would make some folks wake up to the need and give. A lot of planning to do.

Hey texastough, I noticed you mentioned googlemaps... You should be able to use googlemaps 'get directions' function. Once open, just press the 'show options' link and check the boxes labelled 'avoid highways' and 'avoid tolls'.

I'm planning my own longdistance trip and I've been using this feature as a rough guidline for my route. I'd advise that you don't rely solely on googlemaps, at least doublecheck your route and make sure its do-able in the real world!

Hope this helps