Route Profiles

Drinky

Guest
Does anyone know of a route-planner that will provide a profile of the route showing the various
heights along the route?

Alternatively, a site that would provide the heights of a particular grid reference would suffice.

Dinky

> Does anyone know of a route-planner that will provide a profile of the route showing the various
> heights along the route?
>
> Alternatively, a site that would provide the heights of a particular grid reference would suffice.

Memory Map will do this with its 2003 map set. It costs a fair bit, 60 quid for a "region" or 160
for half the UK with 1:50,000 OS maps.

Colin

Thanks Colin - £60 is a bit rich for my blood but I'll check it out.

Mark

"Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone know of a route-planner that will provide a profile of the
route
> showing the various heights along the route?
>
> Alternatively, a site that would provide the heights of a particular grid reference would suffice.

Trackmaker appears to have the facility to show heights & profiles. Certainly it can show the
profile of a track that you have followed and recorded on a GPS.

It does not have a preloaded map but you can scan anything you like and put it in as an image. Maybe
you could also put in height data of critical bits by hand.

Best of all its free.

http://www.gpstm.com/

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a route-planner that will provide a profile of the route showing the various
> > heights along the route?
> >
> > Alternatively, a site that would provide the heights of a particular grid reference would
> > suffice.
>
> Memory Map will do this with its 2003 map set. It costs a fair bit, 60 quid for a "region" or 160
> for half the UK with 1:50,000 OS maps.

Or anquet maps program. Half the UK, seamless genuine landranger map for 120 quid. You draw a line
on the map, it gives you distance and elevation profiles and Naismith timings (using your own
parameters).

There's a demo on their web site. I've found it a bit quirky and too many actions require plodding
through menus - for example, I'd like to be able to engage waypoint mode and then go click - click -
click and put down several waypoibts rapidly, insteady you need to click to open the menu, click new
waypoint, click the map, click teh menu, click new waypoint, click the map. Anyway, eventually
decided 120 was too much for my anticipated level of use.

Note - it doesn't make up routes, you need to plan the route for yourself and join teh dots by
drawing along teh relevant roads if you want the distance/profile accurately.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

> On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Does anyone know of a route-planner that will provide a profile of the route showing the
> > > various heights along the route?
> > >
> > > Alternatively, a site that would provide the heights of a particular grid reference would
> > > suffice.
> >
> > Memory Map will do this with its 2003 map set. It costs a fair bit, 60 quid for a "region" or
> > 160 for half the UK with 1:50,000 OS maps.
>
> Or anquet maps program. Half the UK, seamless genuine landranger map for 120 quid. You draw a line
> on the map, it gives you distance and elevation profiles and Naismith timings (using your own
> parameters).
>
> There's a demo on their web site. I've found it a bit quirky and too many actions require plodding
> through menus - for example, I'd like to be able to engage waypoint mode and then go click - click
> - click and put down several waypoibts rapidly, insteady you need to click to open the menu, click
> new waypoint, click the map, click teh menu, click new waypoint, click the map.

This is one thing Memory Map does allow you to do. Waypoints can also be deleted and moved without
recourse to the menu bars.

Colin

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Colin Blackburn wrote:

>>On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

>>> Memory Map will do this with its 2003 map set. It costs a fair bit, 60 quid for a "region" or
>>> 160 for half the UK with 1:50,000 OS maps.
>>
>>Or anquet maps program. Half the UK, seamless genuine landranger map for 120 quid. You draw a line
>>on the map, it gives you distance and elevation profiles and Naismith timings (using your own
>>parameters).
>>
>>There's a demo on their web site. I've found it a bit quirky and too many actions require plodding
>>through menus - for example, I'd like to be able to engage waypoint mode and then go click - click
>>- click and put down several waypoibts rapidly, insteady you need to click to open the menu, click
>>new waypoint, click the map, click teh menu, click new waypoint, click the map.
>

> This is one thing Memory Map does allow you to do. Waypoints can also be deleted and moved without
> recourse to the menu bars.
>
> Colin

Fugawi also does this, its 50 quid for a region, UK split into 4 regions (OS Landranger maps). It
does profiles to.

It can be made to show you the height of a point on the map when you hover the mouse, but the
heights don't allways seem to match what the contour lines say - I don't know where they get their
elevation data from.

John