Route suggestions from Thirsk to Hebden Bridge

Edward Hibbert

Guest
I'm going on a long cycle ride (well, long for me), from Edinburgh to
Bolton. I have most of this mapped out, and one day ends in Thirsk (where I
have a friend). I then need to get from Thirsk to Bolton via Ramsbottom
(where I have an aunt and uncle).

I'm having trouble finding maps of recommended routes covering that area.
From an OS map I can find a route that goes via Hebden Bridge, where I'll
stay a night. But this is a bit random, so I was wondering if anyone has
suggestions for some or all of this route?

Ta.

Edward.

"Edward Hibbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm going on a long cycle ride (well, long for me), from Edinburgh to
> Bolton. I have most of this mapped out, and one day ends in Thirsk (where
> have a friend). I then need to get from Thirsk to Bolton via Ramsbottom
> (where I have an aunt and uncle).
>
> I'm having trouble finding maps of recommended routes covering that area.
> From an OS map I can find a route that goes via Hebden Bridge, where I'll
> stay a night. But this is a bit random, so I was wondering if anyone has
> suggestions for some or all of this route?
>
> Ta.
>
> Edward.

Thirsk, (Masham and Middlemoor)or(Ripon), Pately Bridge, Ilkley, Silsden,
Haworth, Hebden Bridge should be OK - avoids large towns, a bit hilly in
places though.

Let me know if you want a more detailed description.

Peter

Thanks for your reply.

That's pretty much the way I'd picked, except I'd gone from Ripon to Ilkley
via Birstwith and Blubberhouses. Is Pately Bridge nicer? A slightly more
detailed description would be good, then I can plot it on this fancy Memory
Map stuff I'm getting to grips with.

What about from Hebden Bridge on to Ramsbottom? At the moment I'm planning
west to near Burnley, then down to Rawtenstall.

Edward.

"Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Edward Hibbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I'm going on a long cycle ride (well, long for me), from Edinburgh to
>> Bolton. I have most of this mapped out, and one day ends in Thirsk
>> (where I
>> have a friend). I then need to get from Thirsk to Bolton via Ramsbottom
>> (where I have an aunt and uncle).
>>
>> I'm having trouble finding maps of recommended routes covering that area.
>> From an OS map I can find a route that goes via Hebden Bridge, where I'll
>> stay a night. But this is a bit random, so I was wondering if anyone has
>> suggestions for some or all of this route?
>>
>> Ta.
>>
>> Edward.
>>

> Thirsk, (Masham and Middlemoor)or(Ripon), Pately Bridge, Ilkley, Silsden,
> Haworth, Hebden Bridge should be OK - avoids large towns, a bit hilly in
> places though.
>
> Let me know if you want a more detailed description.
>
> Peter

"Edward Hibbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> That's pretty much the way I'd picked, except I'd gone from Ripon to
> Ilkley
> via Birstwith and Blubberhouses. Is Pately Bridge nicer?

Much of a muchness, really - your chosen route is a bit more direct!
Ripon Masham Middlemoor Pately Bridge is very good - but quite a chunky hill
from Masham up and down to Middlesmoor. Pately Bridge is in a valley - so
any where out of there is up!.
Ripon Birstwith Blubberhouses is good - mostly lanes via Fountains Abbey.
Then up Blubberhouses Moor. From top oof moor R towards Askwith an R to
Ilkley.
There's a good quality bridleway (suits all bikes) from Ilkley up and over
to West Morton, then R to Silsden.
Sildsen to Hawarth - various options - the West Yorkshire cycleway runs some
of that way.
Then minor roads to Hebden.
Good luck with it all!

> What about from Hebden Bridge on to Ramsbottom? At the moment I'm
> planning
> west to near Burnley, then down to Rawtenstall.

I've been W of Hebden along the long causeway - another good road, after
that I don't really know...

Peter

Thanks, that route looks good, and good to know that the bridleway is
passable from Ilkley. That was what I was hoping for, really, knowledge of
that kind of thing which I can't get from an OS map.

I make that about 70 miles, not all of them as flat as a pancake.. A fun
day, that'll be. And I'm not sure they'll let me into Betty's in cycling
gear...

In message <X%[email protected]>, Peter
<[email protected]> writes

>"Edward Hibbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:p[email protected]...
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>> That's pretty much the way I'd picked, except I'd gone from Ripon to
>> Ilkley
>> via Birstwith and Blubberhouses. Is Pately Bridge nicer?

Pateley Bridge is very nice, as is its associated valley. A very nice
contrast to the more "industrial" valleys further on. Also an excellent
place to replenish supplies, plenty of small shops & pubs.

>Much of a muchness, really - your chosen route is a bit more direct!
>Ripon Masham Middlemoor Pately Bridge is very good - but quite a chunky hill
>from Masham up and down to Middlesmoor. Pately Bridge is in a valley - so
>any where out of there is up!.

Note the route is Masham - Lofthouse - Pateley. Middlesmoor is a
dead-end hamlet at the top of a nasty little 1:4 climb. (Not actually
totally dead-end, an excellent MTB route continues over the moor).

Continuing from Pateley, if you like a good climb, then turn west up
Greenhow Hill. Otherwise I'd suggest Summerbridge, Dacre, past Menwith
Hill, on towards Ilkey.

--
steve

Dave wrote:

> Ilkley via Addingham to Silsden - but then again if you are going from
> Pately Bridge via Blubberhouses then that would go via Bolton Abbey to
> Addingham.

That's what I'd do. Nice tea shop in Bolton Abbey as well.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dave wrote:
>
>> Ilkley via Addingham to Silsden - but then again if you are going from
>> Pately Bridge via Blubberhouses then that would go via Bolton Abbey to
>> Addingham.

> That's what I'd do. Nice tea shop in Bolton Abbey as well.

But Blubberhouses to Bolton Abbey is on the A59 (a bit busy compared to
Timble, Askwith, Ilkley).

Ilkley, Addingham Silsden is OK via Nusge Hill, but not on the A65/A6034
(again, a bit busy).

The bridlepath is good, but I guess after that you could go Riddlesden and
Keighley.

If youo go to Silsden I wouldn't go in to Keighley, but go Steeton, Steeton
Moor, Goose Eye (now there's a fine name), and sort of due South to Haworth.

Peter

ps - Bettys have let me in clad in lycra. Have a fat rascal.

"Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> But Blubberhouses to Bolton Abbey is on the A59 (a bit busy compared to
> Timble, Askwith, Ilkley).

If you arrive at the top from the little roads, the descent down the A59
isn't too bad. But climbing up the A59 from the Harrogate side is a terrible
idea.

cheers,
clive

Thanks for all the suggestions here. I'm trying to stay off the main roads
as much as possible, and I think this lot gives me something to work with.

In message <[email protected]>, Clive
George <[email protected]> writes
>"Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>> But Blubberhouses to Bolton Abbey is on the A59 (a bit busy compared
>>to Timble, Askwith, Ilkley).

>If you arrive at the top from the little roads, the descent down the
>A59 isn't too bad. But climbing up the A59 from the Harrogate side is a
>terrible idea.
>
>cheers,
>clive

Agreed, cycling up the Kex Gill side isn't to be recommended. A twisty
road with poor sight lines and _lots_ of HGV traffic. One of the few
roads I wouldn't even consider using.

However, from Pateley, turn left through Bewerly, then up onto the
moors, heading WSW to cross Thruscross Reservoir dam. A minor lane (with
optional extra BW) will pop you out on the summit of the A59. Easy, fast
run to Bolton Abbey, Addingham (nice valley), Silsden etc.
--
steve