Route to San Diego

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Joel Ward, May 13, 2003.

  1. Joel Ward

    Joel Ward Guest

    Hey, planning an LA to San Diego ride in the next month. Can anyone tell me if there are extra steps
    necessary for the ride through Camp Pendleton these days (haven't ridden this route in a couple
    years)? Is it even open or do I need to travel the *gasp* freeway?

    Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. > Can anyone tell me if there are extra steps necessary for the ride through Camp Pendleton these
    > days (haven't ridden this route in a couple years)? Is it even open or do I need to travel the
    > *gasp* freeway?

    I saw a recent tour report (http://www.cushwafamily.com/la2jax) that on March 4th, Dave and Will
    Cushwa cycled on I-5 because of Camp Pendleton being closed. Will is a 3th grader and Dave is his
    father. They recently finished riding the southern tier of US on a tandem and have posted their trip
    log on web site above.

    --mev, Mike Vermeulen

  3. Shinji

    Shinji Guest

    Thanks for the info -

    How's the ride? Any particular challenges? I've driven it but never noticed how wide it is - has
    anyone had troubles of any kind? I assume there aren't many hills to speak of...

    "Carl Ebert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BAE819FE.1619%[email protected]...
    > On 5/13/03 8:46 PM, in article [email protected], "Joel Ward
    adelphia.net>"
    > <[email protected]<spamblows> wrote:
    >
    > > Hey, planning an LA to San Diego ride in the next month. Can anyone tell
    me
    > > if there are extra steps necessary for the ride through Camp Pendleton
    these
    > > days (haven't ridden this route in a couple years)? Is it even open or
    do I
    > > need to travel the *gasp* freeway?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >

    > You will need to travel the freeway from the Los Pulgus Gate to Oceanside.
    >
    > Carl
    > Thou shalt use thine scraps to make quilts for charity, so that those
    less
    > fortunate may know they joy of sleeping beneath a quilt.

  4. Shinji

    Shinji Guest

    Never mind - just realized it's only about an 8 mile stretch - thought it was a lot longer for
    some reason...

    news:[email protected]...