Routes for relaxed biking in Spain

Where can I find out about good areas and routes for relaxed cycling in
Spain? I'm interested in one day loops or several day rambles,
specifically in Catalonia and Cantabria, rather than long-distance
treks. Are there any decent guidebooks in English (or in Spanish if
not)?
Thanks.

> Where can I find out about good areas and routes for relaxed cycling in
> Spain? I'm interested in one day loops or several day rambles,
> specifically in Catalonia and Cantabria, rather than long-distance
> treks. Are there any decent guidebooks in English (or in Spanish if
> not)?

http://www.ffe.es/viasverdes/programme.htm

I've never been - but I've liked the idea of these converted railways
taking the easy gradients.

Tim

Tim Henderson wrote:

> http://www.ffe.es/viasverdes/programme.htm
>
> I've never been - but I've liked the idea of these converted railways
> taking the easy gradients.

There are a couple of these near here, very nicely done. Have never
taken the bikes but we have walked a few sections. They would be easy
but it would depend on the terrain, they wouldn't be very interesting if
you spent most of the day in a cutting :) But they are quiet and safe,
not too busy, very peaceful except where they run alongside a road.

There is another old railway track near here which has been closed down
and left in place, and four person pedal driven vehicles are available
for hire. The problem is that everyone has to go the same way up the
track so everyone has to wait at one end for the last 'bike' to arrive
and then turn round and go back again. It's a really nice idea but the
practicalities of it mean that people are pressured and rushed (well, my
sister was!). Good for families though, seems to be popular.

--
Holly, in France.
Holiday Home in Dordogne

> Where can I find out about good areas and routes for relaxed cycling

in
> Spain? I'm interested in one day loops or several day rambles,
> specifically in Catalonia and Cantabria, rather than long-distance

http://www.lescala.org/angles/informacio/dades.html

I went to l'escala area last year, stayed in a villa at Viladamat and
hired a bike from town on which I cycled all over the coastal plain and
hills inland .The roads are nice and quiet if yuo avoid the main routes
and there is a network of caminos which are unsurfaced and more fun on
hybrid or mtb.In fact I spent almost all my time on the caminos.
Good maps are bought at the information centres on arrival.

There is a converted railway route, from Tossa area up to the foothills
of the pyrennees, which I have not seen.

There are campsites all along the coast north of l'escala which look
nice , mainly dutch etc..

You don't really need a guide, just maps from the info shop and a big
bottle of water and a sandwich.The info ladies are very helpful.
If you want to know more detail please ask
You might prefer to stay near the airport at girona so you don't need a
car, or to investigate a bus transfer to your accomodation near the
bike shops.

TerryJ

> Where can I find out about good areas and routes for relaxed cycling in
> Spain? I'm interested in one day loops or several day rambles,
> specifically in Catalonia and Cantabria, rather than long-distance
> treks. Are there any decent guidebooks in English (or in Spanish if
> not)?
> Thanks.

I'm off to Cantabria/Asturias in May for a few days and have been
trying to find cycling information myself. Quite a lot on the Web,
e.g.
www.amigosdelciclismo.com/rutas/cantabria/ but I haven't so far found
any guidebooks. Best maps I can get are the Spanish IGN 1:200000. OK
but I'd prefer 1:100000 or 1:50000.

I last went there in 1982, walking, and always wanted to go back
cycling - it's only taken me 23 years. It's a beautiful area.

Andy

> www.amigosdelciclismo.com/rutas/cantabria/ but I haven't so far found
> any guidebooks. Best maps I can get are the Spanish IGN 1:200000. OK
> but I'd prefer 1:100000 or 1:50000.

At the tourist info offices at l'escala they had a variety of good
maps down to 1:25000.It might be possible to get similar maps where
you are going .The info office for viveiro is not answering at the
moment so I think it might be shut till later.I am going to see if I
can persuade them to post me some before I go.
Bicycle shops often have some maps and can be phoned after finding
them on the web or by asking the info office.
I can tell you the details of shops in l'escala and Javea if you want.
TerryJ