Routine Maintenance

new2bikes

Banned
Feb 6, 2005
Would like some advice about what I should be doing after each ride. Just wipe down the bike with a dry cloth? WD-40? Which parts of the bike do I need to wipe down? Is there anything else I should be doing? Thanks.

new2bikes said:
Would like some advice about what I should be doing after each ride. Just wipe down the bike with a dry cloth? WD-40? Which parts of the bike do I need to wipe down? Is there anything else I should be doing? Thanks.
Don't use WD-40, it actually attracts more dirt and grime making things worse your next time out. What I use if I want to protect my frame and to aid cleaning is Ace Pure Silicon spray (spray it on a cloth then wipe the frame).

After every ride:
Depending on what kind of riding you are doing will depend on what you need to do. On my road bike I just wipe off any dirt and re-apply silicon, after several rides I do a more through cleaning. On my mountain bike, if I just ran errands I'd do the same as with the road bike, just clean off any dirt and re-apply silicon if needed. If I took it off road it will get a more through cleaning.

Through cleaning:
I installed quick links to my chain so it's easy to remove and drop in a container with orange cleaner, of course then you have to lube it after it's back on the bike. To clean the rear cassette I just fold a paper towel up a few times and slide it between the rings then spin the cranks, repeating for each ring. Having gotten my mountain bike super muddy several times the key is let the mud dry 1st then get as much off before going after it with water.

FYI...I'm a bit anal about my gear since I come from a more high risk sports background. A lot of people don't do anything after every ride.

Thanks very much. Is the silicone spray good for any bike material? Can you / should you use it on all parts of the bike?

i get my bike coverd in mud EVERY time i ride...hints my name...so i dont clean my bike to much....usually just hose it down...but i found that keeping all the dirt and **** in there makes your bike perform worse...so i usually do what the bike shop does...take a shop rag and clean in batween each gear and all the important stuff then take some chain lube and dab it on my chain, then clean the chain and repeat....then i take a screw driver and jab it in all the little stuff to poke the dirt out...like deralliuers and stuff...and thats it...other wize once a month i clean it down with some joy dish washing soap by hand and thats it...*but going to your bike shop and asking wat to do after each ride is good*

~Scott

new2bikes said:
Thanks very much. Is the silicone spray good for any bike material? Can you / should you use it on all parts of the bike?
I use it on everything metal except the rim where the break pads rub and the chain. I'd spray it on a rag then wipe down what you want to protect, spraying it could put it places you don't want it to go. :)