Routing Campag Gear Cables

DaveN

Mar 1, 2004
Hi

I am trying to route some new Campag gear cables, the problem I'm having is judging the length from the bars to the cable stop on the frame. If I leave the cable too long the cable is rubbing the frame seeing as the cable drops from the left side if the bars trying to get down the left side of the frame.

If I cut the cable too short (getting it wrong and needing a new set) the cable is pulled when the bars are turned.

If the left lever controlled the RD and the right the FD I dont think it would be a problem but seeing as the levers are indexed differently that a no-no.

An hints, tips or faqs on this topic.

Dave N

I saw once that this guy let the cable from the right lever go to the left hand cable stop at the head tube and the left lever to the right hand side of the head tube. He then let the bare cable cross going down the down tube and then change into the correct grooves in the cable guide on the bottom bracket shell. He did this on a Giant composite frame.

I hope this makes sence and helps.

Originally posted by Mampara
I saw once that this guy let the cable from the right lever go to the left hand cable stop at the head tube and the left lever to the right hand side of the head tube. He then let the bare cable cross going down the down tube and then change into the correct grooves in the cable guide on the bottom bracket shell. He did this on a Giant composite frame.

I get you point but I have a Colnago Dream Plus and the cables run along close to the down tube.

Dave N

Originally posted by Mampara

The bike shop that gave me my bike put the cables on like that (giant composite/chorus), 6 months later there still isn't a mark on the frame near the cables.

cheers

Originally posted by steve
The bike shop that gave me my bike put the cables on like that (giant composite/chorus), 6 months later there still isn't a mark on the frame near the cables.

cheers

Steve

I had heard of some Colnago owners complaining the the cables rubbed the paint. Maybe I'm just being paranoid after spending the money. I may just put the cables on and give it a go.

Dave N

Originally posted by DaveN
Steve

I had heard of some Colnago owners complaining the the cables rubbed the paint. Maybe I'm just being paranoid after spending the money. I may just put the cables on and give it a go.

Dave N
Stick some clear tape on the frame where it rubs. The crossed cable business works on some frames,not on others,depending on several variables.

I have tried a few different way, including crossing the wires on the downtube. The rubbing wires just rub me the wrong way though.

Usually the gear cables exit the tape, do a slight loop in front of the stem, and are then brought back to the downtube stops.

You can run the cables through either of 2 slots in the ergo shifters, bringing the cable out the back of the bars by itself, or the front of the bars along with the brakes. If you run them along with the brakes it makes for a slightly cleaner, more symmetrical look as the cables loop in front of the stem, and I have seen people who carefully looped out the cables, making them the same length, etc. so they would look really neat-o if that's the kind of thing that floats your boat.

I just put 3M clear tape tabs where the cables might rub, although my bike was pretty well protected in that area from the start. You can usually buy a sheet from your LBS.

I'll try a pic.

Whitney

Thanks for the pic, your set up is what I am dealing with. In your setup is there enough length in the cable between the end of the tape and the connector on the down tube to allow your bars to turn without causing false shifting.

I know while riding riders dont turn the bars completely but when in a tight space like a car park I done want false shifting.

I am going to route the cables over the weekend and stop being so picky

Dave N

Hey,

Absolutely. Mine is set up to that there is just enough slack to turn the bars all the way to either side without pulling the cable housing out of the stop.

The first time I wrapped the bars, I did take the tape just a little too far, but I just cut it off an backed up 1/2 an inch and everything is fine.

Good Luck!

Whit

Originally posted by boudreaux
Stick some clear tape on the frame where it rubs. The crossed cable business works on some frames,not on others,depending on several variables.

Yeah. A couple of strips of clear sellotape will do the job.