Routing of STI cables

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Andy Bauer, Oct 26, 2003.

  1. Andy Bauer

    Andy Bauer Guest

    New to these Brifter deals. I saw Lemond cycles have the shift cables routed with the brake cables
    under the bar tape. Most other bikes I've seen have the shift cables out side. Any advantages / dis
    advantages to either? Thanks

    -Andy

    Tags:

  2. Quoth Andy Bauer:

    > New to these Brifter deals. I saw Lemond cycles have the shift cables routed with the brake cables
    > under the bar tape. Most other bikes I've seen have the shift cables out side. Any advantages /
    > dis advantages to either?

    All modern brake levers for drop bars run the _brake_ cables under the tape. This coincides with a
    general improvement in brake lever design, part of a whole constellation of things that give modern
    bikes much better braking than older ones.

    The exposed cables you saw were the _shift_ cables. This is a brand-specific issue:

    Shimano brifters, also known as "STIs" have the exposed shift cables coming out of the inside front
    of the brifters.

    Campanolo brifters, also known as "Ergos" have both shifter and brake cables running under the tape.
    Sometimes the shift cables run along the front of the bars, next to the tape, other times they run
    along the back edge of the bars.

    Sheldon "Shimagnolo" Brown +--------------------------------------------------------------+
    | I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. | -- Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM,
    | 1943 |
    +--------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  3. Andy Bauer

    Andy Bauer Guest

    Thanks. That makes sense because the Lemond ones I saw were Campy. Appreciate the help.

    -Andy

    > Quoth Andy Bauer:
    >
    > > New to these Brifter deals. I saw Lemond cycles have the shift cables routed with the brake
    > > cables under the bar tape. Most other bikes I've
    seen
    > > have the shift cables out side. Any advantages / dis advantages to
    either?

    > All modern brake levers for drop bars run the _brake_ cables under the tape. This coincides with a
    > general improvement in brake lever design, part of a whole constellation of things that give
    > modern bikes much better braking than older ones.
    >
    > The exposed cables you saw were the _shift_ cables. This is a brand-specific issue:
    >
    > Shimano brifters, also known as "STIs" have the exposed shift cables coming out of the inside
    > front of the brifters.
    >
    > Campanolo brifters, also known as "Ergos" have both shifter and brake cables running under the
    > tape. Sometimes the shift cables run along the front of the bars, next to the tape, other times
    > they run along the back edge of the bars.
    >
    > Sheldon "Shimagnolo" Brown +--------------------------------------------------------------+
    > | I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. | -- Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM,
    > | 1943 |
    > +--------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,
    > Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts
    > shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  4. O. Simonsen

    O. Simonsen Guest

    > > New to these Brifter deals. I saw Lemond cycles have the shift cables routed with the brake
    > > cables under the bar tape. Most other bikes I've seen have the shift cables out side. Any
    > > advantages / dis advantages to either?
    >
    > All modern brake levers for drop bars run the _brake_ cables under the tape. This coincides with a
    > general improvement in brake lever design, part of a whole constellation of things that give
    > modern bikes much better braking than older ones.
    >
    > The exposed cables you saw were the _shift_ cables. This is a brand-specific issue:
    >
    > Shimano brifters, also known as "STIs" have the exposed shift cables coming out of the inside
    > front of the brifters.

    Unless useing Nokon. They make a brake/shifter cableset where the shiftercables make a small loop
    and goes back under the bar tape.

    Regards Ove Simonsen