Roval Wheels

big Pete

Guest
Hi all,

I have a chance to get some Roval aero wheels. I did some research on
the net about them. People say they were ahead of there time and a good
wheel set, but I need to know if they would be good for me a 245 pound
rider. I want to use them as my wheels (i.e. these would be the wheels
on my bike for both training and racing). My bike is an 1986 - 1987
Bianchi Strada lx 60cm frame with sun tour components. I do triathlons
and go on longer (80 - 100 km) rides with a group on weekends.

Thank you very much for your help

Pete

--

big Pete wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a chance to get some Roval aero wheels. I did some research on
> the net about them. People say they were ahead of there time and a good
> wheel set, but I need to know if they would be good for me a 245 pound
> rider. I want to use them as my wheels (i.e. these would be the wheels
> on my bike for both training and racing). My bike is an 1986 - 1987
> Bianchi Strada lx 60cm frame with sun tour components. I do triathlons
> and go on longer (80 - 100 km) rides with a group on weekends.
> Thank you very much for your help
> Pete

You would be better off with standard 32 spoke (maybe 36 for rear) with
either Shimano or Campy hubs. DT revolution spokes 3X up front and on
left rear; DT Competition 14/15 right rear. 3 cross throughout.
Reliability, lateral support, and good value. DT Competition 14/15 up
front and left rear would make a slightly stiffer wheel, and certainly
no less durable. Many wheels like Roval are difficult to service due to
parts avaialbility over time.

--

"daveornee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:lOiAc.48323$R%[email protected]...
> big Pete wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I have a chance to get some Roval aero wheels. I did some research on
> > the net about them. People say they were ahead of there time and a

good
> > wheel set, but I need to know if they would be good for me a 245 pound
> > rider. I want to use them as my wheels (i.e. these would be the wheels
> > on my bike for both training and racing). My bike is an 1986 - 1987
> > Bianchi Strada lx 60cm frame with sun tour components. I do triathlons
> > and go on longer (80 - 100 km) rides with a group on weekends.
> > Thank you very much for your help
> > Pete

> You would be better off with standard 32 spoke (maybe 36 for rear) with
> either Shimano or Campy hubs. DT revolution spokes 3X up front and on
> left rear; DT Competition 14/15 right rear. 3 cross throughout.
> Reliability, lateral support, and good value. DT Competition 14/15 up
> front and left rear would make a slightly stiffer wheel, and certainly
> no less durable. Many wheels like Roval are difficult to service due to
> parts avaialbility over time.

Ditto on this one - I had a set of Rovals back in the 80's, and they were
indeed nice wheels and well ahead of their time. But they're not really
intended as daily beaters and if you break a spoke or bend a rim, they're
pretty much toast. At 245lbs, I'd say that's a certainty. Try to find some
of the hammerhead spokes they use and then decide if you want Rovals for
your everyday wheels... ;-)

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:45:39 GMT, big Pete
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have a chance to get some Roval aero wheels. I did some research on
>the net about them. People say they were ahead of there time and a good
>wheel set, but I need to know if they would be good for me a 245 pound
>rider. I want to use them as my wheels (i.e. these would be the wheels
>on my bike for both training and racing). My bike is an 1986 - 1987
>Bianchi Strada lx 60cm frame with sun tour components. I do triathlons
>and go on longer (80 - 100 km) rides with a group on weekends.

As the "proud" owner of a Roval I suggest steering clear of them. Just
try to find a replacement spoke. :-(

big Pete <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I have a chance to get some Roval aero wheels. I did some research on
> the net about them. People say they were ahead of there time and a good
> wheel set, but I need to know if they would be good for me a 245 pound
> rider. I want to use them as my wheels (i.e. these would be the wheels
> on my bike for both training and racing). My bike is an 1986 - 1987
> Bianchi Strada lx 60cm frame with sun tour components. I do triathlons
> and go on longer (80 - 100 km) rides with a group on weekends.

I bought a set of Rovals in the 80's.

How many spokes do the ones you are looking at have? My set had 30
spokes rear, 24 spokes front. Mine seemed to hold up fairly well for
me. My weight when I purchased mine was about 175 but I continued to
ride them years after that when I gained quite a bit of weight.

I never had any problems with them going out of true even after crashes.
The walls of the rims seemed very thin; I dented them a few times but I
always managed to make them rideable again by putting a board over the
rim and hammering it out.

I still have the Rovals in my attic though they are pretty beat up now.
I haven't glued a tire on them in years. I offered to sell them to
cyclists inquiring about Roval parts but nobody made me an offer.

If the wheels you are looking at have 30R/24F spokes I think they'll
hold up fine if you put plump tires on them and avoid obsticles.
Most of my rim dents came from riding in a group when nobody
pointed out a pothole.

Whatever you decide, good luck!
--
Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company