Rove threatens Judiciary Repubs, fears impeachment

Wurm

Aug 6, 2004

Rove counting heads on the Senate Judiciary Committee

The White House has been twisting arms to ensure that no Republican member votes against President Bush in the Senate Judiciary Committee's investigation of the administration's unauthorized wiretapping.

Congressional sources said Deputy Chief of Staff Karl Rove has threatened to blacklist any Republican who votes against the president. The sources said the blacklist would mean a halt in any White House political or financial support of senators running for re-election in November.

"It's hardball all the way," a senior GOP congressional aide said.

The sources said the administration has been alarmed over the damage that could result from the Senate hearings, which began on Monday, Feb. 6. They said the defection of even a handful of Republican committee members could result in a determination that the president violated the 1978 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. Such a determination could lead to impeachment proceedings.

Over the last few weeks, Mr. Rove has been calling in virtually every Republican on the Senate committee as well as the leadership in Congress. The sources said Mr. Rove's message has been that a vote against Mr. Bush would destroy GOP prospects in congressional elections.

"He's [Rove] lining them up one by one," another congressional source said.

Mr. Rove is leading the White House campaign to help the GOP in November's congressional elections. The sources said the White House has offered to help loyalists with money and free publicity, such as appearances and photo-ops with the president.

Those deemed disloyal to Mr. Rove would appear on his blacklist. The sources said dozens of GOP members in the House and Senate are on that list.

So far, only a handful of GOP senators have questioned Mr. Rove's tactics.

Some have raised doubts about Mr. Rove's strategy of painting the Democrats, who have opposed unwarranted surveillance, as being dismissive of the threat posed by al Qaeda terrorists.

"Well, I didn't like what Mr. Rove said, because it frames terrorism and the issue of terrorism and everything that goes with it, whether it's the renewal of the Patriot Act or the NSA wiretapping, in a political context," said Sen. Chuck Hagel, Nebraska Republican.

http://www.insightmag.com/Media/MediaManager/Rove2.htm

Wurm said:

Rove counting heads on the Senate Judiciary Committee

The White House has been twisting arms to ensure that no Republican member votes against President Bush in the Senate Judiciary Committee's investigation of the administration's unauthorized wiretapping.

Congressional sources said Deputy Chief of Staff Karl Rove has threatened to blacklist any Republican who votes against the president. The sources said the blacklist would mean a halt in any White House political or financial support of senators running for re-election in November.

"It's hardball all the way," a senior GOP congressional aide said.

The sources said the administration has been alarmed over the damage that could result from the Senate hearings, which began on Monday, Feb. 6. They said the defection of even a handful of Republican committee members could result in a determination that the president violated the 1978 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. Such a determination could lead to impeachment proceedings.

Over the last few weeks, Mr. Rove has been calling in virtually every Republican on the Senate committee as well as the leadership in Congress. The sources said Mr. Rove's message has been that a vote against Mr. Bush would destroy GOP prospects in congressional elections.

"He's [Rove] lining them up one by one," another congressional source said.

Mr. Rove is leading the White House campaign to help the GOP in November's congressional elections. The sources said the White House has offered to help loyalists with money and free publicity, such as appearances and photo-ops with the president.

Those deemed disloyal to Mr. Rove would appear on his blacklist. The sources said dozens of GOP members in the House and Senate are on that list.

So far, only a handful of GOP senators have questioned Mr. Rove's tactics.

Some have raised doubts about Mr. Rove's strategy of painting the Democrats, who have opposed unwarranted surveillance, as being dismissive of the threat posed by al Qaeda terrorists.

"Well, I didn't like what Mr. Rove said, because it frames terrorism and the issue of terrorism and everything that goes with it, whether it's the renewal of the Patriot Act or the NSA wiretapping, in a political context," said Sen. Chuck Hagel, Nebraska Republican.

http://www.insightmag.com/Media/MediaManager/Rove2.htm
Which begs the question-"Should he (Dubya') resign instead and spare the country the embarrassment or drag the country through avoidable Congressional proceedings the end result being Bush having to pay large civil penalties & tarnish the offiice of the Presidency, he can be brought to court after impeachment for the penalties part. I just wish he would have the dignity and decorum to resign & take **** w/ him.

i wholeheartedly concur, if the measure of a man is responsibility for his own actions, and accountabilty for the consequences of those same actions, then who here can say with conviction bush measures up to the standards of integrity expected of the office he holds?

and please, anyone who would be lame enuff to consider tired comparison to clinton's doings in office as being valid in this here and now, spare us now or risk, at best, losing all credibilty...

davidmc said:
Which begs the question-"Should he (Dubya') resign instead and spare the country the embarrassment or drag the country through avoidable Congressional proceedings the end result being Bush having to pay large civil penalties & tarnish the offiice of the Presidency, he can be brought to court after impeachment for the penalties part. I just wish he would have the dignity and decorum to resign & take **** w/ him.

Hypnospin said:
i wholeheartedly concur, if the measure of a man is responsibility for his own actions, and accountabilty for the consequences of those same actions, then who here can say with conviction bush measures up to the standards of integrity expected of the office he holds?

and please, anyone who would be lame enuff to consider tired comparison to clinton's doings in office as being valid in this here and now, spare us now or risk, at best, losing all credibilty...
Agreed, it takes a man to admit his mistakes & yes, the Clinton matter (extramarital affair) pales in comparison to Bush's trampling of the Constitution :mad:

yeah, those were the "doings" i meant, should have been more specific, as i do not mean to imply i was in agreement with all clinton policies and actions, far from it.

-remember the primary bush campaign promise, appealing to the high moraled middle america vote, no nookie in the oval office.

this perhaps, is the one he kept, but i don't wanna think about, don't wanna know...

davidmc said:
Agreed, it takes a man to admit his mistakes & yes, the Clinton matter (extramarital affair) pales in comparison to Bush's trampling of the Constitution :mad:

I am fully convinced that these depraved thugs will in no way admit to their treason, malfeasance, and larceny - ever. They've stuck to their lies throughout; meanwhile, we're still finding out - with the recent revelations of domestic spying - that they're limited only by their criminal imaginations.

It's anyone's guess as to what other crimes they've committed since Nov. 2000.

The truly abominable thing is that they're gotten away with so much thus far.

Wurm said:
I am fully convinced that these depraved thugs will in no way admit to their treason, malfeasance, and larceny - ever. They've stuck to their lies throughout; meanwhile, we're still finding out - with the recent revelations of domestic spying - that they're limited only by their criminal imaginations.

It's anyone's guess as to what other crimes they've committed since Nov. 2000.

The truly abominable thing is that they're gotten away with so much thus far.

The point is : They have what they want, power, they really don't give a toss about truth/justice etc. They won't give a toss until they feel that their power is threatened in some way. Their response will most likely be swift, unprincipled and terminal. From where I'm standing the only way they will be stopped is with a bullet between the eyes.

This is'nt a company where one can "cook the books" & leave once it falls. Although many of the Rethugs are wealthy enough so that they could just immigrate to other countries once this one is destroyed due to thier (self) enrichment programs & utter contempt for the institutions which they occupy :)

darkboong said:
...They won't give a toss until they feel that their power is threatened in some way. Their response will most likely be swift, unprincipled and terminal...
...as Sen. Paul Wellstone found out from being killed in the plane crash, and Sens. Daschle and Leahy were shown with the anthrax letters.

Wellstone

Beyond The Law

On November 9th, Attorney General Ashcroft announced that he was ordering the Justice Department to begin wiretapping and monitoring attorney-client communications in terrorist cases where the suspect was incarcerated. This was not even discussed in HR 3162. That same day Senator Patrick Leahy (D), Vermont wrote to Ashcroft. He had many questions to ask about what the Justice Department had been doing by violating the trust of Congress and assuming powers which were not authorized by either law or the Constitution. Leahy even quoted a Supreme Court case (U.S. v. Robel):

"[T]his concept of "national defense" cannot be deemed an end in itself, justifying any exercise of… power designed to promote such a goal. Implicit in the term ‘national defense’ is the notion that defending those values and ideas which set this Nation apart… It would indeed be ironic if, in the name of national defense, we would sanction the subversion of one of those liberties… which makes the defense of the Nation worthwhile."

Leahy asked Ashcroft by what authority had he decided - on his own and without judicial review - to nullify the Fifth Amendment to the Constitution. He asked for an explanation and some description of the procedural safeguards that Ashcroft would put in place. He asked Ashcroft to appear before the Judiciary committee and to respond in writing by November 13.

His answer came a little late.

On November 16, Patrick Leahy received an anthrax letter. And, as of this press time, Ashcroft has not responded in writing.​
Letter

Indeed, a bullet to the head is too good for the BushCo mutants. I've always said they deserve what a very similar fascist - Mussolini - got for his coda: strung up by their feet in the town square by average citizens, where they would receive their proper sentences.

there have always been those who, prior to any significant development and advancement of humanitarian, finacial, and social justice in the us, held to the belief those things
(such as)

revolution
independence
end of slavery
suffrage
unionism
social security
end of mccarthyism
end of segregation
civil rights
miranda rights
conscientious objector status
protesters marching in the streets
outta vietnam
nixon resignation
womens liberation
acceptance of gays in certain churches
certain "victimless crimes" decriminalized
equal oppurtunity employment
worker's compensation
end of bogus cold war obsession
dawn of non proliferation treaties
occupational safety and health legislation
dawn of human rights movement, pres carter
states eliminating death penalty
no fault auto insurance
ollie north and company flame out
womens' right to choose
seperation of church and state in public schools
employment family leave act passed
enviromentalists halting ecologicaly damaging developments
fines to corporations violating pollution regulations
national deficit eliminated
a president visits native american reservation
lowered unemployment and welfare simultaneously
stock market exceeding previous records without crashing
presidential effort to develop national health care
record land aquisitions for national park system
tobacco and fast food companies sued successfuly
states rights asserted
gay marriage recognized
present administration members flee to avoid complications of accountability

"ain't gonna happen"
in each case there were those who would state:
ain't gonna happen

just goes to show, even in the face of progress,
there will always be naysayers.

wolfix said:
It ain't gonna happen.......

wolfix said:
It ain't gonna happen.......
Guess we'll just have to wait & see, ay? :p

And what's Libby's new defense for this week? Why, the old "I forgot" Hail Mary pass, of course. LAFF!! Now he's hired a memory expert to fabricate excuses for him, but the judge has said he won't allow this trial to be a contest between which side has the most convincing experts.

He'll be tried on the evidence/merits, and he'll lose - hopefully dragging down some of the other scumbags with him.

Wurm said:
Guess we'll just have to wait & see, ay? :p
He'll be tried on the evidence/merits, and he'll lose - hopefully dragging down some of the other scumbags with him.
We can only hope justice will prevail & he & the V.P. will be carted off to...jail :eek:

I wonder if wolfux will ever get the facts through his thick skull?? Apparently, what I've posted on many occasions is too difficult for Bush rangers to contemplate.

You Repig-voting idiots are certainly quite gullible, I'll tell you that. But make sure you've said your prayers tonight, a? That'll save ya. :rolleyes: :p

Hypnospin said:
beautiful, an inroad into fact facing, and moving on to the eventual trial and prosecution. call me an optimist, this is a hopeful day for americans.

we may yet restore and improve our domestic and international standings.
Yes. If our own officials don't obey the law, how can we expect others to do so :confused:

davidmc said:
Yes. If our own officials don't obey the law, how can we expect others to do so :confused:
You guys must enjoying jacking each other off.....First of all there is not a movement to censure Bush by anyone then Feingold. If there is any movement of any kind it is the Democrats distancing themselves from Feingold. Feingold wants to force a vote but most Dems feel that won't happen because there is no suport by Feingold by his own party. It must be frustrating for you guys. He couldn't even get Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi's support. And Joe Lieberman said it was a waste of time. I have followed Feingold's career as he is the Senator next to my area. At one time he was considered by a few in Wisconsin to be a serious Presidential canidate. But he is now considered to be a major liability to the Democratic party for his inability to keep his wives happy. And now, he can't get anyone in his party to return his phone calls.