Royal Mail Strike Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Iarocu

On 1st October I orderd a rear light from Cyclexpress. When it hadn,t arrived after a while I e-
mailed them a couple of times. I was told it had been posted. In any case they sent a replacement
which arrived soon thereafter. Today the postie comes to the door with another Cateye LD600. I
ordered it on 1/10/03. Postmarked 2/10/03. Arrived 11/12/03. Iain
PS I,ll either mail it back to them or more likely contact them and buy it for one of the
kids bikes.

"iarocu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 1st October I orderd a rear light from Cyclexpress. When it hadn,t arrived after a while I e-
> mailed them a couple of times. I was told it had been posted. In any case they sent a replacement
> which arrived soon thereafter. Today the postie comes to the door with another Cateye LD600. I
> ordered it on 1/10/03. Postmarked 2/10/03. Arrived 11/12/03.
>

My experiences with items delivered by Royal Mail have been 100% good. I would expect the occasional
item to go astray, no service can be 100% and the complexity of Royal Mail's operations is immense.
___
Michael MacClancy

On 11 Dec 2003 02:41:51 -0800, [email protected] (iarocu) wrote:

>On 1st October I orderd a rear light from Cyclexpress. When it hadn,t arrived after a while I e-
>mailed them a couple of times. I was told it had been posted. In any case they sent a replacement
>which arrived soon thereafter. Today the postie comes to the door with another Cateye LD600. I
>ordered it on 1/10/03. Postmarked 2/10/03. Arrived 11/12/03. Iain
> PS I,ll either mail it back to them or more likely contact them and buy it for one of the kids
> bikes.

CycleXpress are about the fastest mail order outfit I've ordered from, I almost always get my stuff
from them next day. Bought some overshoes from them this week (20% cheaper than any other price I
could find) and they came recorded post, which I've never had from 'em before. Maybe they're having
a bit of trouble with Royal Mail.

Perhaps you might want to ask them if the Post Office has refunded them for the first light that
didn't arrive (until now). If they have..... ahem.
--

"Bob"

Email address is spamtrapped.
To reply directly remove the beverage.

Michael MacClancy wrote:
> My experiences with items delivered by Royal Mail have been 100% good.

Fair enough, but it's the items *not* delivered that I've had problems with :-/

(I can hardly blame the Royal Mail for the Telewest bills, they didn't get delivered because
Telewest didn't address them correctly. But my wife's never forgiven the Royal Mail for the knickers
that they failed to deliver).

> I would expect the occasional item to go astray, no service can be 100% and the complexity of
> Royal Mail's operations is immense.

True enough.

--
Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "iarocu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On 1st October I orderd a rear light from Cyclexpress. When it hadn,t arrived after a while I
> > e-mailed them a couple of times. I was told it had been posted. In any case they sent a
> > replacement which arrived soon thereafter. Today the postie comes to the door with another
> > Cateye LD600. I ordered it on 1/10/03. Postmarked 2/10/03. Arrived 11/12/03.
> >
>
> My experiences with items delivered by Royal Mail have been 100% good. I would expect the
> occasional item to go astray, no service can be 100% and the complexity of Royal Mail's operations
> is immense.
> ___

Royal Mail lose around 1 million items every week.

"jamie g" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > "iarocu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > On 1st October I orderd a rear light from Cyclexpress. When it hadn,t arrived after a while I
> > > e-mailed them a couple of times. I was told it had been posted. In any case they sent a
> > > replacement which arrived soon thereafter. Today the postie comes to the door with another
> > > Cateye LD600. I ordered it on 1/10/03. Postmarked 2/10/03. Arrived 11/12/03.
> > >
> >
> > My experiences with items delivered by Royal Mail have been 100% good.
I
> > would expect the occasional item to go astray, no service can be 100%
and
> > the complexity of Royal Mail's operations is immense.
> > ___
>
> Royal Mail lose around 1 million items every week.
>
>

As with so many things it depends whose figures you rely on. Royal Mail says that it loses or
misdelivers 280,000 items per week. This is an error rate of 0.07%.

They also manage to deliver about 15 million incorrectly addressed letters a week. This doesn't
include the eight million letters a day which have no postcode or an inaccurate one.
___
Michael MacClancy

Michael MacClancy wrote:
>
> This doesn't include the eight million letters a day which have no postcode or an inaccurate one.
>

It does include the letters which are correctly postcoded but incorrectly addressed and spend weeks
being sent to all the local villages with the same street name until luck happens.

Tony

"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Michael MacClancy wrote:
> >
> > This doesn't include the eight million letters a day which have no postcode or an
> > inaccurate one.
> >
>
> It does include the letters which are correctly postcoded but incorrectly addressed and spend
> weeks being sent to all the local villages with the
same
> street name until luck happens.
>
> Tony

What was incorrect in the address? The house name/number? The reason I ask is that the house
name/number and full postcode are (supposedly) sufficient to identify the delivery point. Although I
can believe that Royal Mail would place a greater reliance on the written address being correct than
the postcode.
___
Michael MacClancy

Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:

> But my wife's never forgiven the Royal Mail for the knickers that they failed to deliver).

Jpegs???

--
Marc. Please note the above address is a spam trap, use marcc to reply Printing for clubs of all
types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk Stickers, banners & clothing, for clubs,teams, magazines
and dealers.

Michael MacClancy wrote:
>
> What was incorrect in the address? The house name/number? The reason I ask is that the house
> name/number and full postcode are (supposedly) sufficient to identify the delivery point. Although
> I can believe that Royal Mail would place a greater reliance on the written address being correct
> than the postcode.
>

Everything is correct except the village name is missed out and just the local major town there (its
junk mail that has it wrong so I have no interest in contacting them to correct it!). The post code
refers to a single road of three houses. The envelope always arrives with lots of scribble on of
"Not Village A, try B" "Not B either try ....". Yet a simple post code check would tell immediately
where it was supposed to be delivered. Its not just a one off either as it happens every time to
this particular junk mail which takes 1 week to 2 months to arrive depending on how circuitous the
route round the local villages is.

Tony

iarocu wrote:
> On 1st October I orderd a rear light from Cyclexpress. When it hadn,t arrived after a while I e-
> mailed them a couple of times. I was told it had been posted. In any case they sent a replacement
> which arrived soon thereafter. Today the postie comes to the door with another Cateye LD600. I
> ordered it on 1/10/03. Postmarked 2/10/03. Arrived 11/12/03. Iain
> PS I,ll either mail it back to them or more likely contact them and buy it for one of the kids
> bikes.

During September/October my wife and I toured in the UK on our Bike Friday tandem. When we finished
riding at Penzance, we posted our camping equipment home to Australia. We paid £74.35 plus £2.50
insurance on 15 October for the parcel to be sent by International Parcel Standard which Royal Mail
advertises will reach Australia in 6 to 10 days. We are still awaiting delivery after 58 days!

Royal Mail has acknowledged that the parcel was mistakenly sent by International Economy, which
means that it is bobbing along on the water somewhere. In the mean time it is summer here and we
want the use of the gear in a week's time. Royal Mail's only remedy was that when we return to the
UK we can go to a post office, fill out a form and receive a refund of the difference between the
postage rates. Err, we live in Australia and may never return to the UK.

We was robbed!

Aside from our tangle with Royal Mail, we had a great ride, met lots of lovely people between Orkney
and Cornwall and most likely will be back but don't tell anyone at the Post Office.

Alan.

"Alan Hutchison" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> During September/October my wife and I toured in the UK on our Bike Friday tandem. When we
> finished riding at Penzance, we posted our camping equipment home to Australia. We paid £74.35
> plus £2.50 insurance on 15 October for the parcel to be sent by International Parcel Standard
> which Royal Mail advertises will reach Australia in 6 to 10 days. We are still awaiting delivery
> after 58 days!
>
> Royal Mail has acknowledged that the parcel was mistakenly sent by International Economy, which
> means that it is bobbing along on the water somewhere. In the mean time it is summer here and we
> want the use of the gear in a week's time. Royal Mail's only remedy was that when we return to the
> UK we can go to a post office, fill out a form and receive a refund of the difference between the
> postage rates. Err, we live in Australia and may never return to the UK.
>
> We was robbed!

Sorry to hear about that. I think you could do better than just get the difference in postage
refunded. They might make an ex gratia payment for the error. You should contact the Consumer
Council for Postal Services (Postwatch) who can help you make a claim. Details on
www.postwatch.co.uk.
___
Michael MacClancy

"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "iarocu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > On 1st October I orderd a rear light from Cyclexpress. When it hadn,t arrived after a while I
> > e-mailed them a couple of times. I was told it had been posted. In any case they sent a
> > replacement which arrived soon thereafter. Today the postie comes to the door with another
> > Cateye LD600. I ordered it on 1/10/03. Postmarked 2/10/03. Arrived 11/12/03.
> >
>
> My experiences with items delivered by Royal Mail have been 100% good. I would expect the
> occasional item to go astray, no service can be 100% and the complexity of Royal Mail's operations
> is immense.
> ___
> Michael MacClancy

My experience is that items are not delivered fairly often. Last months books from Amazon didn,t
arrive. I found them at the local sorting office but no card had been put through my door advising
an attempt had been made to deliver. If indeed an attempt had been made as there is almost always
someone at home here during the day. Iain

"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> writes:

> Michael MacClancy wrote:
> >
> > This doesn't include the eight million letters a day which have no postcode or an
> > inaccurate one.
>
> It does include the letters which are correctly postcoded but incorrectly addressed and spend
> weeks being sent to all the local villages with the same street name until luck happens.

A postcode identifies on average 12 delivery addresses, all of them within a few hundred metres of
one another even in the most remote rural areas (e.g., here). So if something is addressed to DG7
1QU, that doesn't mean somewhere in Galloway; it doesn't mean somewhere in Auchencairn (population
224); it doesn't even mean somewhere in Main Street Auchencairn; it means 'on the North side of the
Square in Main Street Auchencairn' - i.e. us and our immediate neighbours.

So if it's ambiguous as to which village it belongs to, the post code's wrong.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

[ This .sig intentionally left blank ]

Simon Brooke wrote:
>
> So if it's ambiguous as to which village it belongs to, the post code's wrong.

Or, as I believe is the case, they totally ignore the post code.

Tony

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 20:27:33 +0000, jamie g wrote:

>
> "Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> "iarocu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > On 1st October I orderd a rear light from Cyclexpress. When it hadn,t arrived after a while I
>> > e-mailed them a couple of times. I was told it had been posted. In any case they sent a
>> > replacement which arrived soon thereafter. Today the postie comes to the door with another
>> > Cateye LD600. I ordered it on 1/10/03. Postmarked 2/10/03. Arrived 11/12/03.
>> >
>>
>> My experiences with items delivered by Royal Mail have been 100% good. I would expect the
>> occasional item to go astray, no service can be 100% and the complexity of Royal Mail's
>> operations is immense.
>> ___
>
> Royal Mail lose around 1 million items every week.

They (or more accurately ParcelForce) managed to lose a Hed Deep front wheel of mine once. Good job
it was fully insured. Interestingly the claim form says (and I quote) "I/we undertake to advise the
ParcelForce Claims centre immediately if any of the items on this Claim form are subsequently traced
and reimburse ParcelForce Worldwide any monies paid in compensation for these items".

Robert

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 15:05:03 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
wrote:

>A postcode identifies on average 12 delivery addresses, all of them within a few hundred metres of
>one another even in the most remote rural areas (e.g., here). So if something is addressed to DG7
>1QU, that doesn't mean somewhere in Galloway; it doesn't mean somewhere in Auchencairn (population
>224); it doesn't even mean somewhere in Main Street Auchencairn; it means 'on the North side of the
>Square in Main Street Auchencairn' - i.e. us and our immediate neighbours.

We once had a letter addressed to "Guy and Felicity, Checkendon, Oxon." It arrived.

Kids, don't try this at home. We've moved.....

Guy
===
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Michael MacClancy wrote:
> "Alan Hutchison" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>
>>During September/October my wife and I toured in the UK on our Bike Friday tandem. When we
>>finished riding at Penzance, we posted our camping equipment home to Australia. We paid £74.35
>>plus £2.50 insurance on 15 October for the parcel to be sent by International Parcel Standard
>>which Royal Mail advertises will reach Australia in 6 to 10 days. We are still awaiting delivery
>>after 58 days!
>>
>>Royal Mail has acknowledged that the parcel was mistakenly sent by International Economy, which
>>means that it is bobbing along on the water somewhere. In the mean time it is summer here and we
>>want the use of the gear in a week's time. Royal Mail's only remedy was that when we return to the
>>UK we can go to a post office, fill out a form and receive a refund of the difference between the
>>postage rates. Err, we live in Australia and may never return to the UK.
>>
>>We was robbed!
>
>
> Sorry to hear about that. I think you could do better than just get the difference in postage
> refunded. They might make an ex gratia payment for the error. You should contact the Consumer
> Council for Postal Services (Postwatch) who can help you make a claim. Details on
> www.postwatch.co.uk.
> ___
> Michael MacClancy
>
>

Thank you Michael. Just the sort of information we needed. We will post the outcome for the
group to see.

Regards,

Alan Hutchison.

Call me Bob <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 11 Dec 2003 02:41:51 -0800, [email protected] (iarocu) wrote:
>
> >On 1st October I orderd a rear light from Cyclexpress. When it hadn,t arrived after a while I e-
> >mailed them a couple of times. I was told it had been posted. In any case they sent a replacement
> >which arrived soon thereafter. Today the postie comes to the door with another Cateye LD600. I
> >ordered it on 1/10/03. Postmarked 2/10/03. Arrived 11/12/03. Iain
> > PS I,ll either mail it back to them or more likely contact them and buy it for one of the
> > kids bikes.
>
> CycleXpress are about the fastest mail order outfit I've ordered from, I almost always get my
> stuff from them next day. Bought some overshoes from them this week (20% cheaper than any other
> price I could find) and they came recorded post, which I've never had from 'em before. Maybe
> they're having a bit of trouble with Royal Mail.
>
> Perhaps you might want to ask them if the Post Office has refunded them for the first light that
> didn't arrive (until now). If they have..... ahem.

No criticism of Cyclexpress intended. Item ordered on 1/1003 posted by them on 2/10/03. Delay due to
postal service. I suspect locally. Anyway I paid Cyclexpress for the second light and they can
reimburse or not any insurance claim with the post office. Despite the poor service from the Royal
Mail I didn,t feel entitled to keep property I hadn,t paid for. Iain

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 22:12:53 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>We once had a letter addressed to "Guy and Felicity, Checkendon, Oxon." It arrived.

Time was when you could get a letter to the world chess champion with the address "Karpov, USSR".

--
Dave...

Status
Not open for further replies.