RR 100km Brimham Rocks Audax

vernon

Guest
For once I set off in good time to reach Wiggington early enough to allow me
to have a leisurely unpacking of my bike and registration etc but this was
negated by traffic far heavier than expected and Wigginton being nearly
gridlocked through hosting a scarecrow competition, seven a side football
tournament and stamp collectors' fair at the community centre hosting the
Audax start and finish.....

Setting off fifteen minutes late I was resigned to my customary lanterne
rouge position for the entire ride especially as the ride took in Brimham
Rocks and I don't do hills gracefully or willingly. The first part of the
ride went well as I was averaging 25 km/hr as I pointlessly tried to close
the gap and catch some riders before the first control. On leaving the
grounds of Beningborough Hall, the route passed through Newton on Ouse which
was a fantastic sight. The main street was lined with cherry trees which
were awash with blossom and formed a very photogenic view. Pressing on I
reached Ripley Castle Tea Rooms which was the first control and where a good
number of riders were finishing their tea break.

MSeries, formerly of this parish was there, rehabilitating after his serious
mishap last year. One or two of the regular riders commented upon my
absence from earler calendered events - it was nice to know that I'd been
missed.

Beware of the prices at the tea room - £3.50 for a couple of cans of
softdrinks and a Mars bar!

I'd forgotten about the misery (only for the gravitationally challenged ...)
of the longish drag from Ripley through Bedlam and onto Brimham Rocks. The
long undulating descent into Ripon was nice and once again, I caught up with
the riders at the cafe in the park. I wasn't quite the last to leave the
cafe and the ride back to Wigginton via Boroughbridge, Aldborough and
Ouseburn was uneventfull and I managed to complete the ride at an average
speed of 15km/hr depite the lumps, late start and going overdistance through
missing a turning for a minor road to Boroughbridge. I also wasn't the last
rider back. My satisfaction with my own performance was dimisnished a tad
wehn, 15 minutes after my arrival back at base, a bunch of 300km riders
arrived back. They'd done three times my distance in only twice the time.

Envy, envy, envy.

Still, I've got 10 x 100km rides under my belt this season. Only another
2000km worth of rides to go to meet my target for the year.

On 4 May, 07:17, "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote:

> MSeries, formerly of this parish was there, rehabilitating after his serious
> mishap last year.

It was nice to see you. I am sure I'll see you around some more in the
next few months too. I had a good ride, at the first control I hooked
up with some of the CTC riders and finished the day with them after
getting stranded between groups when the wanabee racers split
everything up. I am not in good enough shape to take them on at the
moment. If I was in better shape I wouldn't be doing the 100 anyway. I
got back at 16:05 and hung around until about 16:30 when I went back
to the station to get train home.

On May 4, 1:14 pm, MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:

> I am not in good enough shape to take them on at the
> moment. If I was in better shape I wouldn't be doing the 100 anyway. I
> got back at 16:05 and hung around until about 16:30 when I went back
> to the station to get train home.

Good to see you back in action. You were certainly in pretty good
shape when you blew past me on PBP last year. Give it time and it'll
come back.

--
Dave...

On 4 May, 14:34, dkahn400 <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 4, 1:14 pm, MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I am not in good enough shape to take them on at the
> > moment. If I was in better shape I wouldn't be doing the 100 anyway. I
> > got back at 16:05 and hung around until about 16:30 when I went back
> > to the station to get train home.

> Good to see you back in action. You were certainly in pretty good
> shape when you blew past me on PBP last year. Give it time and it'll
> come back.
>
> --
> Dave...

Cheers Dave
I am actually very surprised at how well I am going at the moment. I
had 5 months off the bike and only been back on the road for close to
two. If you are going to have a serious crash do it when you are very
very fit, don't try to comeback too soon, do everything the doctors
and physios tell you to do and look after yourself when you do
comeback. Oh and do some turbo training and weight training and hilly
intervals in the gym for a month before starting to ride again.

vernon wrote:
> For once I set off in good time to reach Wiggington early enough to allow me
> to have a leisurely unpacking of my bike and registration etc but this was
> negated by traffic far heavier than expected and Wigginton being nearly
> gridlocked through hosting a scarecrow competition, seven a side football
> tournament and stamp collectors' fair at the community centre hosting the
> Audax start and finish.....
>
> Setting off fifteen minutes late I was resigned to my customary lanterne
> rouge position for the entire ride especially as the ride took in Brimham
> Rocks and I don't do hills gracefully or willingly. The first part of the
> ride went well as I was averaging 25 km/hr as I pointlessly tried to close
> the gap and catch some riders before the first control. On leaving the
> grounds of Beningborough Hall, the route passed through Newton on Ouse which
> was a fantastic sight. The main street was lined with cherry trees which
> were awash with blossom and formed a very photogenic view. Pressing on I
> reached Ripley Castle Tea Rooms which was the first control and where a good
> number of riders were finishing their tea break.
>
> MSeries, formerly of this parish was there, rehabilitating after his serious
> mishap last year. One or two of the regular riders commented upon my
> absence from earler calendered events - it was nice to know that I'd been
> missed.
>
> Beware of the prices at the tea room - £3.50 for a couple of cans of
> softdrinks and a Mars bar!
>
> I'd forgotten about the misery (only for the gravitationally challenged ...)
> of the longish drag from Ripley through Bedlam and onto Brimham Rocks. The
> long undulating descent into Ripon was nice and once again, I caught up with
> the riders at the cafe in the park. I wasn't quite the last to leave the
> cafe and the ride back to Wigginton via Boroughbridge, Aldborough and
> Ouseburn was uneventfull and I managed to complete the ride at an average
> speed of 15km/hr depite the lumps, late start and going overdistance through
> missing a turning for a minor road to Boroughbridge. I also wasn't the last
> rider back. My satisfaction with my own performance was dimisnished a tad
> wehn, 15 minutes after my arrival back at base, a bunch of 300km riders
> arrived back. They'd done three times my distance in only twice the time.
>
> Envy, envy, envy.
>
> Still, I've got 10 x 100km rides under my belt this season. Only another
> 2000km worth of rides to go to meet my target for the year.

Excellent report Vernon - it's really made me think about an audax. Have
you ridden the Mother Shipton 100 at all?

Graham

"Slark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> vernon wrote:
>> For once I set off in good time to reach Wiggington early enough to allow
>> me to have a leisurely unpacking of my bike and registration etc but this
>> was negated by traffic far heavier than expected and Wigginton being
>> nearly gridlocked through hosting a scarecrow competition, seven a side
>> football tournament and stamp collectors' fair at the community centre
>> hosting the Audax start and finish.....
>>
>> Setting off fifteen minutes late I was resigned to my customary lanterne
>> rouge position for the entire ride especially as the ride took in Brimham
>> Rocks and I don't do hills gracefully or willingly. The first part of
>> the ride went well as I was averaging 25 km/hr as I pointlessly tried to
>> close the gap and catch some riders before the first control. On leaving
>> the grounds of Beningborough Hall, the route passed through Newton on
>> Ouse which was a fantastic sight. The main street was lined with cherry
>> trees which were awash with blossom and formed a very photogenic view.
>> Pressing on I reached Ripley Castle Tea Rooms which was the first control
>> and where a good number of riders were finishing their tea break.
>>
>> MSeries, formerly of this parish was there, rehabilitating after his
>> serious mishap last year. One or two of the regular riders commented
>> upon my absence from earler calendered events - it was nice to know that
>> I'd been missed.
>>
>> Beware of the prices at the tea room - £3.50 for a couple of cans of
>> softdrinks and a Mars bar!
>>
>> I'd forgotten about the misery (only for the gravitationally challenged
>> ...) of the longish drag from Ripley through Bedlam and onto Brimham
>> Rocks. The long undulating descent into Ripon was nice and once again, I
>> caught up with the riders at the cafe in the park. I wasn't quite the
>> last to leave the cafe and the ride back to Wigginton via Boroughbridge,
>> Aldborough and Ouseburn was uneventfull and I managed to complete the
>> ride at an average speed of 15km/hr depite the lumps, late start and
>> going overdistance through missing a turning for a minor road to
>> Boroughbridge. I also wasn't the last rider back. My satisfaction with
>> my own performance was dimisnished a tad wehn, 15 minutes after my
>> arrival back at base, a bunch of 300km riders arrived back. They'd done
>> three times my distance in only twice the time.
>>
>> Envy, envy, envy.
>>
>> Still, I've got 10 x 100km rides under my belt this season. Only another
>> 2000km worth of rides to go to meet my target for the year.

> Excellent report Vernon - it's really made me think about an audax. Have
> you ridden the Mother Shipton 100 at all?

Yes. It's a very nice ride. It was the second ever Audax that I rode three
years ago. Having looked at the route sheet,
http://www.amkirby.co.uk/NYDA/Events/R080629A.htm , it does seem a little
different to the route I rode last year. Nevertheless it's familiar
territory and promises to be a pleasant ride. York CTC are a friendly lot
and I always enjoy the craic. The New Inn in Easingwold is a very good
choice for HQ. There's a very generous minimum average speed.

Go for it.

Quoting MSeries <[email protected]>:
>On 4 May, 07:17, "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>MSeries, formerly of this parish was there, rehabilitating after his serious
>>mishap last year.

>It was nice to see you. I am sure I'll see you around some more in the
>next few months too.

Anyone else from urc planning a bish at the "Taste of the Test" 200 out of
Pamber Heath on the 10th? I am...
Today is First Saturday, May - a weekend.

vernon wrote:
> [...]
>>> arrival back at base, a bunch of 300km riders arrived back. They'd done
>>> three times my distance in only twice the time.
>>>
>>> Envy, envy, envy.
>>>
>>> Still, I've got 10 x 100km rides under my belt this season. Only another
>>> 2000km worth of rides to go to meet my target for the year.

>> Excellent report Vernon - it's really made me think about an audax. Have
>> you ridden the Mother Shipton 100 at all?
>>

> Yes. It's a very nice ride. It was the second ever Audax that I rode three
> years ago. Having looked at the route sheet,
> http://www.amkirby.co.uk/NYDA/Events/R080629A.htm , it does seem a little
> different to the route I rode last year. Nevertheless it's familiar
> territory and promises to be a pleasant ride. York CTC are a friendly lot
> and I always enjoy the craic. The New Inn in Easingwold is a very good
> choice for HQ. There's a very generous minimum average speed.

Thanks for the link to extra information - most useful.

Yep, sounds good.

Graham

On May 6, 5:37 pm, David Damerell <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Anyone else from urc planning a bish at the "Taste of the Test" 200
> out of Pamber Heath on the 10th? I am...

Unfortunately not but I've ridden it a couple of times in the past,
once as a permanent and once as a calendar event. It's a lovely ride.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

--
Dave...

In news:[email protected],
dkahn400 <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
> On May 6, 5:37 pm, David Damerell <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Anyone else from urc planning a bish at the "Taste of the Test" 200
>> out of Pamber Heath on the 10th? I am...

> Unfortunately not but I've ridden it a couple of times in the past,
> once as a permanent and once as a calendar event. It's a lovely ride.
> I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Wot Dave said. Last year it gave the rare pleasure of riding in the dry.

--
Dave Larrington
Murdock's Gardening Law: If it's green, the paving isn't