RR - 1st road bike experience

"Cameron" <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Thu, 6 Feb 2003
00:47:38 UTC

-> What? Do roadies shave their legs for aerodynamics? ->

better massages and imo road rash is less nasty if you are not having the pelt pulled out at the
same time.

--
I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
[email protected]

[email protected] wrote:

>"Cameron" <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Thu, 6 Feb 2003
>00:47:38 UTC
>
>-> What? Do roadies shave their legs for aerodynamics?

>better massages and imo road rash is less nasty if you are not having the pelt pulled out at the
>same time.

That and it shows off the superior muscle definition (the REAL reason, unless there is some
repressed gender confusion thing going on, or the roadie is a woman).

| Penny S. wrote:
| > panda wrote:
| >
| >>um, i ride mtb in bad weather, not the other way round! course being a brit means im on an mtb
| >>more often than not!
| >>
| >>panda
| >

| > Hi panda, welcome to AMB ( you ARE new here, right?) check out the FAQ which among other things
| > suggests that you use proper grammar and punctuation so that people will take you seriously (
whatever
| > that means) and that you not top post. British or American English...
either
| > one is fine.
|
| Correction: Proper English is fine, American is merely tolerated :)
|
| --
| a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
|
| a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

ROTFLMNPEAO

Simon :eek:)

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Thu, 6 Feb 2003
04:08:19 UTC

-> That and it shows off the superior muscle definition (the REAL reason, -> unless there is some
repressed gender confusion thing going on, or the -> roadie is a woman).

well as a former builder I used that reason but it did not apply to my former life as a long haul
cyclist. only shaving i do these days is to connect my receding hairline with my balding crown; it
just seems to make more sense to have a forehead that goes from eyebrows to the back of my neck than
trying to do something with what remained of the hair

--
I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
[email protected]

> Penny S. wrote:
> > panda wrote:
> >
> >>um, i ride mtb in bad weather, not the other way round! course being a brit means im on an mtb
> >>more often than not!
> >>
> >>panda
> >

> > Hi panda, welcome to AMB ( you ARE new here, right?) check out the FAQ which among other things
> > suggests that you use proper grammar and punctuation so that people will take you seriously (
whatever
> > that means) and that you not top post. British or American English...
either
> > one is fine.
>
> Correction: Proper English is fine, American is merely tolerated :)

Yo, word.

Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Penny S. wrote:

> > > Hi panda, welcome to AMB ( you ARE new here, right?) check out the FAQ which among other
> > > things suggests that you use
proper
> > > grammar and punctuation so that people will take you seriously (
> whatever
> > > that means) and that you not top post. British or American English...
> either
> > > one is fine.
> >
> > Correction: Proper English is fine, American is merely tolerated :)
> >

> Yo, word.

You are a silly old botty burp.

',;~P```````

Shaun aRe

"bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 21:49:14 +0000, Shaun Bell wrote:
>

> > "bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> >> First long hill, there's a guy on a bright yellow Colnago
> >
> > Oh man, a poser on a Colnago. I hate that! You should have to take a VO2 max test to purchase
> > such a sweet machine. Keep ridin' that skinny tired beast, maybe you'll come across a pink and
> > blue C40.
> >
> > Shaun Bell
>
> I thought I'd never touch it, but one ride and I can see how it would benefit my real riding. I'm
> almost looking forward bad rain so I have to resort to the road again.
>
> -Bruce

Yes, Bruce, yes... bwahahaha! First you'll be seduced by the increased speed and quickness, the...
gosh... ELEGANCE of the thing. Befor you know it, you'll find yourself admiring a hot pink jersey in
a local bike shop. Oh, you can deny yourself, but how long until you fall to your despicably hairy
knees before an altar of various and sundry depilatories? It awaits you. Yes it does. It's there to
be used. Yes, my son, embrace the dark side! Why fight pleasure? Oh, of COURSE, you can quit
whenever you like.... BWAHAHAHA!!!! Well, at least you'll never act like, you know, 'roadies',
right? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! /s satan!

"supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > > Oh man, a poser on a Colnago. I hate that! You should have to take a
VO2
> > > max test to purchase such a sweet machine. Keep ridin' that skinny
tired
> > > beast, maybe you'll come across a pink and blue C40.
> > >
> > > Shaun Bell
> >
> > I thought I'd never touch it, but one ride and I can see how it would benefit my real riding.
> > I'm almost looking forward bad rain so I have to resort to the road
again.

> > -Bruce
>

> Yes, Bruce, yes... bwahahaha! First you'll be seduced by the increased speed and quickness, the...
> gosh... ELEGANCE of the thing. Befor you know it, you'll find yourself admiring a hot pink jersey
> in a local bike shop. Oh, you can deny yourself, but how long until you fall to your despicably
> hairy knees before an altar of various and sundry depilatories? It awaits you. Yes it does. It's
> there to be used. Yes, my son, embrace the dark side! Why fight pleasure? Oh, of COURSE, you can
> quit whenever you like.... BWAHAHAHA!!!! Well, at least you'll never act like, you know,
> 'roadies', right? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! /s satan!

http://www.nairformen.com

Mike - Y'know you want to Bruce. ;^)

On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 17:56:23 -0500, Michael Dart wrote:

>> Yes, Bruce, yes... bwahahaha! First you'll be seduced by the increased speed and quickness,
>> the... gosh... ELEGANCE of the thing. Befor you know it, you'll find yourself admiring a hot pink
>> jersey in a local bike shop. Oh, you can deny yourself, but how long until you fall to your
>> despicably hairy knees before an altar of various and sundry depilatories? It awaits you. Yes it
>> does. It's there to be used. Yes, my son, embrace the dark side! Why fight pleasure? Oh, of
>> COURSE, you can quit whenever you like.... BWAHAHAHA!!!! Well, at least you'll never act like,
>> you know, 'roadies', right? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! /s satan!
>
> http://www.nairformen.com
>
> Mike - Y'know you want to Bruce. ;^)

Nah. I like like the MTB'er on a road bike look: Camelback, dirty shoes with studs, helmet with a
visor, and yes, hairy friggin legs.

It's hard enough to leave my azonic DH sorts off. I feel naked without them.

The hair stays.

-Bruce.

"bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 17:56:23 -0500, Michael Dart wrote:
>
> >> Yes, Bruce, yes... bwahahaha! First you'll be seduced by the increased speed and quickness,
> >> the... gosh... ELEGANCE of the thing. Befor you know it, you'll find yourself admiring a hot
> >> pink jersey in a local
bike
> >> shop. Oh, you can deny yourself, but how long until you fall to your despicably hairy knees
> >> before an altar of various and sundry depilatories? It awaits you. Yes it does. It's there to
> >> be used. Yes,
my
> >> son, embrace the dark side! Why fight pleasure? Oh, of COURSE, you can quit whenever you
> >> like.... BWAHAHAHA!!!! Well, at least you'll never
act
> >> like, you know, 'roadies', right? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! /s satan!
> >
> > http://www.nairformen.com
> >
> > Mike - Y'know you want to Bruce. ;^)
>
> Nah. I like like the MTB'er on a road bike look: Camelback, dirty shoes with studs, helmet with a
> visor, and yes, hairy friggin legs.
>
> It's hard enough to leave my azonic DH sorts off. I feel naked without them.
>
> The hair stays.
>
> -Bruce.

Hehehe...I hear ya.

Mike

I like the original post, but today in my favorite coffee shop I had cause to think about it a
little more. Working on the laptop, sipping my coffee, Bob Roll walks in an orders.

I knew he lived in town, I hear is a great guy, I'm sure I'll get to talk to him some day, but I
would hate to have met him under similar circumstances as the original poster.

I've had an acquaintance tell me he's been on rides with both Ned and Bob where they are chatting at
the front while some of Durango's strongest riders are working hard just to draft. Then they decide
to do intervals ... drops everybody.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

> In article <[email protected]>, "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:p[email protected]...
> > Caught up him half way up. Not tired yet, good.
> > > Notice that he's shiny smooth legs.
> >
> > What? Do roadies shave their legs for aerodynamics?
>
> Well, sure, that's the excuse.
>
> Seriously, aerodynamically, leg-shaving makes about as small a difference as is measureable. maybe
> 1% in performance. This might matter to time-trials riders. The other roadies do it for the same
> reason that MTBers wear baggy shorts instead of cycling shorts: so they look like the other guys
> on the ride.

Or a nicer sheen when sweaty. :) I was thinking of the joke about guys that climb 5.13 and up shave
their heads cause hair weighs too much.

--
Cameron

"Shaun Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:p[email protected]...
> > Caught up him half way up. Not tired yet, good.
> > > Notice that he's shiny smooth legs.
> >
> > What? Do roadies shave their legs for aerodynamics?
>
> Roadies shave for the same reason freeriders wear body armor and full face lids, it looks cool.

Umm, maybe to them. I don't quite see it...shaving, that is. Body armor? I wear occasionally, for
protection. Suppose I could wear my full face and armor and go for a road ride.................

--
Cameron

"Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Shaun Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:p[email protected]...
> > > Caught up him half way up. Not tired yet, good.
> > >
> > > What? Do roadies shave their legs for aerodynamics?
> >
> > Roadies shave for the same reason freeriders wear body armor and full
face
> > lids, it looks cool.
>
> Umm, maybe to them. I don't quite see it...shaving, that is. Body armor? I wear occasionally, for
> protection. Suppose I could wear my full face and armor and go for a road ride.................

Sounds like a great getup for the Thursday night crits lol!

SB

On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 08:43:41 -0800, "bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote:

Say Fred,

10 miles? you call that a road ride? It takes me that long just to get warmed up.

Let us know how you climb that hill after about 70 miles in the saddle, then I'll be impressed.
Until then you really shouldn't be trying to put down roadies.

>I was given a Cannondale F500 road bike by a friend that already had too many Ti and plastic bikes
>to have any use for an aluminim crack n fail. I didn't even touch it for week. Then I had drop of
>the wife's car at the shop early Sat, so I decided that the 10 miles back would be a good test of
>the road bike thing.
snip

On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 00:47:38 GMT, "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> Caught up him half way up. Not tired yet, good.
>> Notice that he's shiny smooth legs.
>
>What? Do roadies shave their legs for aerodynamics?

NO, it's because roadies get ROAD RASH which is much easier to take care of if you shave the hair
off before you fall (ie.wet dressing wounds leaves less of a scar). Ever tried to shave the hair
off your thigh after you get road rash? Ever had to tape your leg up with a hairy leg? I have,
it's not fun.

Mainly, hair carries more germs than any other part of your body, so it helps prevent infections in
the cuts and road rash you inevitably get when road riding. If you race on the velodrome it's almost
mandatory.

On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 06:28:29 +0000, CowPoo wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 08:43:41 -0800, "bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Say Fred,
>
> 10 miles? you call that a road ride? It takes me that long just to get warmed up.
>
> Let us know how you climb that hill after about 70 miles in the saddle, then I'll be impressed.
> Until then you really shouldn't be trying to put down roadies.

Oh come on, I'm not putting down roadies. I just caught someone who was expecting an easy dust off
that turned out not to be the case.

I don't pretend for a second that I could keep up with the skinny tire crew for any length of time.
I ride mountain, therefore I can sprint, that's about it.

Lighten up.

-Bruce.

"CowPoo" <nopoo(nospam)@hotmail.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 00:47:38 GMT, "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > "bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:p[email protected]...
> > Caught up him half way up. Not tired yet, good.
> >> Notice that he's shiny smooth legs.
> >
> >What? Do roadies shave their legs for aerodynamics?
>
> NO, it's because roadies get ROAD RASH which is much easier to take care of if you shave the hair
> off before you fall (ie.wet dressing wounds leaves less of a scar). Ever tried to shave the hair
> off your thigh after you get road rash? Ever had to tape your leg up with a hairy leg? I have,
> it's not fun.
>
> Mainly, hair carries more germs than any other part of your body, so it helps prevent infections
> in the cuts and road rash you inevitably get when road riding. If you race on the velodrome it's
> almost mandatory.

Whoa, easy there captain. That was called humor. Perhaps I shoulda put a smiley on it.

The roadrash thing does make sense, and I know what it's like to undress a wound on my leg. Never
went down on my road bike, yet. (Knocking on wood.) I've ridden on a velodrome once, can see what
you mean. That's harder than it looks.

--
Cameron

On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 15:23:02 -0800, bruce edge wrote:

> Oh come on, I'm not putting down roadies. I just caught someone who was expecting an easy dust off
> that turned out not to be the case.

I see the same thing from guys at the local park here, working their asses off to "dust" me on the
only real climb in that part of the park.

I don't bother mentioning to them that by the time I hit that hill I've usually done about an hour
of almost straight climbing in a part of the park that most people avoid (because the climbs are,
well, much tougher).

I try not to worry about position. It just puts you in a position where the only way you can enjoy
yourself is at someone else's expense. And when riders join paths, the person in front may only be
there because he hasn't done much thus far.