RR - 1st road bike experience

CowPoo wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 00:47:38 GMT, "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:p[email protected]... Caught up him half way up. Not tired yet, good.
>>
>>>Notice that he's shiny smooth legs.
>>
>>What? Do roadies shave their legs for aerodynamics?
>

> NO, it's because roadies get ROAD RASH which is much easier to take care of if you shave the hair
> off before you fall (ie.wet dressing wounds leaves less of a scar). Ever tried to shave the hair
> off your thigh after you get road rash? Ever had to tape your leg up with a hairy leg? I have,
> it's not fun.
>
> Mainly, hair carries more germs than any other part of your body, so it helps prevent infections
> in the cuts and road rash you inevitably get when road riding. If you race on the velodrome it's
> almost mandatory.

Oh please.

When Zane had his incident last year he had the nastiest combination of crush wounds, punctures,
lacerations and full thickness abrasions I've ever had the misfortune to witness. Shaving his leg to
treat his wounds added a total of maybe two minutes to his treatment time at the emergency clinic.
Zip, zip, zip with an electric trimmer, and it was done. And, no, he's not one of these smooth types
with naturally sparse body hair; in fact, he's downright furry.

So if you want to shave your legs, that's your business. But saying you do it for medical reasons
just doesn't wash. I doubt your legs are any hairier or less sanitary than my dog's.

Kathleen

"Kathleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> CowPoo wrote:
> > On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 00:47:38 GMT, "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> >>"bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >>news:p[email protected]... Caught up him half way up. Not tired yet, good.

> >>What? Do roadies shave their legs for aerodynamics?
> >

> > NO, it's because roadies get ROAD RASH which is much easier to take care of if you shave the
> > hair off before you fall (ie.wet dressing wounds leaves less of a scar). Ever tried to shave the
> > hair off your thigh after you get road rash? Ever had to tape your leg up with a hairy leg? I
> > have, it's not fun.
> >
> > Mainly, hair carries more germs than any other part of your body, so it helps prevent infections
> > in the cuts and road rash you inevitably get when road riding. If you race on the velodrome it's
> > almost mandatory.
>
> Oh please.
>
> When Zane had his incident last year he had the nastiest combination of crush wounds, punctures,
> lacerations and full thickness abrasions I've ever had the misfortune to witness. Shaving his leg
> to treat his wounds added a total of maybe two minutes to his treatment time at the emergency
> clinic. Zip, zip, zip with an electric trimmer, and it was done. And, no, he's not one of these
> smooth types with naturally sparse body hair; in fact, he's downright furry.
>
> So if you want to shave your legs, that's your business. But saying you do it for medical reasons
> just doesn't wash. I doubt your legs are any hairier or less sanitary than my dog's.
>
> Kathleen

If he's at all like dog's I've known, then he might like to roll around on dead squirrels. :) The
most important thing he said referred to removing bandages from hairy legs. I've had to do that too
many times. But I still won't shave my legs.

--
Cameron

"Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Kathleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > CowPoo wrote:

> > > NO, it's because roadies get ROAD RASH which is much easier to take care of if you shave the
> > > hair off before you fall (ie.wet dressing wounds leaves less of a scar). Ever tried to shave
> > > the hair off your thigh after you get road rash? Ever had to tape your leg up with a hairy
> > > leg? I have, it's not fun.
> > >
> > > Mainly, hair carries more germs than any other part of your body, so it helps prevent
> > > infections in the cuts and road rash you inevitably get when road riding. If you race on the
> > > velodrome it's almost mandatory.
> >
> > Oh please.
> >
> > When Zane had his incident last year he had the nastiest combination of crush wounds, punctures,
> > lacerations and full thickness abrasions I've ever had the misfortune to witness. Shaving his
> > leg to treat his wounds added a total of maybe two minutes to his treatment time at the
> > emergency clinic. Zip, zip, zip with an electric trimmer, and it was done. And, no, he's not one
> > of these smooth types with naturally sparse body hair; in fact, he's downright furry.
> >
> > So if you want to shave your legs, that's your business. But saying you do it for medical
> > reasons just doesn't wash. I doubt your legs are any hairier or less sanitary than my dog's.
> >
> > Kathleen
> >

> If he's at all like dog's I've known, then he might like to roll around on dead squirrels. :) The
> most important thing he said referred to removing bandages from hairy legs. I've had to do that
> too many times. But I still won't shave my legs.

And there's really no need to. As Kathleen inferred, a once-over with a set of clippers during wound
care will eliminate the need to place bandages on hairy parts without all the maintenance (and
increased risk of irritation and infection) that goes with regular shaving. Hell, with all the trail
rash I get, I've developed enough skill with the clippers that I don't even touch the wound.

"KLydesdale" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Kathleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > So if you want to shave your legs, that's your business. But saying you do it for medical
> > > reasons just doesn't wash. I doubt your legs are any hairier or less sanitary than my dog's.
> > >
> > > Kathleen
> > >

> > If he's at all like dog's I've known, then he might like to roll around on dead squirrels. :)
> > The most important thing he said referred to removing bandages from hairy legs. I've had to do
> > that too many times. But I still won't shave my legs.
> >

> And there's really no need to. As Kathleen inferred, a once-over with a set of clippers during
> wound care will eliminate the need to place bandages on hairy parts without all the
> maintenance (and increased risk of irritation and infection) that goes with regular shaving.
> Hell, with all the trail rash I get, I've developed enough skill with the clippers that I
> don't even touch the wound.

Very true, but I don't carry clippers on rides with me. I could, since I have a cordless beard
trimmer. But I don't. And in my experience, gashing the shin open on a pedal requires a very large
bandage, or a Telfa pad and gauze rap.

--
Cameron

"Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Very true, but I don't carry clippers on rides with me. I could, since I
have a
> cordless beard trimmer. But I don't. And in my experience, gashing the
shin
> open on a pedal requires a very large bandage, or a Telfa pad and gauze
rap.

I find tape or Band-Aids don't really work well for in-ride first aid of cuts and scrapes because
the adhesive doesn't really stick well to sweaty skin. So hair really isn't an issue here What I did
for wounds on the extremities is cut sections out of the sleeves from an old knit long sleeve shirt
and carry them in my first aid kit. One sleeve gave me a couple of different diameter sections that
will fit snugly over shins, forearms, elbows and even knees. I use these to hold the dressing pad in
place. They work fairly well.

"KLydesdale" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > >

> > Very true, but I don't carry clippers on rides with me. I could, since I
> have a
> > cordless beard trimmer. But I don't. And in my experience, gashing the
> shin
> > open on a pedal requires a very large bandage, or a Telfa pad and gauze
> rap.
> >

> I find tape or Band-Aids don't really work well for in-ride first aid of cuts and scrapes because
> the adhesive doesn't really stick well to sweaty skin. So hair really isn't an issue here What I
> did for wounds on the extremities is cut sections out of the sleeves from an old knit long sleeve
> shirt and carry them in my first aid kit. One sleeve gave me a couple of different diameter
> sections that will fit snugly over shins, forearms, elbows and even knees. I use these to hold the
> dressing pad in place. They work fairly well.

Now that's a good idea. Would give a very slight added insulation, also. Plus you can wash
and re-use.

--
Cameron

"Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "KLydesdale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > >

> > > Very true, but I don't carry clippers on rides with me. I could, since
> > have a
> > > cordless beard trimmer. But I don't. And in my experience, gashing the
> > shin
> > > open on a pedal requires a very large bandage, or a Telfa pad and
gauze
> > rap.
> > >

> > I find tape or Band-Aids don't really work well for in-ride first aid of cuts and scrapes
> > because the adhesive doesn't really stick well to
sweaty
> > skin. So hair really isn't an issue here What I did for wounds on the extremities is cut
> > sections out of the sleeves from an old knit long
sleeve
> > shirt and carry them in my first aid kit. One sleeve gave me a couple
of
> > different diameter sections that will fit snugly over shins, forearms, elbows and even knees. I
> > use these to hold the dressing pad in place. They work fairly well.
>
> Now that's a good idea. Would give a very slight added insulation, also.
Plus
> you can wash and re-use.

Yes, I thought it was a good idea when it was suggested in this newsgroup some years ago. I'd give
proper credit but I can't remember who mentioned
it. The best ones I've made have been from an old cotton waffle knit long underwear top. That
fabric seems to have the right amount of stretch and cling.

Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote:

>When Zane had his incident last year he had the nastiest combination of crush wounds, punctures,
>lacerations and full thickness abrasions I've ever had the misfortune to witness. Shaving his leg
>to treat his wounds added a total of maybe two minutes to his treatment time at the emergency
>clinic. Zip, zip, zip with an electric trimmer, and it was done. And, no, he's not one of these
>smooth types with naturally sparse body hair; in fact, he's downright furry.
>
>So if you want to shave your legs, that's your business. But saying you do it for medical reasons
>just doesn't wash. I doubt your legs are any hairier or less sanitary than my dog's.

Aw, Kathleen... you're missing the point. Y'see if you ride on the road long enough, you WILL crash
and get road rash. THEN if you shave the injured spot, you end up with this odd looking "bald spot"
in the middle of your legs and it looks like you started to shave your legs and chickened out.

Better to just bite the bullet and get it over with.

Besides, it makes me feel... pretty. ;-)

Mark "actually haven't shaved 'em for years" Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of
the $695 ti frame

Mark Hickey wrote:
> Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>When Zane had his incident last year he had the nastiest combination of crush wounds, punctures,
>>lacerations and full thickness abrasions I've ever had the misfortune to witness. Shaving his leg
>>to treat his wounds added a total of maybe two minutes to his treatment time at the emergency
>>clinic. Zip, zip, zip with an electric trimmer, and it was done. And, no, he's not one of these
>>smooth types with naturally sparse body hair; in fact, he's downright furry.
>>
>>So if you want to shave your legs, that's your business. But saying you do it for medical reasons
>>just doesn't wash. I doubt your legs are any hairier or less sanitary than my dog's.
>

> Aw, Kathleen... you're missing the point. Y'see if you ride on the road long enough, you WILL
> crash and get road rash. THEN if you shave the injured spot, you end up with this odd looking
> "bald spot" in the middle of your legs and it looks like you started to shave your legs and
> chickened out.

Okay, but as a veteran leg shaver, I have to point out that if you've got really bad road or trail
rash, you can't continue to shave the injured area while it's healing. Scabs and razors don't mix.
So no matter what, you're probably going to spend some time looking kinda mangy for a while.

> Better to just bite the bullet and get it over with.
>
> Besides, it makes me feel... pretty. ;-) Mark "actually haven't shaved 'em for years" Hickey

Because you've switched to waxing?

Kathleen

Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark Hickey wrote:

>> Better to just bite the bullet and get it over with.
>>
>> Besides, it makes me feel... pretty. ;-) Mark "actually haven't shaved 'em for years" Hickey
>
>Because you've switched to waxing?

Nope... I saw what happened to Mel Gibson in 'What women want". I'm mature and wise enough not to
want know what women are thinking!!!

Mark"besides, I never knew what to do with the bikini line" Hickey Habanero Cycles

On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 08:31:07 -0600, Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote:

>Oh please.
>
>When Zane had his incident last year he had the nastiest combination of crush wounds, punctures,
>lacerations and full thickness abrasions I've

>So if you want to shave your legs, that's your business. But saying you do it for medical reasons
>just doesn't wash. I doubt your legs are any hairier or less sanitary than my dog's.
>
>Kathleen

check the bill... I bet the vet gave your dog a nice big shot of antibiotics also?

http://www.dog.com/vet/firstaid/01.html it is advisable to have your vet examine the dog, because
there are enough differences between dogs and humans that you should not assume that the correct
treatment for a dog is the same as what you would do for yourself. In general, though, one first
clips off any excess hair (keeps the abraded skin exposed to air and then uses a gentle
antiseptic(germ killer) daily for a few days. It is usually not necessary to apply any antibacterial
ointment unless recommended by your vet. The need for oral antibiotics varies with how likely it is
that infection will occur and should be determined only by your vet.

how about a nice staph infection? http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/firstaid/infect.htm

http://www.emedicine.com/med/byname/burn-wound-infections.htm The burn wound surface is sterile
immediately following injury; however, it is repopulated quickly with gram-positive organisms from
hair follicles, skin appendages, and the environment during the first 48 hours.

http://www.colonialgardenspharm.com/spenco/spenco_2nd_skin_moist_burn_pad.html Shortly after
Winter's findings were made public, a similar study in humans also found that covering wounds
and keeping them moist doubled the speed of epithelialization compared to allowing the wounds
to dry out.2

WOOF!!!! (___) (@@ ) \_/-------------\
| | | \
| |--------| | *
| | | |
|| ||

CowPoo wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 08:31:07 -0600, Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Oh please.
>>
>>When Zane had his incident last year he had the nastiest combination of crush wounds, punctures,
>>lacerations and full thickness abrasions I've
>

>>So if you want to shave your legs, that's your business. But saying you do it for medical reasons
>>just doesn't wash. I doubt your legs are any hairier or less sanitary than my dog's.
>>
>>Kathleen
>

> check the bill... I bet the vet gave your dog a nice big shot of antibiotics also?
>
> http://www.dog.com/vet/firstaid/01.html it is advisable to have your vet examine the dog, because
> there are enough differences between dogs and humans that you should not assume that the correct
> treatment for a dog is the same as what you would do for yourself. In general, though, one first
> clips off any excess hair (keeps the abraded skin exposed to air and then uses a gentle
> antiseptic(germ killer) daily for a few days. It is usually not necessary to apply any
> antibacterial ointment unless recommended by your vet. The need for oral antibiotics varies with
> how likely it is that infection will occur and should be determined only by your vet.
>
> how about a nice staph infection? http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/firstaid/infect.htm
>
> http://www.emedicine.com/med/byname/burn-wound-infections.htm The burn wound surface is sterile
> immediately following injury; however, it is repopulated quickly with gram-positive organisms from
> hair follicles, skin appendages, and the environment during the first 48 hours.
>
> http://www.colonialgardenspharm.com/spenco/spenco_2nd_skin_moist_burn_pad.html Shortly after
> Winter's findings were made public, a similar study in humans also found that covering wounds
> and keeping them moist doubled the speed of epithelialization compared to allowing the wounds to
> dry out.2

Not only did he get a shot of antibiotic, he was also on oral antibiotics for two weeks, and
pain killers for the first few days. Antibiotics are just about mandatory in any sort of
dirty injury, let alone having your foot nearly bitten off. The wounds to the foot were kept
bandaged, both to speed healing and to keep them clean. The abrasions to the leg, caused by
being pulled through the fence, were cleaned out, then left unbandaged to heal. Several of
the deepest abrasions were at or over joints in the leg and shoulder, and bandaging would
have been impractical, although when I did the twice-a-day wound care and dressing changes
on the foot, I also applied furacin ointment to the abrasions to keep the crusting and
scabbing to a minimum. Basically, the only differences between the care Zane got, and what a
human with similar injuries might expect is that nobody made Zane get a tetanus shot, and
all of his care was paid for out-of-pocket.

Kathleen

In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

> Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Mark Hickey wrote:
>
> >> Better to just bite the bullet and get it over with.
> >>
> >> Besides, it makes me feel... pretty. ;-) Mark "actually haven't shaved 'em for years" Hickey
> >
> >Because you've switched to waxing?
>
> Nope... I saw what happened to Mel Gibson in 'What women want". I'm mature and wise enough not to
> want know what women are thinking!!!
>
> Mark"besides, I never knew what to do with the bikini line" Hickey

You're supposed to leave a bikini line?

i'm not trying to be a jerk Kathleen, sorry if that's how I've come across.

As an ex-racer, masters racer now, there's nothing worse than having to go through a cycle of
anti-biotics in the middle of the season. Antibiotics kill not just the bad bugs, but the good ones
also. My main reason for shaving is to try and avoid infection in the first place.

Also, as a former fermentation scientist, I know firsthand the effects of bad bugs in my system.
Myself and my co-workers would get diahrea 30 minutes after eating lunch if we forgot to sterilize
our hands before eating.

> Not only did he get a shot of antibiotic, he was also on oral antibiotics for two weeks, and
> pain killers for the first few days. Antibiotics are just about mandatory in any sort of
> dirty injury, let .............. Basically, the only differences between the care Zane got,
> and what a human with similar injuries might expect is that nobody made Zane get a tetanus
> shot, and all of his care was paid for out-of-pocket.
>
>Kathleen

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 07:08:32 -0600, Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]
> Basically, the only differences between the care Zane got, and what a human with similar
> injuries might expect is that nobody made Zane get a tetanus shot, and all of his care was
> paid for out-of-pocket.
>
>Kathleen

sorry to butt in, but i hear you can now get pet health insurance.

peace, bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
:-]

Bill Wheeler wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 07:08:32 -0600, Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > Basically, the only differences between the care Zane got, and what a human with similar
> > injuries might expect is that nobody made Zane get a tetanus shot, and all of his care was
> > paid for out-of-pocket.
> >
> >Kathleen
>
> sorry to butt in, but i hear you can now get pet health insurance.

I hear it's very expensive if your pet smokes.

Eric Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bill Wheeler wrote:
> >
> > sorry to butt in, but i hear you can now get pet health insurance.
> >

> I hear it's very expensive if your pet smokes.

Then use KY jelly or summink.

Shaun aRe

"bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in news:p[email protected]: <munch>
> First thing I notice is his color, he's a bit grey. He's drooling, there's snot hanging off his
> chin, and he's weaving. He catches up and says, "Gasp, That was pretty strong, Gasp, I couldn't
> hold your Gasp wheel, How long you been riding, Gasp Gasp Gasp". I couldn't resist, I said "I just
> got this last week, this is my first time on it. This is kinda fun huh?" He says "I, uh, um, do
> you, er, ... what?" I confessed to the whole MTB thing, and he felt better. The detour was soooo
> worth it. I rode the rest of the way home with stupid grin that wouldn't go away. I'm going to
> have to try that again.
>
> -Bruce

LOL! That Was Toooo Funny!

Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> CowPoo wrote:
>> On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 00:47:38 GMT, "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>"bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:p[email protected]... Caught up him half way up. Not tired yet, good.

>>>What? Do roadies shave their legs for aerodynamics?
>>

>> NO, it's because roadies get ROAD RASH which is much easier to take care of if you shave the hair
>> off before you fall (ie.wet dressing wounds leaves less of a scar). Ever tried to shave the hair
>> off your thigh after you get road rash? Ever had to tape your leg up with a hairy leg? I have,
>> it's not fun.
>>
>> Mainly, hair carries more germs than any other part of your body, so it helps prevent infections
>> in the cuts and road rash you inevitably get when road riding. If you race on the velodrome it's
>> almost mandatory.
>
> Oh please.
>
> When Zane had his incident last year he had the nastiest combination of crush wounds, punctures,
> lacerations and full thickness abrasions I've ever had the misfortune to witness. Shaving his leg
> to treat his wounds added a total of maybe two minutes to his treatment time at the emergency
> clinic. Zip, zip, zip with an electric trimmer, and it was done. And, no, he's not one of these
> smooth types with naturally sparse body hair; in fact, he's downright furry.
>
> So if you want to shave your legs, that's your business. But saying you do it for medical reasons
> just doesn't wash. I doubt your legs are any hairier or less sanitary than my dog's.
>
> Kathleen

If you fall down so much that you need to shave your legs to treat all the wounds you get, maybe you
should invest in some body armor.I ride 14 miles a day to work and back every day and have yet to
fall off of my bike. I tend to be a little more aware of what is going on around my than most road
bikers are. I saw a lady in the full gear almost get creamed by a bus because she thought she had
right of way.