RR - a change of pace

John Atkinson

Guest
I rode Gisburn Forest for the first time in about five years last Friday. I hadn't been there for
about five years. Then I used to hack around the forest quite regularly at speed and did the xc race
there as well.

This time Ruth and I took a day off work, left the kids in school and went for a gentle ride in the
forest. I'd got quite bored with Gisburn, its not a big forest and the bits of singletrack didn't
seem extensive, but running them slowly and truly at Ruth's pace made me appreciate what I'd missed.
The track has bedded in well and the narrow sections are fun. Even the route back to the car park
had some great little sections which I'd never really noticed before.

Older? Wiser? Both? Who cares it was fun anyway. And lunch at the Gamecock in Austwick comes
recommended along with their beer.

"John Atkinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I rode Gisburn Forest for the first time in about five years last Friday. I hadn't been there for
> about five years. Then I used to hack around the forest quite regularly at speed and did the xc
> race there as well.
>
> This time Ruth and I took a day off work, left the kids in school and went for a gentle ride in
> the forest. I'd got quite bored with Gisburn, its not a big forest and the bits of singletrack
> didn't seem extensive, but running them slowly and truly at Ruth's pace made me appreciate what
> I'd missed. The track has bedded in well and the narrow sections are fun. Even the route back to
> the car park had some great little sections which I'd never really noticed before.

Has there been recent work done there? There were some plans buzzing around to develop more s/t.

> Older? Wiser? Both? Who cares it was fun anyway. And lunch at the Gamecock in Austwick comes
> recommended along with their beer.

So, you were in my neck of the woods and didn't drop me a line? ******.

Shaun aRe - Glad _you_ had fun though. No, really.

John Atkinson wrote:
> I rode Gisburn Forest for the first time in about five years last Friday. I hadn't been there for
> about five years. Then I used to hack around the forest quite regularly at speed and did the xc
> race there as well.

Theres a shippon converted to a shelter called Michaels Laithe. Ermm, whats a Laithe?

> The track has bedded in well and the narrow sections are fun. Even the route back to the car park
> had some great little sections which I'd never really noticed before.

Would that be the man made section leading down to the car park by the water? Was the water level
low, thats our drinking water source? Mike

news:<[email protected]>...
> "John Atkinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
> Has there been recent work done there? There were some plans buzzing around to develop more s/t.

no nothing new there, just a fresh look at it

> So, you were in my neck of the woods and didn't drop me a line?

you never showed any interest in the past so I gave up on you

> ******.

and?

> Shaun aRe - Glad _you_ had fun though. No, really.

I'm touched, no really.. ;-)

"taywood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> John Atkinson wrote:
> > I rode Gisburn Forest for the first time in about five years last Friday. I hadn't been there
> > for about five years. Then I used to hack around the forest quite regularly at speed and did the
> > xc race there as well.
>
> Theres a shippon converted to a shelter called Michaels Laithe. Ermm, whats a Laithe?

a barn usually

> > The track has bedded in well and the narrow sections are fun. Even the route back to the car
> > park had some great little sections which I'd never really noticed before.
>
> Would that be the man made section leading down to the car park by the water?

yep, always just saw it as the route back to the car, can have a bit of fun on it actually

> Was the water level low, thats our drinking water source? Mike

yep, drought strikes Lancashire (hopefully)

whereabouts you based then? Fancy a midweek ride in the Dales in the New Year?

"John Atkinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "John Atkinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>
> > Has there been recent work done there? There were some plans buzzing
around
> > to develop more s/t.
>
> no nothing new there, just a fresh look at it

The manager had been talking with our LBS/club about a joint project - that's why I asked.

> > So, you were in my neck of the woods and didn't drop me a line?
>
> you never showed any interest in the past so I gave up on you

What, you ever suggested it to me before? I musta missed that ',;~}~

> > ******.
> >

> and?

Nowt! Heheheheheh.........

> > Shaun aRe - Glad _you_ had fun though. No, really.
>
> I'm touched, no really.. ;-)

You most certainly are touched John ',;~}~

Shaun aRe