RR: a couple of riversomething parks

Gabrielle

Guest
The weather was a bit uncertain, but I'd been planning my getaway for about a month and a half and I
wasn't going to let a little rain stop me. Penny and I figured if the weather truly sucked (like,
hailing) we'd do something else (like, sewing).

So I loaded a couple of my sewing machines and my new bike in the car and headed Up Nawth. Sure
enough, when we woke up Saturday morning it was cold and foggy. Oh, and raining sideways. We decided
we'd wait until the afternoon and maybe it would burn off. It was a good choice: after a stop at the
garden show, the fog was gone, the clouds had lifted, and the rain had settled down enough that we
wouldn't be soaked and frozen within 30 seconds of getting out of the car. (Laugh if you want. I can
deal with cold, rain, _or_ wind, but not all 3 at once. Makes me cranky, it does.)

Piled on the clothes, loaded up the bikes, and hit River[side|front] park. Penny had been scaring me
with these 12 mile RRs of hers this early in the season. Not for me, no ma'am. I have ridden all of
about 30 miles in the past 6 weeks. She made me do it anyway. :D Much to my surprise, I didn't keel
over from exhaustion, and Penny didn't keel over from boredom of riding with The Slow Girl. It's
spring here in the Northern Hemisphere, and I was absolutely enchanted to see my favorite
wildflower, bluebells, all along the trail entrance. I get such a "flower buzz" from being outside
at this time of year that it tends to distract me from matters at hand, like where my weight is
supposed to be when I'm climbing. The new bike has a smaller frame than I am used to, and I was
never that good at climbing to begin with, so I am back to square -10.

The park is criss-crossed with a veritable maze of fireroads and singletrack. The first section we
rode dropped down along the river through ponderosa forests carpeted with balsam. So much for the
weather report: we had sunshine and white puffy clouds the rest of the afternoon. We climbed back up
away from the river, crossed a fire road, and started playing on some singletrack sections around
and over a small ridge. It was the perfect first "real" ride of the season--enough little technical
stuff to get my attention, but no serious penalties for screwing up; enough climbing that my legs
were burning but not cramping; beautiful scenery; and lots of those cute little ground squirrels.

When I started flagging, we hit the fireroad and headed back through a burned section of the forest
to the car. A couple of hours later, I was stuffing myself on Penny's specialty pad thai. Yummy!
What a perfect day.

Sunday morning, no clouds, awake at 6:30 am. The sun comes up earlier up there. Penny suggested we
take a spin around town, so we packed up the kid and the bikes and headed downtown to investigate
the (other) River[front|side] park. Not only is the park really cool, the trails have a whole lane
marked "Wheels only, no pedestrians". I love it! We rode around checking out the various bridges,
islands & waterfalls, and Penny and her son did a little "urban assault" riding on a curved series
of short flights of stairs. Son interpreted mom's advice to not use his front brake as "don't use
any brakes" and came down the stairs quite a bit faster than he was really ready for and bailed on
the next-to-last section. I think he would have made it if he'd been going a bit slower. I have some
wonderful photos of Penny looking rico-suave on the stairs but unfortunately they are only in my
head. We forgot to put the memory card back in the camera. :p We rode around dodging marmots and
geese for a little while longer, then headed out.

All in all, a lovely weekend and a great start to the season for me!

gabrielle

gabrielle <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> The weather was a bit uncertain, but I'd been planning my getaway for about a month and a half and
> I wasn't going to let a little rain stop me. Penny and I figured if the weather truly sucked
> (like, hailing) we'd do something else (like, sewing).

<snipped some!>

> All in all, a lovely weekend and a great start to the season for me!
>
> gabrielle

Cheers Gab, fun read! Glad ya had some good ridin' ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

"gabrielle" <[email protected]> wrote a cool RR in message
news:p[email protected]...

Gabrielle,

Nicely done. It sounds like you guys had a great day (except for the Cucumber lime salad Penny
wrote about :p). Those are the kinds of days that stay with you during the long winter breaks.

Thanks for the RR.

Marty

Martees wrote:
> "gabrielle" <[email protected]> wrote a cool RR in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>
> Gabrielle,
>
> Nicely done. It sounds like you guys had a great day (except for the Cucumber lime salad Penny
> wrote about :p). Those are the kinds of days that stay with you during the long winter breaks.

I'll remember to point to the box of cheerios for you next time I do a Thai extravaganza:

cucumber salad:

sliced cukes, small bit red chile paste, diced garlic, tablespoon fish sauce, 3 tablespoons lime
juice... serve immediately.

Penny

gabrielle wrote:

> The park is criss-crossed with a veritable maze of fireroads and singletrack. The first section we
> rode dropped down along the river through ponderosa forests carpeted with balsam. So much for the
> weather report: we had sunshine and white puffy clouds the rest of the afternoon. We climbed back
> up away from the river, crossed a fire road, and started playing on some singletrack sections
> around and over a small ridge. It was the perfect first "real" ride of the season--enough little
> technical stuff to get my attention, but no serious penalties for screwing up; enough climbing
> that my legs were burning but not cramping; beautiful scenery; and lots of those cute little
> ground squirrels.

here she is... on the new Orange Pumpkin or Tangerine Dream, can't remember which. We were too busy
riding to take many photos. (one)

www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/gabrsweb.jpg

One she gets comfortable on the new ride -upgrade from classic rigid to light HT with disc brakes
and more agressive geometry... she's gonna be rockin'.

penny

> Martees wrote:
> > "gabrielle" <[email protected]> wrote a cool RR in message
> > news:p[email protected]...
> >
> > Gabrielle,
> >
> > Nicely done. It sounds like you guys had a great day (except for the Cucumber lime salad Penny
> > wrote about :p). Those are the kinds of days that stay with you during the long winter breaks.
> >

> I'll remember to point to the box of cheerios for you next time I do a
Thai
> extravaganza:
>

> cucumber salad:
>
> sliced cukes, small bit red chile paste, diced garlic, tablespoon fish sauce, 3 tablespoons lime
> juice... serve immediately.
>
> Penny

Didn't you forget the vinegar? We used to eat this as our version of a pickle (I was born/raised in
the Philippines, Air Force brat).

--
- Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

> Martees wrote:
> > "gabrielle" <[email protected]> wrote a cool RR in message
> > news:p[email protected]...
> >
> > Gabrielle,
> >
> > Nicely done. It sounds like you guys had a great day (except for the Cucumber lime salad Penny
> > wrote about :p). Those are the kinds of days that stay with you during the long winter breaks.
> >

> I'll remember to point to the box of cheerios for you next time I do a
Thai
> extravaganza:
>

> cucumber salad:
>
> sliced cukes, small bit red chile paste, diced garlic, tablespoon fish sauce, 3 tablespoons lime
> juice... serve immediately.
>
> Penny

Hahaha.

Something about cucumbers.................

Cheerios sound good!

Marty

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 22:06:35 -0700, gabrielle <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip nice RR]

>All in all, a lovely weekend and a great start to the season for me!

What season? You mean MTB season or Spring season?

Every season is MTB season you know. C'mon get with the program.

>gabrielle

Glad to hear you and Penny had a good ride.

I like the "no pedestrian" bit....must be nice.

:-]

On Thu, 01 May 2003 18:58:18 -0700, Bill Wheeler wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 22:06:35 -0700, gabrielle <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [snip nice RR]
>
>>All in all, a lovely weekend and a great start to the season for me!
>
> What season? You mean MTB season or Spring season?

There are two seasons here: ski season, and everything else season.

> Every season is MTB season you know. C'mon get with the program.

:D Sadly that is not the case here. Too wet Oct - [May|June|July]. Not only do I not like being
cold + wet, there's that whole trail destructo thing. And those wood bridges are scary enough when
they're dry; when wet they downright paralyze me with visions of slipping off into the drink.

> I like the "no pedestrian" bit....must be nice.

It was extremely pleasant, actually. More bike paths should have that.

If I wasn't so wiped out from this week at work I'd head back up there again. ;)

gabrielle