RR: A neighborhood fixin'

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Carla A-G, May 27, 2003.

  1. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    We worked on getting the fixed gear bikes ready. It had been raining all weekend long, there would
    be no opportunity to hit the dirt. Hopefully, the rain would hold off enough to take the torture
    devices out for a pleasant spin, perhaps on the paved bike path. I am a complete newbie to fixed
    gear bikes, so I expected quite the experience. Jim has been riding fixed gears for many years, so
    he would have no problem.

    One last check over the bikes and we were just about to hit the road. The weather was holding.
    Barely holding. We got out the door and were about the hit the road when...it started to come down.
    Shit. It started to come down hard. Looks like our plans would be ruined for the ride. We decided to
    make the best of it. We decided to terrorize the residential neighborhood that we lived in with our
    sleek steel tubed maidens.

    I had a heck of a time trying to ride my bike. You can really pick up momentum very quickly from the
    start, but stopping the bike without a brake can really do some damage if you can't get the bike
    under control. Luckily, I installed a front brake but I tried not to use it and relied on my legs to
    go with the flow of the bike. The pain that resulted from these stops and starts was getting to me.
    The feeling was comparable to having sulfuric acid pumped into my veins (not that I have ever had
    that done, but I can imagine it would feel the same...). Jim had not been on his fixie for a while,
    so he was experiencing the same "mutilating suicide"...as he called it.

    We rode around in the rain, doing laps around the neighborhood. The bikes felt sturdy and fast. Very
    fast. One day, when the rain decides to stop, we shall attempt to torture ourselves again.

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    Tags:

  2. "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I installed a front brake but I tried not to use it and relied on my legs to go with the flow of
    > the bike.

    I've found that I just use my damn brakes. I use my legs for subtle things, but when I just want to
    stop, I grab a handful of front brake. I'm not proud.

    > Jim had not been on his fixie for a while, so he was experiencing the same "mutilating
    > suicide"...as he called it.

    So what kind of gearing are you two running?

    CC

  3. Jimbo

    Jimbo Guest

    Corvus Corvax wrote:

    > "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote
    > >
    > > I installed a front brake but I tried not to use it and relied on my legs to go with the flow of
    > > the bike.
    >
    > I've found that I just use my damn brakes. I use my legs for subtle things, but when I just want
    > to stop, I grab a handful of front brake. I'm not proud.
    >
    > > Jim had not been on his fixie for a while, so he was experiencing the same "mutilating
    > > suicide"...as he called it.
    >
    > So what kind of gearing are you two running?
    >
    > CC

    Well I am running a 52/19 and Carla is running a 48/16... I just checked on Sheldon's site and I am
    running a 5.4 gear inches and Carla's is

    running 5.3 gear inches.... I had been running a very easy 42/19 for commuting but spinning out
    becomes a major problem I tell you it's the starting and stopping that kills... Carla... Well she is
    just abusive and likes stopping with as little brake as possible.... Me... well my fixie is part
    Chunk bike so the brakes just don't grab like they should... Problem with having a 27" wheel and an
    old school crap brake... Since I upped the gearing I have had to replace the chain... I remembered
    your advice about the power link ;-) and I still need to improve the chainline... Again with my
    chunk fixie it will some sort of voodoo to get it back to perfect. I know you told me... but what
    ratio are you and Jeanette running?

    Jimbo... it's all coming back...(san)

  4. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

  5. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    [email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote
    > >
    > > I installed a front brake but I tried not to use it and relied on my legs to go with the flow of
    > > the bike.
    >
    > I've found that I just use my damn brakes. I use my legs for subtle things, but when I just want
    > to stop, I grab a handful of front brake. I'm not proud.
    >
    > CC

    Word. Pride is easily dispensed with in lieu of the health of my knees. /s
    ps: Corvus, I just started reading an article in the NYer that may be of interest to you.

  6. "jimbo(san)" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I just checked on Sheldon's site and I am running a 5.4 gear inches and Carla's is running 5.3
    > gear inches....

    I hope you mean gain ratios here ;-).

    > I know you told me... but what ratio are you and Jeanette running?

    49x18, which with 170mm cranks and 134 tires comes to a gain ratio of
    5.5. For some reason, I get bigger numbers than you when I run your gearing through.

    CC

  7. "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I'm running 48 x 16.

    Great Googly Moogly, girl! That's a big gear! You might find life a little easier if you pick up a
    bigger cog for the rear...

    CC

  8. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    [email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote
    > >
    > > I'm running 48 x 16.
    >
    > Great Googly Moogly, girl! That's a big gear! You might find life a little easier if you pick up a
    > bigger cog for the rear...
    >
    > CC

    I might be using it for commuting, so I'll have to see how it is first.

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!