RR: AAC toe dip

JayWoo

New Member
Nov 8, 2004
On Wednesday (30.11.2005) I set out on a ‘training ride\adventure’ for my prep for the Audax Alpine Classic. I knew the area and had figured out a route that would get me the basic layout of an AAC; small climb, big climb, small climb, big climb.
The start point was out at the Melba Hwy end of ‘Old Healsville rd’. Leaving from there at about 07:20 it was into Healesville to meet up with Bleve for a short break and a shady transaction. We both headed out Don rd & Beleve suggested I might want to try another way up instead of Don rd. I found the left turn but after 15mins of riding and no up-age I turned back to the intersection of Badger ck rd & Don.
This was my 1st time up Don rd (after reconing on the way back from Mt Donna the wkend before). With an av grad of 6.2% and 8.2kms from the turnoff, it’s was a great way to start the day. At the top (where the rd turns to gravel) the view is worth it too. The descent is fast and fun. Though keep an eye out for pot holes.

Now it was back to Healesville & up to Kinglake via Myers ck rd, through Toolangi over the Melba Hwy and up to the high point in Kinglake (yes past the shops and up ‘that hill’). On the way back it was a short stop for Coffee and scroll then back down to Healesville via Chum ck rd.
I’m heading down Chum ck rd for the first time. It’s nice, easy, & smooth. I come around one of the many sweepers and there’s a new top of the line BMW heading up. It starts flashing it’s lights and slowing down, so I’m thinking he must be wanting to warn me of something, so I slow up too. The window comes down as I slowly pass, and I’m waiting for the warning it looks like he wants to tell me…

****-of-a-BM-driver: “Is this the way to Melbourne”
Jay_ya-******-what-?_Woo: “…. You’ve stopped me from this descent to ask me, is this the way to Melbourne?!”
Jay_before-****-can-answer_Woo: “Maybe you should have got the GPS Option?”
I ride off…
The rest was as you see it on the map, with the last push up to Kinglake feeling like I was on Acid (not that I know what that’s like:rolleyes:) as the K’s started to take their toll on me. I nearly bailed at Melba Hwy but slapped myself & kept it going.

Map:
http://tinyurl.com/a6vgm
Profile:
http://tinyurl.com/blc63

Km: 252
Ascent: 4100m
Time:9hrs 43mins
Av spd: 26km\h

I hope to do this a few more times before Jan 22nd. Anyone want to come along?

Right, now I’m in the car and off to a shack in the middle of the bush to be spanked by Mt Buller for the week.

See ya:)

On 2005-12-02, JayWoo (aka Bruce)

> http://tinyurl.com/blc63

Ikes!

> Km: 252
> Ascent: 4100m
> Time:9hrs 43mins
> Av spd: 26km\h
>
> I hope to do this a few more times before Jan 22nd. Anyone want to come
> along?

Hmmm. Hmmm. Maybe not for 252 km, and 4km of climbing...

--
TimC
So there you have it, supplicant. The Europeans aren't morally superior

"JayWoo" wrote in message ...

> Km: 252
> Ascent: 4100m
> Time:9hrs 43mins
> Av spd: 26km\h

That is a fusking MONSTER effort...!!! Your new Polar would have copped a
spanking! :)

cheers,
GPL