RR: Adventures in San Juan Capistrano

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Gman, Jun 21, 2003.

  1. Gman

    Gman Guest

    First of all thanks to Sorni and the SD locals for hooking me up with such a quality ride.

    Down in SoCal to see some friends and I knew I wanted to check out one of the area's epic rides.
    From talking to the local MTB gurus, it appeared that it was either Noble Canyon down south, or the
    San Juan Trail up in San Juan Capistrano. I chose the later due to its closer proximity.

    All the web sites told me not to ride the trail alone. Being unable to scare up anyone else to ride
    early on a Wed morning, that was a warning I was unable to heed, but should have.

    The trail was humbling. Full of steep climbs, rocky and loose technical sections, wicked switchbacks
    that challenged the turning radius of my rented Specialized Enduro, and LOTS of steep drop offs. The
    consequences for an untimely error would have been very significant.

    I mapped out a 19-mile out-n-back with a loop at the top as the goal, but only made it up about 7
    miles (and about 3k vert feet, just past Cocktail Rock) before I turned around. I had plenty of gas
    in the tank, but I was a little freaked out being way up there alone, and knew the descent would be
    no picnic either. Plus my shins were getting beat up pretty bad on the (very firm) scrub brush that
    tightly lines several areas of the trail.

    Even tho I wussed out on my 19-miler, SJT was a great ride. It gave me all I wanted and a lot more
    for 3+ hours.

    Next time I'm making the camp ground...

    A few pix here: http://www.pbase.com/gmanpbase/sjt

    Gman

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > First of all thanks to Sorni and the SD locals for hooking me up with such a quality ride.
    >
    > Down in SoCal to see some friends and I knew I wanted to check out one of the area's epic rides.
    > From talking to the local MTB gurus, it appeared that it was either Noble Canyon down south, or
    > the San Juan Trail up in San Juan Capistrano. I chose the later due to its closer proximity.
    >
    > All the web sites told me not to ride the trail alone. Being unable to scare up anyone else to
    > ride early on a Wed morning, that was a warning I was unable to heed, but should have.
    >
    > The trail was humbling. Full of steep climbs, rocky and loose technical sections, wicked
    > switchbacks that challenged the turning radius of my rented Specialized Enduro, and LOTS of steep
    > drop offs. The consequences for an untimely error would have been very significant.
    >
    > I mapped out a 19-mile out-n-back with a loop at the top as the goal, but only made it up about 7
    > miles (and about 3k vert feet, just past Cocktail Rock) before I turned around. I had plenty of
    > gas in the tank, but I was a little freaked out being way up there alone, and knew the descent
    > would be no picnic either. Plus my shins were getting beat up pretty bad on the (very firm) scrub
    > brush that tightly lines several areas of the trail.
    >
    > Even tho I wussed out on my 19-miler, SJT was a great ride. It gave me all I wanted and a lot more
    > for 3+ hours.
    >
    > Next time I'm making the camp ground...
    >
    > A few pix here: http://www.pbase.com/gmanpbase/sjt
    >
    > Gman

    Well, you chose a great trail. It's definitely a local favorite.

    Thanks for the pix.
    --
    Slacker

  3. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > First of all thanks to Sorni and the SD locals for hooking me up with such a quality ride.
    >
    > Down in SoCal to see some friends and I knew I wanted to check out one of the area's epic rides.
    > From talking to the local MTB gurus, it appeared that it was either Noble Canyon down south, or
    > the San Juan Trail up in San Juan Capistrano. I chose the later due to its closer proximity.
    >
    > All the web sites told me not to ride the trail alone. Being unable to scare up anyone else to
    > ride early on a Wed morning, that was a warning I was unable to heed, but should have.
    >
    > The trail was humbling. Full of steep climbs, rocky and loose technical sections, wicked
    > switchbacks that challenged the turning radius of my rented Specialized Enduro, and LOTS of steep
    > drop offs. The consequences for an untimely error would have been very significant.
    >
    > I mapped out a 19-mile out-n-back with a loop at the top as the goal, but only made it up about 7
    > miles (and about 3k vert feet, just past Cocktail Rock) before I turned around. I had plenty of
    > gas in the tank, but I was a little freaked out being way up there alone, and knew the descent
    > would be no picnic either. Plus my shins were getting beat up pretty bad on the (very firm) scrub
    > brush that tightly lines several areas of the trail.
    >
    > Even tho I wussed out on my 19-miler, SJT was a great ride. It gave me all I wanted and a lot more
    > for 3+ hours.
    >
    > Next time I'm making the camp ground...
    >
    > A few pix here: http://www.pbase.com/gmanpbase/sjt

    Nice pix, Greg -- sorry I couldn't join you; and too bad you couldn't join US for something Friday.

    Porter (MTB Bill) finally came back, and Michael Paul finally had his kid (!), so I guess the
    overall timing wasn't the most conducive to us all hooking up. Next time!

    Bill "glad you made it home, too" S.

  4. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 22 Jun 2003 05:26:40 GMT, Gman <[email protected]> wrote:

    >First of all thanks to Sorni and the SD locals for hooking me up with such a quality ride.
    >
    >Down in SoCal to see some friends and I knew I wanted to check out one of the area's epic rides.
    >From talking to the local MTB gurus, it appeared that it was either Noble Canyon down south, or the
    >San Juan Trail up in San Juan Capistrano. I chose the later due to its closer proximity.
    >
    >All the web sites told me not to ride the trail alone. Being unable to scare up anyone else to ride
    >early on a Wed morning, that was a warning I was unable to heed, but should have.
    >
    >The trail was humbling. Full of steep climbs, rocky and loose technical sections, wicked
    >switchbacks that challenged the turning radius of my rented Specialized Enduro, and LOTS of steep
    >drop offs. The consequences for an untimely error would have been very significant.
    >
    >I mapped out a 19-mile out-n-back with a loop at the top as the goal, but only made it up about 7
    >miles (and about 3k vert feet, just past Cocktail Rock) before I turned around. I had plenty of gas
    >in the tank, but I was a little freaked out being way up there alone, and knew the descent would be
    >no picnic either. Plus my shins were getting beat up pretty bad on the (very firm) scrub brush that
    >tightly lines several areas of the trail.
    >
    >Even tho I wussed out on my 19-miler, SJT was a great ride. It gave me all I wanted and a lot more
    >for 3+ hours.
    >
    >Next time I'm making the camp ground...
    >
    >A few pix here: http://www.pbase.com/gmanpbase/sjt
    >
    >Gman

    Very nice Gman, very nice.

    :-]

  5. Bill Porter

    Bill Porter Guest

    On 22 Jun 2003 05:26:40 GMT, Gman <[email protected]> wrote:

    >First of all thanks to Sorni and the SD locals for hooking me up with such a quality ride.
    >
    >Down in SoCal to see some friends and I knew I wanted to check out one of the area's epic rides.
    >From talking to the local MTB gurus, it appeared that it was either Noble Canyon down south, or the
    >San Juan Trail up in San Juan Capistrano. I chose the later due to its closer proximity.
    >
    >All the web sites told me not to ride the trail alone. Being unable to scare up anyone else to ride
    >early on a Wed morning, that was a warning I was unable to heed, but should have.
    >
    >The trail was humbling. Full of steep climbs, rocky and loose technical sections, wicked
    >switchbacks that challenged the turning radius of my rented Specialized Enduro, and LOTS of steep
    >drop offs. The consequences for an untimely error would have been very significant.
    >
    >I mapped out a 19-mile out-n-back with a loop at the top as the goal, but only made it up about 7
    >miles (and about 3k vert feet, just past Cocktail Rock) before I turned around. I had plenty of gas
    >in the tank, but I was a little freaked out being way up there alone, and knew the descent would be
    >no picnic either. Plus my shins were getting beat up pretty bad on the (very firm) scrub brush that
    >tightly lines several areas of the trail.
    >
    >Even tho I wussed out on my 19-miler, SJT was a great ride. It gave me all I wanted and a lot more
    >for 3+ hours.
    >
    >Next time I'm making the camp ground...
    >
    >A few pix here: http://www.pbase.com/gmanpbase/sjt
    >
    >Gman

    Nice RR. My first time on the SJT was a solo as well. I know exactly what you mean about being a
    little freaked out about being alone. Getting to the campgroup is kinda cool but I prefer to do the
    Viejo Tie Trail option vice the campground. It still looks pretty green, I need to get back up
    there soon.

    Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

  6. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    Gman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > First of all thanks to Sorni and the SD locals for hooking me up with such a quality ride.
    >
    > Down in SoCal to see some friends and I knew I wanted to check out one of the area's epic rides.
    > From talking to the local MTB gurus, it appeared that it was either Noble Canyon down south, or
    > the San Juan Trail up in San Juan Capistrano. I chose the later due to its closer proximity.
    >
    > Next time I'm making the camp ground...
    >
    > A few pix here: http://www.pbase.com/gmanpbase/sjt
    >
    > Gman

    Neat RR, and bet it would have been easier on your one-trick pony, rather than that heavy beast.

    I wanta ride Stack Rock this week, so let's hook up.

    Paladin