RR: Ahh, Spring

Corvus Corvax

Guest
This was the first decent weekend in New York in weeks. Also, one of the few weekends in the past
couple of months when I haven't been either working or taking a plane someplace. But the weather
finally broke, I was actually home, and the Surly Abomination cross bike was staring at me
curiously. We had the MTBs out yesterday for a quick ride, mostly because my wife's shiny new Surly
needed a few tweaks (as in "complete rebuild") on the rear wheel. Ran into elGordo/supabonbon on the
George Washington Bridge. I think if you sat for a few hours on the GWB this weekend, you would have
run into every cyclist in the city.

Anyway, Gordo, you're right. We need to hit some dirt.

I'm getting better at wheelbuilding. It only took me an hour and a half or so to detension the big
700c singlespeed wheel and build it back up, solid and true. Today is the day for the big cross
bikes to play: my wife has now become a singlespeeder! We have his-and-hers Surly Crosscheck
one-speeds. She's still not comfortable running fixed, so she freewheels and I put the bike in
fixed-gear mode. We're both running 49x18, flying up Riverside Drive at 22 mph on a beautiful spring
day. Riding a fixed-gear in Manhattan traffic is a truly sublime experience. I am totally in touch
with my bike, moving fast. It's the usual Sunday afternoon traffic, rife with addled pinheads who
Simply Must Be In Westchester NOW!

We know how to deal with them.

I think of the future. We're leaving Manhattan in a few months, going to pack up and move to
Buffalo. I'm going to miss this city. ****, I'm going to need to buy some skis. I spin. Then it hits
me: I'm going to be riding the same trails as duhSki... see you on the trails, Scott!

Jim/Carla: has Frankie Froglegs sold those studded tires yet? ;-)

CC

On 16 Mar 2003 16:34:49 -0800, [email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote:

>I'm getting better at wheelbuilding. It only took me an hour and a half or so to detension the big
>700c singlespeed wheel and build it back up, solid and true.

Nice, still working on practice wheels...

>Today is the day for the big cross bikes to play: my wife has now become a singlespeeder!

Never too many SSers

>She's still not comfortable running fixed, so she freewheels and I put the bike in fixed-gear mode.
>We're both running 49x18, flying up Riverside Drive at 22 mph on a beautiful spring day. Riding a
>fixed-gear in Manhattan traffic is a truly sublime experience.

Riding a fixed must be a truly insane experience. When my freewheel on my homegrown froze 5 miles
deep in the woods it sucked pretty bad. I can't imagine riding a fixed in traffic....you got brakes
on that thing ;-)

>I think of the future. We're leaving Manhattan in a few months, going to pack up and move to
>Buffalo. I'm going to miss this city. ****, I'm going to need to buy some skis. I spin. Then it
>hits me: I'm going to be riding the same trails as duhSki... see you on the trails, Scott!

D'oh! bring your spanking tools....or am I thinking of someone else.

Peace, Bill

:-]

"Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>
> Anyway, Gordo, you're right. We need to hit some dirt.

Jim and I haven't seen dirt in over a month.

> I think of the future. We're leaving Manhattan in a few months, going to pack up and move to
> Buffalo. I'm going to miss this city. ****, I'm going to need to buy some skis. I spin. Then it
> hits me: I'm going to be riding the same trails as duhSki... see you on the trails, Scott!

We must ride before you make the move. We'll come and visit you in Buffalo on our regular trips when
we pass through there. I hope you realize that Buffalo's only claim to fame is: major city fires and
the Goo Goo Dolls. Good luck!

> Jim/Carla: has Frankie Froglegs sold those studded tires yet? ;-)

He's been using them all this winter...

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

Corvus Corvax wrote:

> Anyway, Gordo, you're right. We need to hit some dirt

Dirt??? Wassat???

> I am totally in touch with my bike, moving fast. It's the usual Sunday afternoon traffic, rife
> with addled pinheads who Simply Must Be In Westchester NOW!
>
> We know how to deal with them.

Carla and I have been spending a lot of time out on the roads here... Same problems... If things get
bad we like to confront, get them to open the window and give them a big spray from our
waterbottle... that usually cools them down ;-P

> I think of the future. We're leaving Manhattan in a few months, going to pack up and move to
> Buffalo. I'm going to miss this city. ****, I'm going to need to buy some skis. I spin. Then it
> hits me: I'm going to be riding the same trails as duhSki... see you on the trails, Scott!

We'll miss you and Mrs Corvax.... Where are we going to find SS freaks to ride with??? We pass by
Buffalo every few months... Maybe by then you can show us the goods... Or maybe come over the border
with us for some Canadian goods? Maybe one more Bridges of Manhatten County before you go???

Jimbo(san)

[email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... <snip>
> I think of the future. We're leaving Manhattan in a few months, going to pack up and move to
> Buffalo. I'm going to miss this city. ****, I'm going to need to buy some skis. I spin. Then it
> hits me: I'm going to be riding the same trails as duhSki... see you on the trails, Scott!

I doubt that. You don't ride sidewalks.

JD

> We must ride before you make the move. We'll come and visit you in Buffalo on our regular trips
> when we pass through there. I hope you realize that Buffalo's only claim to fame is: major city
> fires and the Goo Goo Dolls. Good luck!

Major city fires? You thinkin' Chicago? Also now don't forget actor John Schuck (the rumpled cop on
MacMillan and Wife) and Rick James (Superfreak). ;^)

Mike - and me!

> "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>

> > We must ride before you make the move. We'll come and visit you in
Buffalo
> > on our regular trips when we pass through there. I hope you realize that Buffalo's only claim to
> > fame is: major city fires and the Goo Goo Dolls. Good luck!
> >

> Major city fires? You thinkin' Chicago? Also now don't forget actor John Schuck (the rumpled cop
> on MacMillan and Wife) and Rick James
(Superfreak).
> ;^)
>
> Mike - and me!

...and Buffalo wings!

Matt

"jimbo(san)" <[email protected]> wrote

> We'll miss you and Mrs Corvax.... Where are we going to find SS freaks to ride with???

Maybe KittyMeow is a singlespeeder... but we'll miss you too, ya big lug.

> We pass by Buffalo every few months... Maybe by then you can show us the goods...

Looks like the Finger Lakes might measure up. Come crash with us and we'll do it. I get the feeling
we'll be seeing more of you guys up near Toronto than Long Island ;-).

> Maybe one more Bridges of Manhatten County before you go???

Tune up your fix, dude.

CC

"Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote

> I hope you realize that Buffalo's only claim to fame is: major city fires and the Goo Goo Dolls.

You're forgetting the National Kazoo Museum and Annie deFranco. We shall ride this summer...

CC

"Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I think of the future. We're leaving Manhattan in a few months, going to pack up and move to
> Buffalo. I'm going to miss this city. ****, I'm going to need to buy some skis. I spin. Then it
> hits me: I'm going to be riding the same trails as duhSki... see you on the trails, Scott!

Check out these folks when you get to Buffalo. www.wnymba.org they have the info on the local rides
and such. Check out the Racoon Rally in June it's a good race (if you're into that sort of thing).
If I get up that way to visit family this summer I'll see if I can look you up for a ride (none of
my family rides).

Mike

[email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> This was the first decent weekend in New York in weeks. Also, one of the few weekends in the past
> couple of months when I haven't been either working or taking a plane someplace. But the weather
> finally broke, I was actually home, and the Surly Abomination cross bike was staring at me
> curiously. We had the MTBs out yesterday for a quick ride, mostly because my wife's shiny new
> Surly needed a few tweaks (as in "complete rebuild") on the rear wheel. Ran into
> elGordo/supabonbon on the George Washington Bridge. I think if you sat for a few hours on the GWB
> this weekend, you would have run into every cyclist in the city.
>
> Anyway, Gordo, you're right. We need to hit some dirt.
>
> I'm getting better at wheelbuilding. It only took me an hour and a half or so to detension the big
> 700c singlespeed wheel and build it back up, solid and true. Today is the day for the big cross
> bikes to play: my wife has now become a singlespeeder! We have his-and-hers Surly Crosscheck
> one-speeds. She's still not comfortable running fixed, so she freewheels and I put the bike in
> fixed-gear mode. We're both running 49x18, flying up Riverside Drive at 22 mph on a beautiful
> spring day. Riding a fixed-gear in Manhattan traffic is a truly sublime experience. I am totally
> in touch with my bike, moving fast. It's the usual Sunday afternoon traffic, rife with addled
> pinheads who Simply Must Be In Westchester NOW!
>
> We know how to deal with them.
>
> I think of the future. We're leaving Manhattan in a few months, going to pack up and move to
> Buffalo. I'm going to miss this city. ****, I'm going to need to buy some skis. I spin. Then it
> hits me: I'm going to be riding the same trails as duhSki... see you on the trails, Scott!
>
> Jim/Carla: has Frankie Froglegs sold those studded tires yet? ;-)
>
> CC

Word, mother. I remember you're busy for a few weekends. Unless we get April snow (which is far from
unprecedented), the trails should be somewhat rideable by then. Otherwise, we were discussing a
fixed gear city ride. Jim, I remember you've got one of those gimmicks. I can start passively
looking around for an cheapo old horizontally dropped road frame in Carla's size. I've got a
stripped pig-iron Giant in my possession, but it's roughly a 63-64cm frame. I'm not sure a fixed
gear with blocks on the pedals would be adviseable ;> There are messenger races around the city too.
That might be a fun reason to meet up. Or a good old Time's Up....

/s

"supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Otherwise, we were discussing a fixed gear city ride. Jim, I remember you've got one of those
> gimmicks. I can start passively looking around for an cheapo old horizontally dropped road frame
> in Carla's size.

Ugh, I dislike fixed gears...I'd rather bring my trials ride...

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!