RR: An early morning ride

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Dave Stocker, Jun 10, 2003.

  1. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    Between work, a two year old daughter and a wife in the 40th week, life seems to be conspiring to
    keep me off my bike. So yesterday while my family was still sleeping, I got up an hour earlier and
    headed out on the trail bike. It was 6:30 in the morning when I saddled up. The air was still cool
    and the sky was clear. I turned east and headed up Heiligenstein, pausing briefly to enjoy of the
    view of the Ängelbach valley in the morning light. Through the vineyards and the high grass I rode.
    A little up and a little down, but mostly I was just enjoying the light and the solitude. I stopped
    to feed grass to horses and take a couple of photographs. Then I looped around to the west and
    burned through the singletrack loop up on Galgenberg (which translates as "Gallows Hill", I wonder
    how it got that name).

    It was getting late, so I rode back down to my house and switched bikes to the old Haro that I ride
    to work. Then I rode back up Galgenberg, through the loop and down the other side toward the office.

    It was a short ride; only about an hour before changing bikes, but life is good.

    -Dave

    Tags:

  2. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Between work, a two year old daughter and a wife in the 40th week, life seems to be conspiring to
    > keep me off my bike. So yesterday while my
    family
    > was still sleeping, I got up an hour earlier and headed out on the trail bike. It was 6:30 in the
    > morning when I saddled up. The air was still
    cool
    > and the sky was clear. I turned east and headed up Heiligenstein, pausing briefly to enjoy of the
    > view of the Ängelbach valley in the morning light. Through the vineyards and the high grass I
    > rode. A little up and a little down, but mostly I was just enjoying the light and the solitude. I
    stopped
    > to feed grass to horses and take a couple of photographs. Then I looped around to the west and
    > burned through the singletrack loop up on
    Galgenberg
    > (which translates as "Gallows Hill", I wonder how it got that name).
    >

    > It was getting late, so I rode back down to my house and switched bikes to the old Haro that I
    > ride to work. Then I rode back up Galgenberg, through the loop and down the other side toward
    > the office.
    >

    > It was a short ride; only about an hour before changing bikes, but life is good.
    >
    > -Dave

    A reminder that good ride doesn't have to be a long ride. I can almost smell the fresh
    morning air :)
    --
    Westie