RR: An early morning ride

Dave Stocker

Guest
Between work, a two year old daughter and a wife in the 40th week, life seems to be conspiring to
keep me off my bike. So yesterday while my family was still sleeping, I got up an hour earlier and
headed out on the trail bike. It was 6:30 in the morning when I saddled up. The air was still cool
and the sky was clear. I turned east and headed up Heiligenstein, pausing briefly to enjoy of the
view of the Ängelbach valley in the morning light. Through the vineyards and the high grass I rode.
A little up and a little down, but mostly I was just enjoying the light and the solitude. I stopped
to feed grass to horses and take a couple of photographs. Then I looped around to the west and
burned through the singletrack loop up on Galgenberg (which translates as "Gallows Hill", I wonder
how it got that name).

It was getting late, so I rode back down to my house and switched bikes to the old Haro that I ride
to work. Then I rode back up Galgenberg, through the loop and down the other side toward the office.

It was a short ride; only about an hour before changing bikes, but life is good.

-Dave

"Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Between work, a two year old daughter and a wife in the 40th week, life seems to be conspiring to
> keep me off my bike. So yesterday while my
family
> was still sleeping, I got up an hour earlier and headed out on the trail bike. It was 6:30 in the
> morning when I saddled up. The air was still
cool
> and the sky was clear. I turned east and headed up Heiligenstein, pausing briefly to enjoy of the
> view of the Ängelbach valley in the morning light. Through the vineyards and the high grass I
> rode. A little up and a little down, but mostly I was just enjoying the light and the solitude. I
stopped
> to feed grass to horses and take a couple of photographs. Then I looped around to the west and
> burned through the singletrack loop up on
Galgenberg
> (which translates as "Gallows Hill", I wonder how it got that name).
>

> It was getting late, so I rode back down to my house and switched bikes to the old Haro that I
> ride to work. Then I rode back up Galgenberg, through the loop and down the other side toward
> the office.
>

> It was a short ride; only about an hour before changing bikes, but life is good.
>
> -Dave

A reminder that good ride doesn't have to be a long ride. I can almost smell the fresh
morning air :)
--
Westie