RR april showers...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S., Apr 5, 2003.

  1. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    bring snow, wind, rain and sun.

    Well as usual no body showed but me but that's ok. First ride of the year at Beacon. I love the
    windy 2 mile climb up, it's a great warm-up but today I'm kind of slow and low energy. The burn last
    year is invisible as everything is spouting green.

    The weather is definitely "variable" AS I leave the house snowflakes as big as feathers were flying
    around. Then a slight sprinkle, then the sun came out. The ride was one of those where every time
    you took a layer off the wind came up and every time you put it back on the sun came out.

    Someone's been doing some well intentioned but strange trail work... looks like they took a Pulaski
    to all the low places where pools collect so that they drain off to the side... not sure it's IMBA
    approved technique, but then this area is kind of a no-man's land for who owns it and who uses it.
    Also someone's cut some new trails to circumvent some of the fall line runs. Again, well
    intentioned.

    What I do love about this area is that is has so much granite so there are small and large ledges,
    hump and bumps in the trail and things to play on. I drop off the face of a boulder that I watched
    CutiePie all last season... all by myself, that was easy! There's a really sweet right twist area
    that has switchbacks (very tight U's) that cause me a lot of grief. After four tries, I get two out
    of three. Progress.

    I didn't go as far as I usually do. I got kind of lonely and burned out so I bailed. Back out the
    way I climbed... which means two miles of excellent banked corners through the forest.

    For you DH's out there. if you go to www.ridemonkey.com PNW forum there are lots of photos there of
    the DH course for the Beacon Bomber,. and the stuff that they play on.

    Penny

    Tags:

  2. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > bring snow, wind, rain and sun.
    >
    > Well as usual no body showed but me but that's ok. First ride of the year at Beacon. I love the
    > windy 2 mile climb up, it's a great warm-up but today I'm kind of slow and low energy. The burn
    > last year is invisible as everything is spouting green.
    >
    > The weather is definitely "variable" AS I leave the house snowflakes as big as feathers were
    > flying around. Then a slight sprinkle, then the sun came out. The ride was one of those where
    > every time you took a layer off the wind came up and every time you put it back on the sun
    > came out.
    >
    > Someone's been doing some well intentioned but strange trail work... looks like they took a
    > Pulaski to all the low places where pools collect so that they drain off to the side... not sure
    > it's IMBA approved technique, but then this area is kind of a no-man's land for who owns it and
    > who uses it. Also someone's cut some new trails to circumvent some of the fall line runs. Again,
    > well intentioned.
    >
    > What I do love about this area is that is has so much granite so there are small and large ledges,
    > hump and bumps in the trail and things to play on. I drop off the face of a boulder that I watched
    > CutiePie all last season... all by myself, that was easy! There's a really sweet right twist area
    > that has switchbacks (very tight U's) that cause me a lot of grief. After four tries, I get two
    > out of three. Progress.
    >
    > I didn't go as far as I usually do. I got kind of lonely and burned out so I bailed. Back out the
    > way I climbed... which means two miles of excellent banked corners through the forest.
    >
    > For you DH's out there. if you go to www.ridemonkey.com PNW forum there are lots of photos there
    > of the DH course for the Beacon Bomber,. and the stuff that they play on.
    >
    > Penny

    You're a tuff girl. Sounds like a fun area to ride, too. I took a long run today, and had sun in
    my face, occasional snow flurries and about a 25mph wind! By the time the weather makes up its
    mind it'll be
    100f.

    Paladin

  3. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 13:03:37 -0800, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >bring snow, wind, rain and sun.
    >
    >Well as usual no body showed but me but that's ok. First ride of the year at Beacon. I love the
    >windy 2 mile climb up, it's a great warm-up but today I'm kind of slow and low energy. The burn
    >last year is invisible as everything is spouting green.
    >
    >The weather is definitely "variable" AS I leave the house snowflakes as big as feathers were flying
    >around. Then a slight sprinkle, then the sun came out. The ride was one of those where every time
    >you took a layer off the wind came up and every time you put it back on the sun came out.
    >
    >Someone's been doing some well intentioned but strange trail work... looks like they took a Pulaski
    >to all the low places where pools collect so that they drain off to the side... not sure it's IMBA
    >approved technique, but then this area is kind of a no-man's land for who owns it and who uses it.
    >Also someone's cut some new trails to circumvent some of the fall line runs. Again, well
    >intentioned.
    >
    >What I do love about this area is that is has so much granite so there are small and large ledges,
    >hump and bumps in the trail and things to play on. I drop off the face of a boulder that I watched
    >CutiePie all last season... all by myself, that was easy! There's a really sweet right twist area
    >that has switchbacks (very tight U's) that cause me a lot of grief. After four tries, I get two out
    >of three. Progress.
    >
    >I didn't go as far as I usually do. I got kind of lonely and burned out so I bailed. Back out the
    >way I climbed... which means two miles of excellent banked corners through the forest.
    >
    >For you DH's out there. if you go to www.ridemonkey.com PNW forum there are lots of photos there of
    >the DH course for the Beacon Bomber,. and the stuff that they play on.
    >
    >Penny

    Nice, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    :-]