RR - Arcadia again

Stephen Baker

Guest
A little different this time - the RI-NEMBA/EFTA Fun Ride. From memory - about 10 miles of this:

http://members.aol.com/saildesign/image01a.jpg

interspersed with a few nice fast-ish sections (for Arcadia), including one where the whoop-de-doos
were so short that they merged into a long whoop-whoop-whoop- kinda thing. Immensely fun (although
my legs don't agree right now) and a great way to celebrate my first day on the Patch. Guess I need
more than 1 day to let my lungs get "back" to normal. ;-)

Steve

> A little different this time - the RI-NEMBA/EFTA Fun Ride. From memory - about 10 miles of this:
>
> http://members.aol.com/saildesign/image01a.jpg
>
> interspersed with a few nice fast-ish sections (for Arcadia), including
one
> where the whoop-de-doos were so short that they merged into a long whoop-whoop-whoop- kinda thing.
> Immensely fun (although my legs don't agree right now) and a great way to celebrate my first day
> on the Patch. Guess I need more than 1 day to let
my
> lungs get "back" to normal. ;-)

Hmm... I've heard those birth control patches can cause breast enlargement. Or was it hair growth?
Prolly a combination of the two :)

Seriously, though, Steve, CONGRATS on quitting smoking!!! I was a very heavy smoker (3-4
packs/day!); quit back in '91. Then I went to a convention in Minneapolis in 2000, and tried cigars.
Next thing ya know, I'm inhaling the hell outta them and fully addicted again. Finally just bought
some God-damned Kool 100's (drug of choice, you might say :)

Quit again last December 27th (using the gum), but it's been very hard. Not a day has gone by that I
haven't wanted to smoke, although it HAS been letting up just a little of late, thank God. So just
hang in there!

Bill "if I can do it ANYONE can" S.

Sorni says:

>Hmm... I've heard those birth control patches can cause breast enlargement. Or was it hair growth?
>Prolly a combination of the two :)

Hair growth I could live with. I used to think I was just an Old Fart, but my kids assure me that
with baldness, I have graduated to "Old Coot". A little extra would allow me to stay younger
longer (?) ;-P

>Seriously, though, Steve, CONGRATS on quitting smoking!!!

Thanks - but, as you know, that is just the first step. Glone (SWMBO) quit while pregnant some 24
years ago, and still occasionally admits to the urge to smoke.

>I was a very heavy smoker (3-4 packs/day!);

Holy Sh*t!! I'm only a 1 pack/day guy, if that. More power to ya if you can give upfrom that level.
So far, GLone has said she'llpay for the patches, on the basis that if I start up again, she can
quite legitimately let me have it! Talk about impetus! ;-))

Steve

> A little different this time - the RI-NEMBA/EFTA Fun Ride. From memory - about 10 miles of this:
>
> http://members.aol.com/saildesign/image01a.jpg
>
> interspersed with a few nice fast-ish sections (for Arcadia), including
one
> where the whoop-de-doos were so short that they merged into a long whoop-whoop-whoop- kinda thing.
> Immensely fun (although my legs don't agree right now) and a great way to celebrate my first day
> on the Patch. Guess I need more than 1 day to let
my
> lungs get "back" to normal. ;-)
>
> Steve

Good luck! It took three tries over two years until I finally kicked the habit. Don't give up even
if you've tried quitting before!

Chris

Chris says:

>Don't give up even if you've tried quitting before!

No worries. I hope ;-) I was _really_ ****** off at the Nicoderm literature, however, which says on
every page "should you fall off the wagon, don't worry...". It sounds like they are subliminally
planting the seed of failure (not that _sub_liminal at all, actually) , so you can buy a whole other
batch of their product the next time you "quit".

No intentions of going back, but then i didn't have any intetions of going back last time.

Time will tell, <insert _your_ favourite platitude/cliche here>

Steve

James says:

>And when exactly does the fun come in? Especially on a fully rigid bike.

Lots of fun, all the time - rigid or not. I can say that now that my legs are working again ;-) The
trick is knowing how to bounce around on a rigid without killing yourself, and after 45 years of
riding a rigid bike, I got it down to a fine art. Seriously, it only _felt_ like 10 miles of that
rock garden. I seriously think that Arcadia is the Nursery that all other rock gardens get their
rocks from. Wherever there are no rocks, the roots come through, and every so often (but not at all
often) there is a little bit of buff trail, under the leaves or the pine needles. Arcadia is tough
at times, but when you finish the ride you _know_ you've had fun.

Steve