RR - Arcadia, RI

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Stephen Baker, May 11, 2003.

  1. Well, since the girls decided to take Mum out for a Mother's Day something-or-other, the time looked
    right to head for the woods. Arcadia is described in one book I read as "Singletrack, RI" which may
    or may not mean anything sincce the state is really only big enough singletrack... Bike in car,
    checklist completed, and I'm off. I'm not wildly familiar with Arcadia, despite riding around it a
    few times, but how lost can you get with "Dude" riding along? ("Dude" is a Garmin eTrek - as in
    "Dude, where's my car?") Park at the Browning Mill Pond, and head out. As always, the intro is calm
    and gentle, coaxing you on......

    http://members.aol.com/rihardrock/arcadia/arcadia01a.jpg

    Just around the corner, the hills begin (OK, "mounds" might be more accurate, but they're more than
    we have in Jamestown). Arcadia is typical New England turf - rocks and roots, rocks under leaves,
    rocks under leaves hiding behind roots..... Usually I'm going through here with the rest of the
    crowd on a Fun Run, but it was nice to be totally alone, able to pick my own pace (slow) and stop to
    "take photos" while I regain some semblance of breathing. I'll let the photos speak for themselves
    as to the scenery here:

    http://members.aol.com/rihardrock/arcadia/arcadia02a.jpg
    http://members.aol.com/rihardrock/arcadia/arcadia04a.jpg
    http://members.aol.com/rihardrock/arcadia/arcadia05a.jpg
    http://members.aol.com/rihardrock/arcadia/arcadia07a.jpg
    http://members.aol.com/rihardrock/arcadia/arcadia09a.jpg

    About halfway through, I stopped at a bridge, obviously "new last year", for a breather, and lo and
    behold, 4 SSers (3 guys and a gal) come squelching down the hill from my left and stop to chat. They
    are out marking the trail for next Sundays Fun Ride. Two of the SS's are clean enough to read the
    labels, one Bianchi DISS and a Gunnar Ruffian, the other two were conversions. I'd like to think I
    would enjoy a SS, but the knees and lungs are begging me not to try ;-)

    All in all, only about 6 miles, but quite enough for the moment. Now, I just have to remember that
    it isn't THAT far to drive there. Must do more often.

    Steve

    Tags:

  2. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Stephen Baker wrote:
    > Well, since the girls decided to take Mum out for a Mother's Day something-or-other, the time
    > looked right to head for the woods. Arcadia is described in one book I read as "Singletrack, RI"
    > which may or may not mean anything sincce the state is really only big enough singletrack... Bike
    > in car, checklist completed, and I'm off. I'm not wildly familiar with Arcadia, despite riding
    > around it a few times, but how lost can you get with "Dude" riding along? ("Dude" is a Garmin
    > eTrek - as in "Dude, where's my car?") Park at the Browning Mill Pond, and head out. As always,
    > the intro is calm and gentle, coaxing you on......
    >
    > http://members.aol.com/rihardrock/arcadia/arcadia01a.jpg

    nice pix Steve! thanks.

    Penny

  3. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    So you hit Arcadia Management Area today and loved every minute of it. I hit Bluff Point now turned
    in to a management area. Boarded up solar restrooms, all signs removed, boardwalk removed at the
    beach. All done by the state of CT. Low or no State funds the way it read in the news paper. The mtb
    still come and the hikers are still going around the double track loop. This area may go unchanged
    due to the low funds. But the management I see coming is closed to the public when the State calls
    for it due to staffing and funding. Like during the big deer hunt every year to bring down the deer
    population this time it wil be human population control.

    Fire up MTB 03

  4. crazy6r54 says:

    > So you hit Arcadia Management Area today and loved every minute of it.

    Yup! ;-)

    >I hit Bluff Point now turned in to a management area. Boarded up solar restrooms, all signs
    >removed, boardwalk removed at the beach. All done by the state of CT. Low or no State funds the way
    >it read in the news paper.

    ;-(

  5. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    [email protected] (Stephen Baker) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Well, since the girls decided to take Mum out for a Mother's Day something-or-other, the time
    > looked right to head for the woods. Arcadia is described in one book I read as "Singletrack, RI"
    > which may or may not mean anything sincce the state is really only big enough singletrack... Bike
    > in car, checklist completed, and I'm off. I'm not wildly familiar with Arcadia, despite riding
    > around it a few times, but how lost can you get with "Dude" riding along? ("Dude" is a Garmin
    > eTrek - as in "Dude, where's my car?") Park at the Browning Mill Pond, and head out. As always,
    > the intro is calm and gentle, coaxing you on......
    >
    > http://members.aol.com/rihardrock/arcadia/arcadia01a.jpg
    >
    > Just around the corner, the hills begin (OK, "mounds" might be more accurate, but they're more
    > than we have in Jamestown). Arcadia is typical New England turf - rocks and roots, rocks under
    > leaves, rocks under leaves hiding behind roots..... Usually I'm going through here with the rest
    > of the crowd on a Fun Run, but it was nice to be totally alone, able to pick my own pace (slow)
    > and stop to "take photos" while I regain some semblance of breathing. I'll let the photos speak
    > for themselves as to the scenery here:
    >
    > http://members.aol.com/rihardrock/arcadia/arcadia02a.jpg
    > http://members.aol.com/rihardrock/arcadia/arcadia04a.jpg
    > http://members.aol.com/rihardrock/arcadia/arcadia05a.jpg
    > http://members.aol.com/rihardrock/arcadia/arcadia07a.jpg
    > http://members.aol.com/rihardrock/arcadia/arcadia09a.jpg
    >
    > About halfway through, I stopped at a bridge, obviously "new last year", for a breather, and lo
    > and behold, 4 SSers (3 guys and a gal) come squelching down the hill from my left and stop to
    > chat. They are out marking the trail for next Sundays Fun Ride. Two of the SS's are clean enough
    > to read the labels, one Bianchi DISS and a Gunnar Ruffian, the other two were conversions. I'd
    > like to think I would enjoy a SS, but the knees and lungs are begging me not to try ;-)
    >
    > All in all, only about 6 miles, but quite enough for the moment. Now, I just have to remember that
    > it isn't THAT far to drive there. Must do more often.
    >
    > Steve

    Beautiful pictures Steve!

    As far as the single speeding goes, you really should give it a try. I ride mine so much now that
    I've got my full suspension bike for sale. I'm sure you would end up agreeing it's not as hard as
    you may first think it is.

  6. Gman

    Gman Guest

    > Beautiful pictures Steve!
    >
    > As far as the single speeding goes, you really should give it a try. I ride mine so much now that
    > I've got my full suspension bike for sale. I'm sure you would end up agreeing it's not as hard as
    > you may first think it is.

    And I have to say, that area looks like it would be PERFECT for singlespeeding.

  7. [email protected] wrote:
    > [email protected] (Stephen Baker) wrote in message news:
    >>About halfway through, I stopped at a bridge, obviously "new last year", for a breather, and lo
    >>and behold, 4 SSers (3 guys and a gal) come squelching down the hill from my left and stop to
    >>chat. They are out marking the trail for next Sundays Fun Ride.

    I'm SO bummed I'm gonna miss this ride, but I'll be in TN that weekend.

    > As far as the single speeding goes, you really should give it a try. I ride mine so much now that
    > I've got my full suspension bike for sale.

    I'll get him on the MonoCog in June at Bear Brook. (that is unless he wusses out like he did a last
    years Turkey Burner ;-)

    > I'm sure you would end up agreeing it's not as hard as you may first think it is.

    Shhhh!!!!!! Whatsamattaferyou!?!?!?!? Most folks still think to ride a SS takes some magical
    super-human trait. Don't be blowing that. Bur serioulsy, Steve will be an easy covert since he's
    "oldschool" already?

  8. MTBSCottie says:

    >As far as the single speeding goes, you really should give it a try.

    I'd love to, but I think the only way I'm going to be able to afford it this year is to hang out at
    Bear Brook more often ;-)

    How's that couch, John? Room for two?

    Steve

  9. Stephen Baker wrote:
    > How's that couch, John? Room for two?

    We can find roon for you for a night or two. Friday night especially since SWMBO will be
    outta town ;-)