RR: ATTA Diggers Rest (13/05/07)

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by gplama, May 13, 2007.

  1. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    From laying in a ditch broken to a podium place in a week, woohoo! - I'd like to thank Australian Unity, Epworth Hospitals (Richmond and Box Hill), whatever painkillers I'm currently on. ;)

    40.7km/h average, main target achieved.. I ended up with 2nd place overall in the 20km event. Lots of room to improve! My jaw was on the ground at the bling floating around like the fully dimpled Zipp wheel decked out bike... I can't imagine the kind of training and commitment it would take to justify that kind of purchase - and imagine how... oh screw it, who cares what they have, its what they DO with it! :)

    Nice warm up in the carpark... see YouTube: http://tinyurl.com/26gctr then an easy roll to the start line. Off and racing - my first catch was just after the 'dip' - then I picked off a few more before the roundabout. 15:15 to the roundabout, not happy with that, the head wind was a killer. Smoking along the straight section on the way back, slight tail wind and cranking along at 50km/h while holding a good HR. Back into the dip and full steam climbing out (250m or so at around 5-6%). Out of the saddle for 100m of it, but that hurt a little more than usual. Finish line in sight at around 27mins - all out from there - 100m sprint to the line - yep that hurt.

    HR graph is a perfect flat-line just where it should have been, with a slight bump at the end and hitting the days max HR just over the line.

    Improvements - Skin suit, real TT wheels, more training, more bone healing.

    My follow up appointment with the surgeon is on Thursday, I'll be sure to tell him about how well his handy work holds up.. and I'll take the pictures to prove it... ;)

    Ess took a bite of the big one and was spotted chewing handlebars in the 40km event!

    cheers,
    lama

    Tags:

  2. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    On May 13, 8:36 pm, gplama <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > From laying in a ditch broken to a podium place in a week, woohoo! - I'd
    > like to thank Australian Unity, Epworth Hospitals (Richmond and Box
    > Hill), whatever painkillers I'm currently on. ;)

    Are those drugs on any banned list, Llama?

  3. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    *wiki search...* "non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug".... damn, I should have asked for the OperaciĆ³n Puerto approved treatment!

  4. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    On May 14, 8:11 am, gplama <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > Bleve Wrote:
    >
    > > Are those drugs on any banned list, Llama?

    > *wiki search...* "non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug".... damn, I
    > should have asked for the OperaciĆ³n Puerto approved treatment!

    The definitive list is here :

    http://www.asada.gov.au/

  5. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    Tick - VOLTAREN (DICLOFENAC EC)
    Tick - Panadeine Forte
    Cross - Endone

    I chose to take the Voltaren over the Endone... based on the fact that the Voltaren was 8hr (Endone 4hr) and one of the possible side effects was anorexia, an appealing 'feature' to someone who likes hills and needs to lose weight! ;)

    Cancel the press conference, I'm clean.

  6. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    On May 14, 9:01 am, gplama <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > Tick - VOLTAREN (DICLOFENAC EC)
    > Tick - Panadeine Forte
    > Cross - Endone
    >
    > I chose to take the Voltaren over the Endone... based on the fact that
    > the Voltaren was 8hr (Endone 4hr) and one of the possible side effects
    > was anorexia, an appealing 'feature' to someone who likes hills and
    > needs to lose weight! ;)
    >
    > Cancel the press conference, I'm clean.

    :)

    It is important to be sure. Remember what happened to Shane Perkins,
    one of the juniors that went over to the junior worlds in the US, took
    something that here, is ok, but there, with an identical brand name
    and product name, it had a banned steroid in it. He got stripped of
    his medals, but not sanctioned, as it was deemed an honest mistake.

  7. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    Yep, I was surprised they'd given me Endone... I told everyone along the way "I need this pinned, I _have_ to race bikes!"... yet there was no heads up on the prescribed meds in competition. I guess it always comes down to ones own responsibility of what goes into the body.

    and speaking of.. time for a coffee!

  8. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    They wouldn't bother unless they are sports surgeons. And the ASAD/WADA listings can change regularly. I have trained my GP and my chiro/naturopath (who competes in kickboxing) and they give me the heads up on active ingredients. I always double check anyway.

    Not sure if you are a legend or plain loco crazy racing on Sunday - at least it was an ITT and minimal risk of falling in a bunch. Your mother would have had kittens I am sure. :p But... Well done Lama !! Bet it was good to be on the bike :D

  9. monsterman

    monsterman New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2005
    If hope if anyone feels they have to kick six colours of living sh!t out of me, its your chiro/naturopath - or at least someone trained to treat my injuries :p