RR: ATV'rs = Thieves

Carla A-G

Guest
It was a supposed to be a crappy day on Sunday morning, so we decided to
sleep in. We woke up late early morning to find a beautiful, sunny and hot
day. The friggin' weathermen...you can never believe them, damned liars they
are...

We got out of bed, dressed up, packed the bikes and made out way to BSP for
an afternoon ride. It was hot as hell and very humid, a sure sign that rain
was on the way for much later in the afternoon.

We got to the trail and it was empty, we decided that we would ride the
whole park and include all the sections. We felt great and riding hard until
we got into the Brickyard section and saw 4 young boys sitting around near
the sandpit. Something was suspicious...

Jim rode up to them first, I was just behind him. They stopped him and asked
him a question, they all looked like they were concerned about something by
the look on their faces. Their ages ranged from about 12 to 15 years old or
so. I pulled up and caught what they were saying to Jim...

Apparently, they were playing the woods and had left their personal
belongings sitting on top of a log. While they were playing in the jumps
with their their bikes, a couple of ATV'rs (which are highly illegal in the
trails) pulled up to where they were playing and next thing you know...a
cellphone and a cd player were missing off the log. The kids said they
approached the ATV riders and questioned them about the missing items and
the ATV'rs claimed they saw nothing and knew nothing about it, then quickly
jumped on their 4 wheelers and took off...

That's when we showed up. The kids looked upset and confused. Jim and I got
all the details and we asked if they called the police, the kids told us
they were afraid to and didn't know what else to do. We offered to call the
police. Jim made the call, all the info was provided and we told the kids
where to meet the police, on a road nearby to the trail. Off they went to
meet the police. As Jim and I were standing in the trail trying to decide
how else to help these kids, the 2 ATV'rs rode about 50 feet away from us
and rode to the top of the hill where the the items were stolen, stopped
their bikes and sat there staring at us. We were not going to approach them,
we had no idea how they would react if we said anything to them, so I jumped
on my bike and rode back to the road where the kids were waiting, hoping the
police would show up quick enough to catch them. Jim stood there and watched
them. Eventually the police showed up, by the time they did, the scoundrels
were gone. We all met up with the police by the side of the road, all
details were provided and then Jim and I went back on the trail to complete
our ride...an APB was sent out and all we heard were police sirens
everywhere surrounding the trail...

We rode along and got back to the same pace where we left off. We got into
the Peckham Loop and suddenly a helicopter was buzzing over us. It was a
police copter and probably was looking for the thieves. The copter hovered
over us for a couple minutes, probably because they saw movement and
helmets and decided to check it out, then they probably realized that we
were only mountainbikers. The chopper continued flying low and we heard it
far off as it continued to survey the trails...

We eventually completed the ride and got back to the truck when it started
to pour rain. We had made it to the truck just in time after our adventurous
ride...

We don't know if the buggers were ever caught or not, but I really hope they
were...bunch of useless thieves...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Carla A-G wrote:
> [...]
> the trail...
>
> We rode along and got back to the same pace where we left off. We got
> into the Peckham Loop and suddenly a helicopter was buzzing over us.
> It was a police copter and probably was looking for the thieves. The
> copter hovered over us for a couple minutes, probably because they
> saw movement and helmets and decided to check it out, then they
> probably realized that we were only mountainbikers. The chopper
> continued flying low and we heard it far off as it continued to
> survey the trails...
>
> We eventually completed the ride and got back to the truck when it
> started to pour rain. We had made it to the truck just in time after
> our adventurous ride...
>
> We don't know if the buggers were ever caught or not, but I really
> hope they were...bunch of useless thieves...

Wow, you sure got quite a response. You think it was more for the illegal
ATV-ing than the stolen items?

My biz is known as "BSP", so that place HAD to be great ;-)

"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:J%[email protected]...
> Wow, you sure got quite a response. You think it was more for the illegal
> ATV-ing than the stolen items?
>
> My biz is known as "BSP", so that place HAD to be great ;-)

Yes, the state is cracking down on ATV'rs with a little more authority it
seems, they have gotten out of control with their 4 wheelers and ripping all
the trails up.

BSP = Bethpage State Park...our local quick ride.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Good point.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Carla A-G wrote:
> [...]
> the trail...
>
> We rode along and got back to the same pace where we left off. We got
> into the Peckham Loop and suddenly a helicopter was buzzing over us.
> It was a police copter and probably was looking for the thieves. The
> copter hovered over us for a couple minutes, probably because they
> saw movement and helmets and decided to check it out, then they
> probably realized that we were only mountainbikers. The chopper
> continued flying low and we heard it far off as it continued to
> survey the trails...
>
> We eventually completed the ride and got back to the truck when it
> started to pour rain. We had made it to the truck just in time after
> our adventurous ride...
>
> We don't know if the buggers were ever caught or not, but I really
> hope they were...bunch of useless thieves...

Damn girl... You are just chock full of drama! The ATVers here sound like a
similar type... rip everything up, smoke weed, do their relatives... oh
wait...

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
<snip>

> Damn girl... You are just chock full of drama! The ATVers here sound like a
> similar type... rip everything up, smoke weed, do their relatives... oh
> wait...

I always thought of them as more the meth/tobacco smoking, cheap beer
drinking (and then shooting up the cans and bottles in the woods) types
myself (although I don't really know).

Matt

MattB wrote:
> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> <snip>
> >

> > Damn girl... You are just chock full of drama! The ATVers here

sound like a
> > similar type... rip everything up, smoke weed, do their

relatives... oh
> > wait...
> >

> I always thought of them as more the meth/tobacco smoking, cheap beer

> drinking (and then shooting up the cans and bottles in the woods)

types
> myself (although I don't really know).
>
> Matt

That's the Western Colorado version.

JDun seen em

JD wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>
>>Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>><snip>
>>

>>>Damn girl... You are just chock full of drama! The ATVers here

> sound like a
>
>>>similar type... rip everything up, smoke weed, do their

> relatives... oh
>
>>>wait...
>>>

>>I always thought of them as more the meth/tobacco smoking, cheap beer

>>drinking (and then shooting up the cans and bottles in the woods)

> types
>
>>myself (although I don't really know).
>>
>>Matt

> That's the Western Colorado version.
>
> JDun seen em

So that's where all those bullet holes came from. I don't think I have
ever seen a sign outside of Denver that doesn't have at least one bullet
hole in it.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> JD wrote:

<snip>
>> That's the Western Colorado version.
>>
>> JDun seen em
>>

> So that's where all those bullet holes came from. I don't think I have
> ever seen a sign outside of Denver that doesn't have at least one bullet
> hole in it.

We've got a few in town that aren't all shot up... yet.

Matt

We have 4x4 idiots rutting the **** out of the forest roads and any single
track they can get to. They leave all the cardboard and **** they used to
get unstuck, and plenty of beer cans and bottles too. The Forest service
here hasn't done a thing. The ruts are so deep in places that you have to
decide to either get impaled in a juniper tree or face a Pete Rose dirt bib.
Forget about choppers and police cars, they are too busy busting speeders,
drunk state legislators, and each other to care. It's New Mexico after all!
Where the heck do you live that you got such a great response?

"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> We have 4x4 idiots rutting the **** out of the forest roads and any single
> track they can get to. They leave all the cardboard and **** they used to
> get unstuck, and plenty of beer cans and bottles too. The Forest service
> here hasn't done a thing. The ruts are so deep in places that you have to
> decide to either get impaled in a juniper tree or face a Pete Rose dirt

bib.
> Forget about choppers and police cars, they are too busy busting speeders,
> drunk state legislators, and each other to care. It's New Mexico after

all!
> Where the heck do you live that you got such a great response?

Long Island, New Yawk.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> > JD wrote:

> <snip>
> >> That's the Western Colorado version.
> >>
> >> JDun seen em
> >>

> > So that's where all those bullet holes came from. I don't think I have
> > ever seen a sign outside of Denver that doesn't have at least one bullet
> > hole in it.
> >

> We've got a few in town that aren't all shot up... yet.

Paint's still wet on those ones though.

Shaun aRe

Mark wrote:
> We have 4x4 idiots rutting the **** out of the forest roads and any single
> track they can get to. They leave all the cardboard and **** they used to
> get unstuck, and plenty of beer cans and bottles too. The Forest service
> here hasn't done a thing. The ruts are so deep in places that you have to
> decide to either get impaled in a juniper tree or face a Pete Rose dirt bib.
> Forget about choppers and police cars, they are too busy busting speeders,
> drunk state legislators, and each other to care. It's New Mexico after all!
> Where the heck do you live that you got such a great response?

NM has some of the worst redneck damage I've seen. I go to Taos for work
a few times a year and it's staggering the amount of **** and damage
there is in the backcountry.
Here we do a couple of annual cleanup days (generally only MTBers
participating cleaning up others' garbage) on local trails every year
and that helps keep the sheer volume down. By the looks of some of the
NM backcountry areas I've seen either it builds up much faster or they
don't do any kind of regular cleanup. And what's with all the abandoned
school buses? I think the abandoned school bus should be on the NM flag
or something. Maybe that's where all the old school buses go to die...

Matt

MattB wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>> We have 4x4 idiots rutting the **** out of the forest roads and any
>> single track they can get to. They leave all the cardboard and ****
>> they used to get unstuck, and plenty of beer cans and bottles too.
>> The Forest service here hasn't done a thing. The ruts are so deep in
>> places that you have to decide to either get impaled in a juniper
>> tree or face a Pete Rose dirt bib. Forget about choppers and police
>> cars, they are too busy busting speeders, drunk state legislators,
>> and each other to care. It's New Mexico after all! Where the heck
>> do you live that you got such a great response?

> NM has some of the worst redneck damage I've seen. I go to Taos for
> work a few times a year and it's staggering the amount of **** and
> damage there is in the backcountry.
> Here we do a couple of annual cleanup days (generally only MTBers
> participating cleaning up others' garbage) on local trails every year
> and that helps keep the sheer volume down. By the looks of some of the
> NM backcountry areas I've seen either it builds up much faster or they
> don't do any kind of regular cleanup. And what's with all the
> abandoned school buses? I think the abandoned school bus should be on
> the NM flag or something. Maybe that's where all the old school buses
> go to die...
> Matt

It's probably not the NM residents though since they are some of the poorest
people in the country. Blame it on the friggen Texans. Ever go through
Angel Fire in the winter? Nothing but Texas plates on all the Escalades.

Same thing is happening in Colorado. Next time you see a 30' motorhome
pulling a trailer full of 4-wheelers, check where it's from.

Then there was the time I was sitting in Ouray eating lunch as a half
million dollar motor home pulling an H2 drives through town.....and on the
bike rack where two Murray mtbikes.......go figure!

Gary

GeeDubb wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>
>>Mark wrote:
>>
>>>We have 4x4 idiots rutting the **** out of the forest roads and any
>>>single track they can get to. They leave all the cardboard and ****
>>>they used to get unstuck, and plenty of beer cans and bottles too.
>>>The Forest service here hasn't done a thing. The ruts are so deep in
>>>places that you have to decide to either get impaled in a juniper
>>>tree or face a Pete Rose dirt bib. Forget about choppers and police
>>>cars, they are too busy busting speeders, drunk state legislators,
>>>and each other to care. It's New Mexico after all! Where the heck
>>>do you live that you got such a great response?

>>NM has some of the worst redneck damage I've seen. I go to Taos for
>>work a few times a year and it's staggering the amount of **** and
>>damage there is in the backcountry.
>>Here we do a couple of annual cleanup days (generally only MTBers
>>participating cleaning up others' garbage) on local trails every year
>>and that helps keep the sheer volume down. By the looks of some of the
>>NM backcountry areas I've seen either it builds up much faster or they
>>don't do any kind of regular cleanup. And what's with all the
>>abandoned school buses? I think the abandoned school bus should be on
>>the NM flag or something. Maybe that's where all the old school buses
>>go to die...
>>Matt

> It's probably not the NM residents though since they are some of the poorest
> people in the country. Blame it on the friggen Texans. Ever go through
> Angel Fire in the winter? Nothing but Texas plates on all the Escalades.
>
> Same thing is happening in Colorado. Next time you see a 30' motorhome
> pulling a trailer full of 4-wheelers, check where it's from.
>
> Then there was the time I was sitting in Ouray eating lunch as a half
> million dollar motor home pulling an H2 drives through town.....and on the
> bike rack where two Murray mtbikes.......go figure!
>
> Gary

I suspect the standard-fare trash is NM residents. Stuff like
mattresses, bottles and cans, and did I mention school buses?

We see those campers here that are basically like a really sweet "rock
star" style tour bus. Amazing how much money can into them. I've heard
figures as high as 1 Million. They'll often be towing a BMW or Lexus SUV
and/or big boat and some cheesy Wal Mart bikes.

Matt

On Thu, 19 May 2005 09:15:13 -0700, GeeDubb wrote:

> Ever go through Angel Fire in the winter? Nothing but Texas plates on
> all the Escalades.

Hmm, well you have to give them extra credit for having the stones to ride
ON the Escalades, rather than in them. ;-)

--
-BB-
To e-mail me, unmunge my address